Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling - what is the trick to get this?

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Teisco, Jun 25, 2020.

1. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Yeah, if the workload is pushed trough the same GPU, better to use iGPU, a second discrete GPU or a second PC to do all kind of other crap with while gaming.

2. There isn't any notice-able real-world difference to warrant use of HAGS in gaming at present.

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Nope, happens regardless, all GPU acceleration for DWM is pushed on the primary display attached gpu.

4. PatrickJr

PatrickJr Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Does not seem to give much more FPS with HAGS on, from the videos maybe a few fps more or less.

5. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Ive used VLC, MPC-HC, MPC-BE, WMP and all have never stuttered for me when playing a games on my main monitor and running a video on the second monitor and I change no settings in any of these video players and most of them use GPU by default.

Same goes for browsers, used Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Brave, Edge Chromium and all use GPU HW ACCELL and have never stuttered for me (ok they may have but this was down to a specific driver bug) when running them on a second monitor when playing a game on my main monitor until now.

As soon as I enable Gpu scheduling the stutter starts. Disable it and the stutter goes away. I was literally watching Better Call Saul in MPC-BE earlier on my second monitor whilst playing Path Of Exile and zero stutters.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Then you're not quite as sensitive to it as you think you are.

When playing video at mixed refresh rates the higher rate display is reduced to vsync rate of the content playback rate.

https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/4pjgd1/psa_screen_stuttering_on_gtx1080_with_dual/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/5cj6u1/144hz60hz_dual_monitor_setup_game_stuttering/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/nvidia/comments/9bbw6v/did_nvidia_fix_the_multiple_60hz_and_144hz/

7. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I regularly played video on my second monitor whilst deathmatching in a CSGO warmup server on my main monitor and I can tell you for a fact that my main monitor is still at 144Hz I would tell if suddenly my game was locked to 60Hz as my second monitor is 1080p60 and my main is 1440p144

Just got gone with levelling another character in PoE whilst watching Iron Sky on my second monitor and no stutter and no "vsync lock to 60hz" like you say.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    did you come from consoles?

9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    Nice try at an insult.

The answer is no, Ive been gaming on PC since around 1998 with many many years of that playing twitch shooters at high refresh rates.

The issue is literally listed in the "Windows 10 Known Issues" on the latest driver release 451.67

Link

AsiJu likes this.
  10. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I had to have a play and see what behaviour I get here without HAGS. I played movie in MPC-BE and a random game on steam (fullscreen). If I use EVR or madVR, the result is the same, as long as I don't use exclusive mode, if I do, the higher refresh rate monitor is no longer a smooth as it should be. It looks jerky, and with https://www.testufo.com/ I can't tell a difference between any of the 3 FPS's like I can normally. Monitor still says 144Hz, and settings show that too, but it's definitely not. Without exclusive mode, things are fine.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yes it is, but that doesn't change the fact therea re historical mixed refresh rate stutters that you seem to be unable to detect.

12. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I too am very sensitive to refresh, frame rates, and frame times. I remember spending countless hours back in the day trying to fix the 1ms frame skipping in Morrowind. I use MPC-BE and MadVR and don't get this stutter you guys mention and games feel just a smooth and believe me after playing over 20 years of Quake, Unreal, COD4 Pro Mod, CS, I would tell immediately. I don't use exclusive mode either.

Maybe my old age is getting to me..

13. theoneofgod

theoneofgod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 580 8GB
    I only see issues when the movie is in exclusive mode.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  14. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    On which Windows version are you at?

15. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Games smooth? No issues?

16. PatrickJr

PatrickJr Member

GPU:
    RTX 2060
    Got any before and afters?

17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    Using it since the 451 driver without any problems, all games run smoother,
    and nothing to do with low end hw/low vram, like some ppl "guess/think/maybe.."
    i especially had trouble running CoD WW2 smoothly at 2160p with (smartly) maxed out settings,
    turning scheduler on improved without the need for lower settings/try stuff to improve frame rate..

18. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Are there any benchmarks that tested HAGS in CPU-bottleneck scenarios? Shouldn't CPU-bottleneck, in theory, matter most?

19. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @hemla
    unless you own a 2080ti or similar, your gpu limited...

20. hemla

hemla Master Guru

GPU:
    nvidia
    Not the point of my question. You could side-by-side compare HAGS ON/OFF on some weak CPU with superb GPU in CPU-limited applications to find out does HAGS do anything or not.