Microsoft Details Its Velocity Architecture Behind the Xbox Series X:

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 14, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Err MS trying to promote faster SSD for loading times and data transfers?
    Hmm what that reminds me.... :rolleyes:

Loobyluggs and MBTP like this.
  3. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Mehhh, feel outdated with PS5 capabilities, if i were MS would not try to push this one too much, people will bash it a lot. with PS5 having the capability of peak transfer speeds of 22GB/s, 4.8GB/s feels like two Generations behind already.

Fediuld likes this.
  4. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Would be interesting to see how all this compression stuffs are so different from modern file system compression methods (eg: in Windows 10 compression with built-in XPRESS/LZX algorithms)

5. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    Xbox Series X delivers an effective 4.8 GB/s in I/O performance to the title, approximately 100x the I/O performance in current generation consoles.

You still have to compare to current gen. It's still impressive.

Can't wait to see what benefits DirectStorage API may bring us.

butjer1010 likes this.
  6. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    They need to take the control of the narrative back, everyone is talking PS5.

fantaskarsef, Loobyluggs and Fediuld like this.
  7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well i have the XBX and Pro and they are both fantastic, and very powerful machines for the price, so starting from their level these new consoles are just going to blow everything out of the water, and if they keep the cost down to say the £500 and give good bang for buck then that is a doubly whammy, so can't wait to see them pulling off fancy RT and 4k and all the other features they are bring, and i am stonked for PSVRII, just don't go cheap on us Sony and go LCD panel this time round, you hear me, oled or nothing. lol

XenthorX and Keitosha like this.
  8. Has Sony demonstrated the I/O rate "at peak" in real-time on video yet in a measurable test?

butjer1010 likes this.
  9. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Nah, DirectStorage API will more and less align it

10. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    How anyone is supposed to answer that question?
    Are you claiming that Sony is lying?
    Just to you be aware, the SSD Raw speed is 5.5GB/s, on a avg compression rate 8 to 9GB/s is easily achievable, there are already new compression algorithms that have been added to the library and seems compatible with the decompressor, if i'm not mistaken the BCpack even though proprietary has been added as well.
    So even if it can't consistently achieve 22GB/s well compressed games would obviously go beyond 9 and up to 22, there is 13GB/s of variation there.
    PS5 will easily be 3 to 4 times faster, and this is only considering the max output, not even talking about random i/o with 12 channels.
    Really MS is trying to capture some dudes with this velocity archtecture nomenclature, but anyone who knows a little bit about SSDs and the consoles would not even fall for that for a single second.

11. MBTP

MBTP Member Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX590
    Not even close, really. Do some research about both architectures and you will be amazed.

12. What'd I forget your birthday this year or something? Hey kid go play in your room... stay off the internet.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 15, 2020
  13. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Yet, we have yet to see a demonstration of this technology so for now, at least, they are nothing but numbers on paper.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Add their SFS claim. And form average 4.8GB/s you would have useful data equaling 12GB/s loaded by PS5 when their average is 9GB/s read.
    But, let's be honest, neither of those consoles need that kind of bandwidth. And only impact from not having it would be lower texture LOD for a moment.

And that's what you should keep in mind next time you go out about PS5 being faster. PS5 has tiny bit weaker CPU, and quite weaker GPU unless some of their customizations make it much more efficient than customizations MS requested from AMD. But apples to apples, actual GPU performance of PS5 vs XSX will be measured by limits of VRAM bandwidth and ability to process data delivered.
    Both of those sit on XSX's side. A lot of people are like: "storage revolution", but few even try to think about meaningful scenarios in which storage delivers benefits.
    I guess, you have not noticed that NVMe is not faster than SSD in terms of loading for most of current games. That's because games use heavy compression.
    Your games are not choking due to storage, right? And you may have like 250~400MB/s read in most games.

Storage will change few things, but no revolution is happening. It applies even to MS's fast game switching with practically having VMs. Who cares if I can start game in 3 seconds instead of 8?
    I lived in times where I had to spend time rewinding cassette, then moving it to mark before game data started and wait for it to load. Sure, floppy added easier access and had revolutionary capability in terms of organization of data. It was revolution in way data were accessed. (non-linear fashion)
    Having more speed is not revolution. SSD's did not deliver revolution, they delivered leap in IOPs capabilities. (1st SSDs were not better than HDD setups in terms of MB/s, but IOPs is what made them shine and what proven their worth. Yet, current NVMe storages are 10~20times better in MB/s and you do not feel it in games.)

15. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Pretty darn close when playing games, storage is only a part of the complete experience, quite sure that the Xbox Series X will be toe to toe with the PS5, but we will see.

16. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    It looks great but their naming scheme is a bit off Xbox SeX and all.

17. nicugoalkeper

nicugoalkeper Master Guru

GPU:
    ASUS GTX 1060 DUAL OC 6GB
    Nice to see some people for PS5 some for XBOX.
    But ithink that at least for the first 1-2 years we will not see any real benefitis in real life gaming.
    Game developers need to align to the new hardware and to make games that uses the new consoles at 90-100%.
    So by the it we will be speaking about Pro versions of those consoles.
    Even now many people still have for example PS4 non Pro version and it works just nice.

18. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    Did You try PS5 to claim that? Everybody are talking about enormous PS5 SSD speed, but i don't believe it until i see that. I think this is all BS, but that is my opinion.

19. butjer1010

butjer1010 Active Member

GPU:
    RX6900XT Toxic EE
    I think they are lying, but that is my opinion. We will see when PS5 will be available.

20. kieron fleming

kieron fleming Member

GPU:
    gtx 1080ti
    I see all this talk about ps5 is faster..... The only thing thats faster is the ssd which honestly means crap when it comes to gaming its going to be about gpu and cpu if you think different you got rocks in your head.

Carfax likes this.