AMD CEO: Lisa Su in Video - Zen 3 is on track and launches this year

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jul 7, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra and mohiuddin like this.
  2. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Strange, tweet has already been deleted.

3. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC

reix2x likes this.
  4. yeeeman

yeeeman Member

GPU:
    9600GT 512mb
    This move looks to me like "we wanted to launch zen 3 now, but it is not ready yet. just don't worry, it will come". I think they have been a bit greedy with the xt parts. Only 100mhz extra, no cooler included anymore and 50-100$ more.

olymind1, mohiuddin and Undying like this.

5. mohiuddin

mohiuddin Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX670 4gb ll RX480 8gb
    Just my thought

6. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Does this trick of quickly selling off remaining stock of some product before the newer product arrives by just renaming the old one slightly and pretending its somehow better actually work?

And I say trick in sense of a kindergarden level trick not a Houdini level trick.

I mean are people fooled by it... Seems so, because companies keep doing it.

The old way this was done was by saying "sale! going cheap!", but I guess they don't have to do that and lose money using this new method.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020
  7. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Well, you could argue it was already ready, but, it was set back once AMD realized "oh crap, turns out we really do have to support older chipsets..."
    And there's the possibility that they're delaying because coronavirus is going to make sales weaker than usual, and that is NOT what investors want to see. Investors don't care what the reasons are for less-than-ideal sales.

Although I think the new XT models are pretty stupid, they do offer better performance-per-watt, despite the minor clock boost. So, clearly something else is different (though that's probably more of TSMC's own improvements rather than AMD's).

8. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    world wide distribution via air drop from the upper atmosphere.

9. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    ?
    the xt models have the same price with non xt(also x models are cheaper now)
    3800xt is 200mhz extra
    if you have cooler for the 3800x then you are ok
    zen 2 sell like hot cakes and there is not delay for zen 3
    the only think i agree with you is the greedy they have learn from the best

Attached Files:

10. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Where is the greedy part? because a cpu a year old is worth pennies now? cmon guys

11. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    it's the same product as the one before, it's just clocked +100MHz and given a new name. That's greed, the same kind people accused intel for. But at least with intel there were other improvements, clocks mostly stayed the same.

As for power/performance someone mentioned -yes, they mastered the manuf. process, so all yields are better in terms of quality, hence they got +100Mhz with a little less heat and power draw. I'll bet you they were making same, say, 3600x and they saw the results from the new fab setup and decided to rename it to 3600xt and clock it +100MHz

olymind1 likes this.
  12. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Great news. The XT parts at this price are no value but they do offer a little better performance per watt. If gen 1 Ryzen owners can not socket in a Zen 3 cpu having Zen3 come so soon should drop the XT prices. As a Ryzen 1800x owner I'm waiting on Zen3 to see what how I upgrade.

13. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @gx-x
    please google the definition of "greed/greedy" as you clearly mistake it for something else.
    last time i checked selling a better performing product for the same price isnt greed.
    and dont start "but no cooler" as no one buys a 3700 or better to run with the stock cooler,
    at least i dont know any, outside that some intel cpus dont have coolers either.

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Well I hope it all runs down as planned, still would like to upgrade to an AMD Ryzen 4k CPU if the reviews are good.

15. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    It's like you were born yesterday. The greed talk in regard to the CPU world refers to the decade of Intel refusing to raise the mainstream core count above four, and charging an arm, leg, and kidney for the extreme editions with a few more cores. Thus they were releasing, year after year, supposedly brand new CPUs where nothing changed but the clocks rose a little bit and external things like DDR/usb/sata version were updated. The cores weren't touched pretty much at all, which was made very clear by the security holes spanning multiple generations.

That was the greed. That situation is fortunately gone now even for Intel, after some AMD asskicking.

carnivore likes this.

16. Biffo

Biffo Active Member

GPU:
    ati
    I'm holding out for Zen 4...

Fediuld likes this.
  17. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    The XT models aren't good enough to justify the price. One year ago ya, the X was the top of the line and always has been the one that grabs that premium if you want it.
    These new processors needed more, I appreciate the lack of cooler I buyers don't immediately trash theirs and buy something worthy. But the price/performance sucks.

18. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Wrong. It is an Intel-like greed move... They decided now they have cornered the market.. it is time for some shareholder gravy train.

It is same CPU but being sold without the cooler. And for €500 basically, when the original 3900X is now much cheaper and WITH a cooler which does the job perfectly without the need to pay another €100+ on cooler. I still use it on my 3900X

Coreteks explained all this perfectly on his video review of 3900XT... watch this ...

19. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    According to coreteks they are same... maybe slightly better binned chips...

20. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB