Coming home to AMD for first time since Athlon XP

Discussion in 'Processors and motherboards AMD' started by Slinkyminx, Jul 22, 2020.

1. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Greetings.

So, I have been Intel since Athlon XP. I am absolutely excited to be coming to AMD again.

A VERY modest build so nothing exciting here, it has been a long time since I have been interested in extreme PC hardware. I currently have an Intel 8100 on a cheap motherboard. I play games at 1080p 60FPS (sorry HDTV) I enjoy Battlefield, MMORPG games like ESO - currently playing a lot of ESO!

My new parts will be the AMD 3600 and Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite.

Really I just want to add a little extra snap and spice to my very basic PC which currently has just a 1060, Passable WD NVMe SSD, Corsair CX650M PSU. 16GB Corsair Vengeance 3000Mhz CL15. And I feel like my very crap Motherboard and 8100 could do with a refresh.

I would love to know if there is anything I should know or be aware of? And will this give my PC a kick?

After this I will look at an upgrade of ram.

Much appreciated.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2020
  2. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    3000mhz memory should be alright, definitely consider - but do not require - a memory speed upgrade* when you decide to add more memory capacity.
    You should be quite happy with it. Your max fps won't be worlds better if that's what your wondering, but you will go from what i believe is a 4c 4t chip to a unlocked 6c 12t chip that boosts decently on it's own without need to OC. This should help your lows more than you max fps, as you shouldn't stutter every time the OS or another app even thinks what time of day it is. This will also mean that you won't lag as hard when a TON of AI action is on screen.
    X570 gives you max 128gb of RAM, access to pci-e 4.0, new usb standards, and literally double the bandwidth of PCI-E lanes when using the new pci-e 4.0 standards (this listed separate for all those folks who hate the lane juggling of Z-series intel motherboards).
    Day to day desktop use won't be worlds different, but complex games and simulations/physics or anything with lots of AI will see a very visible boost (if it was previously cpu-bound).
    Try using the stock cooler if you don't already have an aftermarket cooler with AM4 mounting hardware, you might be OK with it.
    *If you're using 3000mhz CL14 or so, that's not too bad, but CL16 to CL14 3600mhz is generally a good all-round balance of price to speed. Ryzen processors love memory bandwidth, anything you give it up to about 3600 really does help all processing speeds increase. Past that there is a big of a gap until you hit 4200~4400mhz due to the multiplier divider for infinity fabric / memory speed ratio dropping down once you go past 3733mhz.

I wouldn't jump head over heels to upgrade unless you see you're CPU bound in much of what you do. You'd be better served waiting until fall for the Ryzen 4000 series non-g chips to come out. That said, nothing stopping you from getting an upgrade now if you have the cash and putting a 4000 series chip of your choosing on the x570 board in the fall.

Slinkyminx likes this.
  3. Slinkyminx

Slinkyminx Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1060
    Fantastic reply I appreciate it.

This is LITERALLY what I am interested in.

And this is why I went for X570 too. They're so damned expensive though

I can consider other upgrades down the line this I feel is a nice start. Hoping some better loading times too since loading times are bottlenecked by the CPU more often than not once you get to NVMe speeds of 2GB+

Thanks again for a great reply. I have hopes for a slightly smoother experience all round. Will soon find out ;D

Hypernaut likes this.
  4. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nitro 5700XT/6800M
    But worth it. Having 2 onboard M.2 slots both Gen4x4 capable w/o nerfing the GPU PCIe is <3.

AsiJu, Hypernaut and Slinkyminx like this.

5. Hypernaut

Hypernaut Master Guru

GPU:
    5700XT Red Devil
    I came back to AMD. My very first PC (the one I actually owned myself) was an AMD Athlon (we'll forget the 286 my mother bought), then upgraded to Athlon 64, 4 years later. I'm afraid after that I jumped ship with the Q6600 in 2006, then the i5 2500K @4.5Ghz which lasted me from 2011 until 2019. I have now come full circle and am rocking the Ryzen 3600, and am I glad I did.

Rubbing my hands for the new generation about to drop. Will it be a 4000 or a 5000?

6. Adam Honved

Adam Honved Active Member

GPU:
    ASUS TUF 3080 Ti
    Almost the same for me - returned to AMD after 18 years, previously owned the Athlon 1400 at that time!
    Now running the Ryzen 3600 at 4450 MHz on all cores using 1usmus CTR tool. I would really recommend to use it - you can gain not only performance, but much better thermals as well!

7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    @Slinkyminx
    Well, enjoy your new computer!
    Btw, nothing"very modest" about your build.
    Don't worry, Ryzen 3600 and a serious X570 board is nothing to sneeze at. It's a modern build and able to move a lot of things, you'll be surprised.
    And as @Adam Honved mentioned, try 1usmus CTR tool.
    Will give even more oomph to your computer.
    So, yeah, good times ahead.

SaberJ2X likes this.