Death Stranding: PC graphics benchmark perf analysis review

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I have no intention of getting this boring looking game, but this game has a really awesome DX12 implementation. Guerilla Games should be proud! :D

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Guest

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 2060S
    was waiting for this game for a long time, then I saw "win 10", dx12, sigh...

3. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Finishing up the review:

Update notes:

1. We just updated the Series Radeon series 5000 GPU results and examined it with the new Radeon 20.7.2 driver that AMD released moments ago. There are significant performance increases measures with this driver and this series of graphics cards, in particular, thus it is highly recommended to update to this new driver.
    2. We checked the Polaris GPUS, e.g. 590 with the new driver, there are no additional performance gains for that series.
    3. The Ultra HD page was showing a wrong chart after the Radeon driver update, this is fixed.
    4. Added image comparison AMD Fidelity FX CAS OFF/ON.
    5. Added image comparison NVIDIA DLSS 2.0 TAA vs DLSS Quality and performance modes
    6. Retested 5500 XT 4GB, card remains stutter but much better scores with new 20.7.2 driver.
    7. Added GeForce GTX 970, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Radeon R9 Fury, and Radeon R9 390X based on reader requests.

Maddness, Denial, Fender178 and 6 others like this.
  4. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's really interesting how well the 390X is still doing, leaving behind the Polaris cards. But then again, I always thought the Polaris specs were quite limited, like having only 32 ROPs. On the other hand I suppose Fury is hurt by the lack of memory, keeping it behind the 390X.

5500XT really jumped with the driver update, it seems. 5700XT also again made Radeon VII look worse.

5. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    No TAA = Jaggies everywhere. If it's properly implemented there is no comparison. DLSS 2.0 is a better alternative, but until Nvidia finds a way to control-panel it in every game with TAA, I would take TAA + a sharpening filter over any shimmering.

6. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    390X is still a beast at lower mid range level. If it had better tech like higher dp hdmi version plus hevc, h265, 4k it would be an undying gpu. :D

Maddness likes this.
  7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Polaris is also bandwidth limited so 390x brute force it in this game. Still, that happens rarely 580 is faster in most games.

8. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    So expecting around 70-80FPS at 3440x1440 on a 5700XT.

9. FranciscoCL

FranciscoCL Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Ti
    Thanks for the review.
    It is a good looking game and it does seems to be very well optimized.

How is the CPU core/threads scaling? It seems that this game does not need much CPU power.
    ---

I think there is a small error in the Table of Contents (dropdown list): It says "Image Quality and System Requirements", but I think it should be "Image Quality and Benchmark System".

10. RodroG

RodroG Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 / 10GB
    Hi @Hilbert Hagedoorn . First, thank you for the review, great job!

While reading the article I had just a doubt related with your testing methodology, and perhaps you could clarify a bit more this point:

Please, could you share and detail all the specific energy-saving functions you disabled for such mobo and processor? I have same processor and chipset platform and I'm interesting on benchmarking subjects, so if could clarify this point I'd highly appreciate it.

Does it mean you disable those (not specified yet) energy-saving features and set a fixed working clock speed for all cores too? Like setting a fixed all cores 4.7Ghz freq or just disable the energy-saving features and leave the rest at stock? Should I assume you didn't apply any level of CPU OC in order to ensure consistent benchmarks results as well?

Thanks in advance! Kind regards

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020

11. HybOj

HybOj Master Guru

GPU:
    Gygabite RTX3080
    Big thanks and respect to Hilbert for adding GTX970 to the test per my request!! Really appreciated.

Now... 64fps on maxed 2020 game in 1080p (Thats 14% faster than GTX 1650 super) - thats what Im talking about and thats why I still have this card, it runs 99% of the games at very high settings at 60fps. I have 60hz monitor, so what more do I REALLY need? I use MSI afterburner and Im using PC since it was created, so I can fine tune the games really easily to run great and look great. Also, gtx970 is a really good overclocker, 10%+ performance is not a problem and thats almost gtx980 teritorry.

Only reasonable alternative upgrade card for me is RX 5700 XT, I keep an eye on it, its the 1080ti basically, with more modern design (RDR2 is the example) and you can actually buy it new in the shops, unlike the 1080ti.

But I will indeed wait for the new incoming cards, than I might upgrade.

Anyway. Thanks :) GTX 970 OCed for life :)

12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I've still got the 290, which is basically just a slightly slower version of the 390X, and it surprises me how well it has aged. I intend to keep it until I switch to 4K.

Maddness, HARDRESET and itpro like this.
  13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    For a true 4K experience and/or high refresh rates for 1440p, we need a gpu released fully in 2020 or 2021. Newer monitors will be capable of 4k 120hz and 1440p 240hz. There is no power available at the moment. By the end of the year it will be logical to drop gpus released 5 or more years ago.

schmidtbag likes this.
  14. Sounds like things have been changing at AMD RTG over the past year quite... a ... bit.... thanks Hilbert
    Had one in a build until 3 months ago... this was for - was it almost 6/7 years already ??

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2020
  15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Dude, the difference between the 4GB and 8GB cards with that GPU are not huge, like in so many other games.
    Only an issue if you got slow arse PC to begin with, never had an issue fully loading the 970 I had.
    In most games DLSS looks actually worse than TAA with sharpening used at 75-100% native resolution.

16. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    Except for, you know, games that use over 4GB of VRAM. Where GN found it could make almost a 30% difference.

Isn't the 970 part of the slow PC? lol...

In DLSS 1.0, sure - in 2.0 nope.

theoneofgod likes this.
  17. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Ok dude. I saw the VRAM consumption and thought the 4GB would have an affect.

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Games using more than 4gb vram even at 1080p looks like standard now. You can imagine those 1% lows for the 970.

19. nizzen

nizzen Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3x3090/3060ti/2080t
    Imagine 970 gpu and Ryzen cpu. *Imagine those 1% lows :D
    Perfect combo for VERY 1% lows :p

20. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    I think ryzen is doing fine. It does not need a chiller to cool it like most intel cpus. I can live with few fps less at 1080p.