Sony Buys $250 million in Epic Games shares

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    You can't deny that EPIC has been paving the way lately, the promotion of the free games is really working out for them, rivalling Steam. Next to that, more exclusive titles will be attracted to the ...

Sony Buys $250 million in Epic Games shares

Aura89 and WalterDasTrevas like this.
  2. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    I wonder if this is the same Epic that has been praising the PS5 has the best thing since sliced bread...

3. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    You unlocked the conspiracy! It is the shares that make the SSD transparently decompress at 10GB/sec!

PS: Epic Games has a market capitalization of 15 Billion lol.

4. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You could of mention Ryzen instead of sliced bread.. it's tech forums after all.

5. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    But tbh ryzen isn't something that revolutionary. FX 9590 on Excavator architecture(or revised excavator), maybe even packing 10-12 cores instead of 8 (cuz 28nm vs 32) would be as good as a 1500X(even in case of 8/8 fx).

(yea yea half cores same threads, but don't forget the controversy about "real" fx core)

So, the improvements are just linear, and for Intel.... There isn't really :D two step forward, one backwards.

6. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    PS5 exclusives confirmed for PC

Maddness and Kool64 like this.
  7. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    [​IMG]

For the FX 9590 that would be 43W per "core". If we accept what courts have said, then it would be 86W per "core". That core is almost half the speed of the 3990X at the same frequency. They basically hit a 22x performance improvement.

What else should they do to do something "spectacular" :p

carnivore and nz3777 like this.
  8. sc0rpion

sc0rpion Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    any demo of that available? any proof?
    or we if sony says they invented the Earth we live on and that is flat we all gotta believe it?

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  9. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    in before Horizon gets pulled from Steam....

You don't have to believe it, sure a lot of talk from big companies is just marketing "technobabble". All Sony have to lose is their entire reputation from deceiving their partners, developers, engineers, marketing team, the media and their customers if they don't deliver whats promised. So the chances of them actually full blown lying is quite low.

10. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    Sony PS5 exclusives becoming Epic PC exclusives??

jbscotchman likes this.

11. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    To sum it up, yes. It's a very smart business move against Microsoft.

Embra likes this.
  12. PrMinisterGR

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Nah. They will just use the Epic Store for their previous-gen bait titles. There is zero chance they will release at the same time.

13. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    True, I don't expect PS5 exclusives to be released simultaneously. But, as someone who is PC exclusive and hasn't bought a console in over 20 years. There is no reason for me to buy an Xbox and if Sony wants to throw some exclusive games to me a couple years after release I'm all for it.

14. Embra

Embra Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Red Devil 6950 XT
    If Sony were to do PC exclusives with Epic, they would most certainly release them after they had a good run on PS5.
    I was not referring to same time releases.

15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    What? Old FX chips had so low IPC, that even at 5GHz, Zen laptops would win in per core/thread performance.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah it's not a bad business move at all. If possible Uncharted or even the Last of US pt1 gets a PC release on EGS I will go on board and Purchase those no questions asked.

17. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I recently played Hellbalde: Senua's Sacrifice and it was amazing. I know it's now multi-platform, but I never expected to play it on PC.

18. sc0rpion

sc0rpion Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    is it that low really?
    should I be making a list of games presented as running on "ps4 hardware" in gaming conventions only to be visualy downgraded to unrecognizable on launch?
    with 0 proof or demo-ing that "amazing" decompression technlogy that they keep marketing , I don't buy. Otherwise "we coulldn't make it happpen on time" it will on our next gen consoles has happened before.

19. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    That´s the thing, there´s no conspiracy. But when a company starts drooling about some other company´s product is because they have some interest in it not because they think the product is that good. Not to mention why would they risk their relation with MS unless there´s something to win from siding with Sony?

True, but then i would risk sparking another senseless fanboy battle between Intel and AMD... So maybe it´s better to use something neutral like sliced bread...

Yes, because that would be a first... No to mention they say the they can reach up to a certain velocity in specific conditions, not that they can reach those speeds all the time. But time will tell.

20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah I own that game on GOG and I only played a tiny bit of it and from that the game looks good. I need to play that.

Not happening for many reasons because of Steam's new policies. 1 The developers had the game listed for a very long time on Steam which means they cannot remove it from there for any reason what so ever. 2. The game is on EGS so why would they need to pull the game from Steam? 3. Also once they listed their game on Steam they entered a contract as well.