Death Stranding

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by WhiteLightning, Jun 14, 2016.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    steam reviews are mostly positive despite the doomers on here.

see if they hold up. or the fanboys weighted the early steam reviews. i expected more mixed.

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Will the people who hate it go and buy it just to make a negative review?

*shrugs*

3. TheDeeGee

TheDeeGee Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4070 Ti
    Waiting for UPS and DHL DLC before buying.

MaCk0y and Passus like this.
  4. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Steam literally say in the game tags/description its a walking simulator.

Gabe just dont give a crap

Turanis likes this.

5. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    Well, it kinda is... How's that inaccurate?

cerebus23 likes this.
  6. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    I think its rather impressive to get very positive as rating on a platform which is infested by 4chan infected people.

I mean its a console game , and now its on PC.
    I have seen many hateful posts with other games with this route.

Noisiv likes this.
  7. ^
    The game has been out for quite some time. People who bought it on Steam knew exactly what to expect and score reflects this.
    What I find the most interesting here is the engine. This is the first released PC game running on Decima and there doesn't seem to be any critical issues. While there are
    other games/engines with very long history of PC releases filled with Day1 bugs.
    I haven't played the PC version yet, so I can't say for sure, but I don't see many reports of technical issues. Let's hope the HZD release will be as smooth as this one. Even though I expect much higher initial sales numbers from HZD, which might mix things up a bit.

8. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    like 4chan is an infection ;p. freedom of speech the worst ever.

9. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Fedex and DPD for us UK guys lol

TheDeeGee likes this.
  10. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I would say myhermes too but we'd be waiting a while for that one!

Passus likes this.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Ha! good 1 mate!

12. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Just about every negative review on Steam is regarding technical issues with the game, that alone is shocking as I would have though the negative reviews would have focused on the 'gameplay' but as you said I am guessing that people by now know what the game is and what you're getting but whatever the case it does seem to have it's fair share of technical issues.

13. You mean those 286 negative reviews? Even if all of them were negative because of technical issues, 286 out of 4409, that would be a very little technical difficulties in my book. That would be astonishing number for their first time PC release!

14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Indeed less than 0.1% of those that have reviewed it, depends upon the nature of the issues those people are having though. I just found it odd that out of the first two pages I glanced through they all mentioned technical issues and not a single person giving a negative because of the gameplay or the nature of the game.

15. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Ok, well to my own surprise I am loving the crap out of this. Runs like a dream too 1440p UW

16. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Maybe not everyone has started playing it yet?

17. Keesberenburg

Keesberenburg Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 980 TI sc
    My i9 9900k go from 800mhz to 4700mhz and game stuttering. Only wen i cap 60fps without vsync de cpu won't get in idle mode and back to load mode. Strange cause it happen only at high refresh rate and with vsync.

i9 9900k max 50c and powerdraw max 118w

18. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Hey, call me a hypocrite but I ended up buying Death Stranding (for £38.99 though, not the ridiculous £54.99 it sells for on Steam!) and I have been enjoying it despite some issues, which I'll cover later!

Maybe, I just was not in the right frame of mind when I played it on my PS4 Pro or maybe it's the smoother 60+ FPS framerate on PC or maybe it's both? Whatever, I have found myself getting quite immersed in this game's truly bizarre post-apocalyptic world. The atmosphere is awesome and the visuals are really impressive despite the desolation and emptiness. Character models look especially good and the animation is quite amazing. The pace of the game is also very relaxed and deliberately slow in the early stages and I am finding it oddly relaxing. The music is also awesome (you also get the soundtrack for free with the game).

While I would not describe this game as "engaging" in terms of gameplay - you are basically a delivery man, a porter, moving things from point A to B while avoiding invisible ghost-like beings and human enemies - the odd setting and offbeat gameplay at least do make the game stand out from just about anything else. It is not exactly a walking simulator as some have described it but, you know, it is not really that bad on reflection. It's just completely "out there" and weird. If you are on the fence over this then I would suggest waiting for a sale because even at £39 it is a lot to pay for a game you may not like at all.

As for the issues, well on launch day, I installed and played the game for 4 hours with no problems at all. Performance was excellent on my ageing i7-4770K, 16 GB, GTX 1080 Ti, Windows 10 Pro v2004 PC using the 451.67 graphics driver with a framerate between 80 and 110 fps during gameplay and a locked 60 fps in cutscenes/cinematics. This is on maxed out settings at 2560x1440 with a framerate cap of 120 fps (on a 165 Hz G-SYNC display). Game is installed to a 7,200rpm hard drive by the way. Graphically it looks a little better than the PS4 Pro but only just (the LOD draw distance is slightly further out). Still looks great but the developers could have done more IMO. DSR does not work for example (exclusive fullscreen is not supported) and ambient occlusion is a little basic.

Yesterday, however, I loaded the game and got a 0x887a0005 followed by access violation errors when continuing my save game from the day before. I tried verifying it, uninstalling and redownloading it but I could not get the game to load the save although creating a new game worked. Out of desperation, I decided to try and load individual manual, auto and checkpoint saves and got one checkpoint to work. Thinking it was save corruption, I quit the game and reloaded the previously working checkpoint, only to have it crash the game at the 75-82% mark while loading.

It turned out that this game does not play nice with the RTSS overlay as adding a profile and excluding the executable allowed the game to load perfectly for the three times I tested it (each time quitting and reloading the game). I think the overlay works OK in the game, as I was using it for 4 hours the night before, but it causes issues when the game is loading the save. At least, that is what happens on my system. Thought I'd share my experiences in case anyone else is experiencing the same issue. Maybe there's a workaround for this - I see there's a nice beta version of Afterburner and RTSS so I will try those - but it's no big deal to have to turn off the overlay for one game. I just wish I had thought to check RTSS before I messed around with verifying and redownloading the game. I might actually have had time to play the game yesterday if I had!!!

19. GeoD

GeoD Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I' was on the fence like a few others...gave it a shot then refunded after three hours. Pretty sure its the only game I've ever refunded...

I took a chance on it knowing that it was a bit more high concept story than straight action, only I didn't expect an actual walking sim with not much else other than micro-managing. Some games make you walk around a bunch but give you plenty of other stuff to do all the while (combat, exploring etc), this game not so much from what I could tell other than balancing your backback to jog or trying to avoid everything. I found it boring and overly-cinematic with lots of languid dialogue and cut-scenes between actual gameplay. I don't mind the cinematic style in general but this feels more like a far-fetched sci-fi movie you play than a game meant to be a relaxing or thrilling escape.

On the tech side the graphics are nice and it plays great high/very high at 1080p on my 1070 with the game-ready driver. Couldn't use DSR factors though and the AA left a bunch of jaggies behind which tended to ruin some aspects of the scene. The detail on character's faces really stood out to me, as did many other details in the environment, charactor models and tech etc.

AsiJu and cerebus23 like this.
  20. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Combat and using vehicles are later in game, so there is not just walking part, if you have patience for it and you get even faster movemenet on built roads that you and players are making (but you can never see players, only hear them, if you are both on close position).