Nvidia 451.52 via Windows Update

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by frytom, Jul 3, 2020.

1. frytom

frytom Member

GPU:
    MSI 4090
    Nvidia 451.52 came this morning via windows update

Does anybody know the changelog?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hmm wonder if that's part of that Microsoft blog article recently on using the fast ring and insiders to deliver newer drivers for testing hardware GPU scheduling, would be a bit newer than the prior 451.48 driver and could have further fixes towards this if that's the case but that and whatever else these drivers could contain is just speculation until confirmed.

Doubt there's any release notes or other info unless NVIDIA provides some from their end on what this particular driver actually contains so it would need to be tested particularly the early reported issues on I think it was media players and web browsing issues that were brought up initially such as multi-display and which program was on the active or secondary/tertiary monitor which could have gotten enough time now for developments in newer drivers.

And possibly some specific title compatibility work in some games reported that had problematic performance or stability perhaps.

EDIT: How did it work again, think it was hardware accelerated media playback or web browsing and then dragging a active program or window or tab with a browser to the other display and it'd either crash, BSOD or soft hang until the process was manually terminated?

Something like that, game wise I suppose you can get anything from a display driver crash to erratic performance, worse frame time or latency and just outright unable to start the game at all.

3. kosta20071

kosta20071 Member Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Can someone upload it? it is inside of one of the folders in this path:
    C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download

4. Johannah

Johannah Guest

GPU:
    TUF 3090
    Im on Windows10 2004 build 20161.1000 (latest fast ring version) and there are no new Nvidia drivers for me using windows update.

5. bigcid1

bigcid1 Master Guru

GPU:
    Galax RTX 4070 Ti
    I got it yesterday as well

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Definitely is, these drivers are only coming in for beta ring users.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2020
  7. ArtKursis

ArtKursis Member

GPU:
    MSI 4080 Suprim
    upload_2020-7-3_15-29-19.png
    20H2 19042.330 Here ...

Attached Files:

8. dsbig

dsbig Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070
    Somebody upload...??

9. vmanuelgm

vmanuelgm Active Member

GPU:
    Giga 4090 Master
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

11. harkinsteven

harkinsteven Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3080
  12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This driver is inferior to 451.48

451.52 r450_00-241
    451.48 r451_40-5

13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Interesting, likely testing on a earlier branch then with this driver. :)
    Also I was under the assumption Microsoft was trying to transition over to the DCH branch entirely. (And recently also change it up further.) Good to know there's a choice of both at least for now.

I'm on AMD though and far as I'm aware they don't quite follow the specs so the difference here is pretty minimal between the two models (Well the Windows folder location differs a bit.) besides one optional audio component not being included but it still runs the Catalyst Settings installer right into the Program Files folder and there's no UWP/Windows Store interaction what so ever for some alternate app variant even if one does in fact exist.
    (Have a feeling that could change as Microsoft tightens up requirements and certification criteria post-Win10 2004 though.)

EDIT: For now at least, trying to keep up a bit better with both AMD and NVIDIA for the next GPU change whenever there's going to be a possibility to do so once the new hardware is out.

EDIT: And to avoid multiple post it's also going to be interesting as to how Microsoft will develop this scheduler change in newer builds of the OS likely beyond 20H2 / 2010 or what the next one up will be called.

Eventually also how AMD and NVIDIA possibly also Intel can use this feature for more or maybe how developers will be able to utilize this advantage over prior practices for masking the scheduler being handled on the CPU earlier instead of through the GPU now with this change and if that can be followed additional improvements later on or be used by other OS improvements coming in later builds of Windows 10 2021 and beyond. :)
    (Direct Storage related? Well maybe, maybe not.)

14. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    UDCH has changed a bit, vendors are able to package in their control panels and side load them as a appx package.

JonasBeckman likes this.
  15. HARDRESET

HARDRESET Master Guru

GPU:
    4090 ZOTAEA /1080Ti
    Insider build 20161 / Insider driver 455.41

Attached Files:

chinobino and EugeneJackKhoros like this.

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    I think that one is the technical preview for WSL2 or how to call it, branch could see additional updates too I suppose as development of Windows 10 2021 continues and work on WDDM 2.8 and the Windows Subsystem Linux (2) feature set.

There's a topic for it, NVIDIA intends it for more of a development preview driver I think but I suppose it can work on existing Windows 10 builds too outside of the fast ring if there's any benefits at all over the 451 drivers here now with 451.48 being out. :)
    Or for Vulkan the VLK development driver branch and support for newer Vulkan 1.2 developments.

Although outside of development that might be more for specific emulator support and bleeding edge features or how to call it with these latest landed extensions in Vulkan being supported.

17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Beta Ring only.

- driver version (NVIDIA): 451.52
    - API version: 1.1.133

- driver properties (VK_KHR_driver_properties):
    -> driver name: NVIDIA
    -> driver ID: VK_DRIVER_ID_NVIDIA_PROPRIETARY_KHR (4)
    -> driver conformance version: 1.1.3.6:
    -> driver info: 451.52

I don't think the dch package is complete, there are missing infs.

Attached Files:

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Why? Was something ever wrong? I'm running it with 451.48. Or are you referring to it bitching about driver version? If that's what you're referring to, it doesn't detect crap beyond the driver package number so it's useless message about the driver being too old won't pop up.

Enabling hardware accelerated GPU scheduling raised my performance in Detroit BH with a 1080 Ti by... precisely 2% in every spot I tested every time, it's reproducible. I'm guessing more parts of the GPU are at work at any time for that tiny power required for the scheduling/VRAM management it now does, since it shows up to 100% of GPU resources in use now when previously it would never go above 98% in anything. I guess the last 2% was resources without the necessary matching parts to do any rendering.

HARDRESET likes this.
  19. ViperXtreme

ViperXtreme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Dual UV
    Is there a beta driver with both hardware scheduler and newer Vulkan extension than the official?

20. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Perhaps I just haven't encountered one of those lock up scenarios yet. Is it specific things which trigger it or it's unknown/seemingly random?