Herman Miller and Logitech G Enhance the Embody Chair For Pro Gamers

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Bearface

Bearface Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070ti
    Gaming Chairs are hot garbage. High end office chairs are worth their weight in gold. If your sitting at your desk 8+ hours a day you will barely notice any fatigue. There is a reason you don't see gaming chairs in office settings. Gaming chairs are not ergonomically friendly, and often have low quality builds which is why they are cheaper. The marketing has paid every streamer and gaming site to push these chairs, so people are brainwashed into getting them. Yes High end office chairs are expensive, but they are worth it. I have a steelcase leap v2 and you can get them under $500. One of the best purchases for my office period. When I see people balk at the price I just roll my eyes. If you want a Herman miller their is a huge used market. Lot's of companies replace their chairs every few years so you can get a lightly used one for half the price.

tived likes this.
  2. 1999 called, they want the con man who came up with this scam back in jail again

"Logitech G took a first step into the world of seating ergonomics for gamers, streamers, and esports athletes today when they unveiled a series of high performance gaming furniture and accessories"

- :D:D:D:D

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2020
  3. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    But none of the chairs are suitable for petite gamers.

4. "For an additional $499 we can add the inclusive bundle to your order" - Logitech G

5. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    have a look at Herman Miller and similar ergonomic chair makers range and you will definitely find something for a petite person, more so than for a plus size person ( I am unfortunately in triple digits)

6. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    My friend has the capisco stool - it's awesome.

It's funny how in this thread you can tell who has actually sat on a decent high end chair and who hasn't.

I'm not saying people should rush out and buy a $1200 chair but they are definitely 5 billion times more comfortable and better constructed than a DX Racer or similar office depot type chair and come with literally 6x the warranty as the DX Racer.

How do you figure no dimensions?

https://store.hermanmiller.com/gami...g-embody-gaming-chair/2517590.html?lang=en_US

tived likes this.
  7. Interesting; how so?
    So.. you're saying people should buy the chair, just don't do it in haste?

I don't know man - I'm kind of getting a feeling you're talking out of both sides of your own mouth here... to paraphrase you "people have opinions but have no clue what they are talking about" "I'm not telling people what to do but I basically am telling people what to do"

Maybe you should take a nap and make up your mind about what you want to actually say, regroup & come back when you've figured it out.

8. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm saying that if it's anything like the original Embody chair that it's probably worth $1200 but the reason why I say don't rush out is that you can probably get one or a similar "level" chair for cheaper, as I mentioned in the previous page. Plus I'd highly recommend sitting on the chair and making sure it's right for you before rushing out and buying it.

I'm not specifically saying you do, but I think people underestimate the quality of these chairs compared to your standard office chair. It's almost like sitting in a Honda Fit, then a Mercedes S class.. most people would prefer the S class seat but some people may not want to pay that price and that's fine - but you can't sit in both and tell me there is no difference in overall comfort there.

Ergonomically the chair is going to be better constructed than any standard office chair - the designers of these higher end chairs literally do posture studies with thousands of people in an attempt to create a design that would accommodate the largest percentile. Then they add a massive amount of adjustments - from tilt forward, to tilt backward, up, down, to seat itself being able to be pushed forward/backward, in some cases the seat can pivot separately from the chair itself, to the height on the arm rests, to the arm rests themselves being able to move 2" inches bidirectionally, etc. Typically you have an adjustable lumbar control in both height and tension and often a headrest (although the embody doesn't have this). Most chairs under $500 don't have all this and even the stuff they do have probably isn't as adjustable as the ones mentioned in this thread (leap, aeron, embody, gesture, hag, etc).

On top of the ergonomics and adjustability you also have the comfort of the fabric/cushioning/suspension itself. They aren't just filling a void of leather with some fluffly material - in the case of the embody it's multiple springs/mesh support system that's fairly breathable yet distributes weight very evenly.. again it's way more comfy than the typical office chair. Here they seem to be adding some copper wicking material - I have no idea if this works. I know my Motorcycle Helmet has something called CoolJade Lining that wicks moisture and makes you feel cooler and it works really well (https://virusintl.com.au/pages/cooljade-fabric-technology) presumably this acts in a similar way.

Then you have the build quality and warranty. These chairs are just usually made extremely well and are backed by a 12 year warranty.

