Review: Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SATA3 SSD

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Samsung Unleashes its 870 QVO series SATA3 SSDs. As the Q in the name indicates, this is all new QLC based NAND. Don't worry, we'll explain it all but the bottom line is that you will see a new valu...

Review: Samsung 870 QVO 2TB SATA3 SSD

2. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    @Hilbert - you have the WoW chart mislabeled on page 8.

Nice article, shows things haven't changed much in the SSD world. FWIW, I have had my 4TB 860 QVO since the day they were available, with no issues and solid performance.

3. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    I strongly agree with the last sentence of the article. At this point, the appeal to SATA ought to be price and easy hot-swapping. I'm seeking to do a SATA SSD upgrade for my home server but I'd rather wait till prices drop to $0.10/GB.

toyo and Venix like this.
  4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Thank you, I corrected that.

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Yeah i will second that since on 0.12 you can find tlc nvme drives.

6. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    This is quite a pathetic drive from Samsung, and at a high price too. You'd be better served with a 850/860 Evo that's on offer, with significantly better performance. The 8TB drive is nearly useless at that price. Pretty sure you can even find NVMe TLC drives at these price/GB if you look hard enough.
    I do have two Samsung SSDs myself, but at this price I wouldn't touch this one.

7. allesclar

allesclar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GeForce GTX 1070
    When you guys say server replacement, do you mean for operating or for storage?

8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 6800XT OC
    Weak product, poor price.

You can find Crucial MX500 2TB which is a proper high-performance TLC drive that can write at SATA speeds (500+) indefinitely for a bit less than this, and is occasionally discounted even more:

2TB:
    MX500 https://www.amazon.de/dp/B003J5JB12 € 224
    QVO https://www.amazon.de/Samsung-Internes-Solid-State-MZ-77Q2T0BW/dp/B089R1C9HV €234

Well of course MX500 is already somewhat old, so there are no 4 TB or 8 TB options, but you can buy 2 or 4 of them and RAID them for more speed, cheaper than these crappy Samsung drives !

I don't care about what any review is saying, I will STAY AWAY FROM QLC like it's the plague or coronavirus ...

toyo and Turanis like this.
  9. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    For me, storage (of personal files). It's a home server, so I don't care about performance, and the files are (for the most part) permanent, so I'm not concerned about write cycles either.

allesclar likes this.
  10. zig11727

zig11727 Member Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080 Ti
    I owned the 860 QVO 1TB and it was nothing but problems also it had a 3 years or 360 TB TBW warranty and other cheaper drives like the SK hynix Gold S31 1TB have a 5 year or 500 TB TBW warranty and I have no problems with the SK Hynix Gold drive.

Benchmarks are a little faster on the SK Hynix drive.

11. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    True about QLC. After that TurboWrite thing is gone,you have a marvelous speed of 80MB/s or 40MB/s on 860 1TB QVO.For storage could be good.
    But thank God its Made in Korea and not else (not sarcasm). :)

12. FrostNixon

FrostNixon Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT
    Great review as always!
    Stuff like that is why I went with a cheap Adata QLC for storage ssd, instead of anything else. Of course for main I have a Samsung, however that's as far as it goes.

13. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    Actually the consoles might push SSDs prices higher. More demand for NAND chips and controllers and less supply for the rest of the market unless the few NAND manufacturers ramp up production if they can spare capacity.

14. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    Guys, I just bought 2 970 EVO Plus and when I got home, I read on an article Samsung announced 980 Series. Irony at its best. In a very short period of time we're gonna see 980 Pro, EVO etc.Be a little patient except of course you need these great value SATA SSDs. Again, though, I'd buy the 860 EVO ( have 3 but got 'em out of my PC ) not the 870 QVQ. Both use LPDDR4.

Also about prices, even the last two years went somewhat lower. For instance, for the price of a 256GB M.2 SSD, now I can get 512GB M.2. That's not nothing, but understandably they don't lower the prices faster. Why should they? It's almost Cartel/Duopoly. 2-3 only have in-house controllers and rule the universe of SSDs.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  15. NiColaoS

NiColaoS Master Guru

GPU:
    3060 12GB
    For this reason and without any research, got an M.2 WD BLACK SN750 for the Windows because it was cheap, but as I see, it's extremely good, too. An in other test I saw, it draws the less power of all other NVMe SSDs. By luck did good choice. Only 90 euros for the 512GB which is enough for Windows only and some programs.

16. er557

er557 Guest

GPU:
    2x 1080 sc acx 3.0 sli
  17. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    I'd consider QLC if it was like 60-70% the price, but its a joke otherwise especially at 90% the price. 140MB/s writes when the cache fills up? Sure 80GB sounds like a lot to write before slowdown but as the drive fills up, you lose the SLC cache and will encounter slower writes more often.

18. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    - nvme = 4x pcie lanes/drive it's not free, it's very expensive in bandwith if it costs all your sata ports and half your pcie lanes its not an option (not with an incoming 3080ti who knows !)
    nvme and SSD are not in the same market at all because of that problem

I see in reviews and comments most people are not the target audience of those drives but still "look at them" as usual brands prefer blurring the lines hoping for "wrong" buys rather than explain properly which drive is for which use...
    those are not for os, not for people who don't need very large sizes, not for people who copy all the time etc..not sure for who they are, too expensive for what they are currently

80Gb cache..meh not for me lol
    https://ibb.co/xf7JN0V

Last edited: Jul 2, 2020
    er557 likes this.
  19. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    so will they slash prices in half later on or what? they seem completely pointless at the moment

er557 likes this.
  20. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    prices in my country : +-885USD for a 8Tb +-484USD for a 4Tb

to be compared with the current TLC drives lineup (only major brands are sold here) :
    860 evo basic 580$
    WD Red SA500 555$
    Sandisk SSD Ultra 3D 4TB 487$
    WD Blue 474$
    so roughly the same prices or even less sometimes for TLC drives rather than QLC, borderline scam other than the 8Tb which has no competition