Nvidia Physx deprecatated in UE 5.0

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by WhiteLightning, Jul 14, 2020.

1. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
  2. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Looks like you wrote the title through the tears... :cool:

BlindBison, Smough, HoWxCoRe and 4 others like this.
  3. blackdragonbird

blackdragonbird Member Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3080Ti
    About time. Nearly every nVidia technology is marketed, sold and them abandoned until only a niche of people use it, them it is abandoned by everyone and nVidia can stop bothering to pretend they were giving support to that.

BlindBison, chinobino, Smough and 5 others like this.
  4. ivanosky

ivanosky Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060
    Because they're using their own in house physics engine, so no need to use a third party one.

5. both of you are right

6. S3r1ous

S3r1ous Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700
    well to be honest public release of physx hasnt been updated for nearly year or more now

7. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Btw, does the word "deprecated" mean that even if developer wants to use PhysX along with the UE5 he can`t?

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  8. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    As I take it CUDA is still in use and not abandoned.

PS And PhysX is not abandoned either: PhysX v3, PhysX v4, PhysX v5 - it is just not bundled with the drivers as a global installed package, it is bundled with the games.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2020
  9. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Not typically, that would just be "removed" then. Deprecated typically means its not recommended and slated for removal in the future. I did not check the exact situation with UE5 however, but I do know that their own physics engine is not new in UE5, it was already introduced in UE4.23, alongside PhysX

BlindBison and mbk1969 like this.
  10. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Sooooo..... This makes me wonder if the reason the MASSIVE PERFORMANCE HIT WITH PHYSX GAMES WITH HAGS ENABLED is STILL not listed as a BUG in the driver. It's been reported and replied to by Manuel so they KNOW as a fact, HARDWARE PhysX games are unplayable with HAGS enabled.

BlindBison and enkoo1 like this.

11. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Wasn't it some deeper issue with CUDA or compute causing that performance issue? Not strictly PhysX on it's own so it may need more investigation and if it's a limit from Microsoft it could also end up being more on Microsoft to support it better than having NVIDIA work around whatever the core of the problem is assuming it's not just something in the driver implementation and support of hardware GPU scheduling.

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    its most likely just not a highly reported issue, @ManuelG can give you the bug number he filed it under if you want it

This indeed, its CUDA/Compute performance in general that tanks with HAGS, and physx V3+ is using cuda.

BlindBison likes this.
  13. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    I think folding@home performance isn't tanked by HAGS. I'd let it run on Linux anyway, but Nvidia doesn't offer proper undervolting there...

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it is.

15. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    By what amount? I'm still getting between 700k and 800k ppd for most WUs with the 1070, so it can't be that bad.

16. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    I can't say that I am upset. I've never really been that impressed with PhysX outside of tech demos and perhaps some effects in the Batman Arkham series. Otherwise, hardware PhysX was almost always problematic in the game I played, often causing massive framerate variations and introducing annoying stuttering into games that used it heavily. In all honesty, the best games that used it were those that used it sparingly as this tended to mean smoother performance and less erratic framerates, e.g. Borderlands and BioShock.

BlindBison likes this.
  17. aufkrawall2

aufkrawall2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT Hellhound
    PhysX in Borderlands 2 was really bad, it degraded general GPU bound performance over time. No idea if replacing the dlls with newer ones would help in this case.
    It helps in Mirror's Edge though, it even works on Linux in Wine. :D

BlindBison likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    That was a bug fixed some time ago, there was a resource leak in a physx binary that also manifested as extreme process bloat.

highest profile case of it was Warframe back when it was using it.

19. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    I never had any problems like this with Hardware PhysX. Then again, I used to have a comparably powerful second (or back when I ran SLI, third) GPU exclusively for PhysX back when Hardware PhysX was the thing.

20. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I loved the physx in borderlands 2. I have yet to see that kind of stuff in any other game without physx