Again at $1200 it's steep and there are other "end game" chairs on the same level as the Embody, like the Leap V2 by Steelcase or Aeron by Herman Miller - both of which you can get for much cheaper. I think people should check those out first. But I guess my point is that in a lot of these threads I always see people scoff at the idea of paying $800 or $1000+ for a chair but when you actually sit in one of these chairs you typically go "oh, I kind of get it now" - it's like buying a Lian Li case vs a Rosewill, or getting a solid wood Butcher Block table instead of an Ikea one. Or buying a pair of Sennheiser HD800's instead of a Amazon Basic headphones. The purpose is kind of the same, you sit in both, but the quality is night and day different, in this case the comfort/adjustability and warranty are also night and day different than like a DX Racer or other equivalent chair.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  9. True
    Interesting; one reason I posted that above snapshot was to separate the fact of how Logitech throwing their brand-name appears to simply add an additional several hundred dollars on the final value; in a sense to sort of show where others may be coming from. I don't think they intend to bash the chair's build quality but just are offended by the "mock" quote on quote "price fixed" market values that are being invented by some companies for these niche products. Some of these areas don't really have a whole lot to go around so it's probably easier for Logitech to just overcharge. Whereas a University is more likely (bulk order or not) to say "no this is what we pay for these chairs based on such and such"
    Agreed
    True, some people do scoff - there is that adage "you pay for quality" I do think in markets that aren't saturated with as much product or competition the vendors try to take advantage until that becomes the case though. Take away the label and skin etc..

EDIT: The Embody Gaming Chair, Motia Gaming Desk, and Ollin Monitor Arm all have 12-year warranties with the base of the table being covered for 5-years. Our warranty covers everything— including electrical components, casters, pneumatic cylinders, tilts, and all moving mechanisms. And, when warranty work is performed in the U.S. and Canada, Herman Miller foots the bill.

I'd just wonder if that's including accidental; Does it cover normal wear and tear - down payments need to be made etc. What qualifies "normal use" what doesn't qualify it what encompasses accidental or not. There's a number to call & I'd assume I'd probably need to inquire about that to find out. The fact that it isn't anywhere in writing is a disqualifier for me. The last part is ambiguous "Herman Miller foots the bill" in what regard do they foot it? Anything? Everything? up to a certain point? Generally that'd mean they just eat any cost but it's a little weak writing for terms & conditions on a 12 year warranty plan.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 23, 2020

10. drwoodcomb

drwoodcomb Member

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti 6GB
    “Together, the two companies spent nearly two years studying esport pros and players around the globe to understand their needs.“

LOL What a bunch of bullshit. This is the exact same chair that’s been around for years but with different colors and a higher price tag

11. Skylinestar

Skylinestar Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA GTX 1070
    Nope. I find a seat depth of 16" (40cm) on the smallest Aeron too big for me. If you're wondering about my body size, I'm using Ikea Pahl kid's table as my desktop.

tived likes this.
  12. HoWxCoRe

HoWxCoRe Member

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FTW ULTRA
    2 words. Secret Labs.

13. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    1500$ chair and doesn't even come with a headrest. Yup, that's Herman Miller.

I use HM Aeron at work and barely notice any difference in comfort from 130€ Ikea chair (and it actually has a headrest!).

14. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

15. CronoGraal

CronoGraal Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 6900XT Merc 319
    some people here dont seem to understand the products herman miller produce. they're a high end ergonomic office chair company and this price is in line with their usual stuff.

the logitech collab is unusual (like...seriously, what?) but i guess its exposure to the gaming world and will appeal to those who can afford it.

i'd personally not get anything of the sort. my dxracer has been doing a lot better than the average junk "office" chairs i used to use but i'll likely jump on the Markus chair from Ikea if I had to replace mine.

16. DG21

DG21 Member Guru

GPU:
    1080Ti WF Extreme
    When I read the word 'esports athletes' it almost tores me of my chair... xD and then 1.5k?!? Don't people know how to burn their money in more efficient ways? All that fancy nonsense... (and don't get me wrong - as we all get more & more enslaved by the screen, a proper place to sit on will pay of in the short, middle & long run es well).

I have to admit, my chair (https://www.amazon.de/dp/B01MUG3N2I?tag=kompaktwohnung-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1 <-> https://kompaktwohnung.de/einrichtung/kniestuhl/ - sorry, you have to translate it into english) looks minimal, maybe ugly & has the sideeffect, that you have to stretch your legs from time to time, but you're always sitting upright(!), if you use it the right way. And yes, it costs aroung 350 bucks, but it laaaaasts (got it 2015 & it looks still almost like new).

And when I'm finished, I just push it under the desk & the room looks clean. :)

17. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    bah, I've tried many chairs people recommended, expensive, cheap, you name it and my back hurts the next day after every single one of them. I grab my dinning room chair, with wooden seat, just to heal up my back. I ain't experimenting with ~$1400 chair that I am 95% sure will give me backache. It's all about pressure points and where seat meets the back recliner. For me, it's best when they have no "medical" and "ergonomic" features that push against my back, like lumbar support that gives me literal pain in less than an hour no matter how I set it up.

DG21 likes this.
  18. tived

tived Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 2070 super
    My wife has the capisco chair and I would steel it from her if it wasn’t a drafting height

Also a great chair

19. FookDat

FookDat Guest

GPU:
    6950XT RD 2889/2498
    Ugly chair dont waste your money on that uncomfortable thing. Just buy a good executive manager cushioned chair and enjoy lounging for less than $200 bucks.