Radeon™ Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.5.1 Beta with Graphics Hardware Scheduling Highlights.

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by GSDragoon, Jun 28, 2020.

1. GSDragoon

GSDragoon Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD Radeon RX 6800
    https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-20-5-1-ghs-beta

No Vega support, so I can't test this out myself. :(

Maddness, Jackalito, DanielRX and 5 others like this.
  2. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Let the rage begin because of 5000 only support. Lol! :D

3. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Thanks, Going for it now. Will tell in few hours about few CPU limited games. Btw, it's not like RX 5500(XT) is any different in this from 5700(XT).
    So, it may just be to limit scope for now. As AMD may think that situations where GPU is limited by CPU is not that common for lower tier or older, yet powerful GPUs.

Driver inf mentions sections for legacy GPUs: VLIW4/5
    And some mobility ones from above + GCN.

It is most likely some weirdo branch.

itpro likes this.
  4. zheega

zheega Active Member

GPU:
    RX6800XT
    >This feature is available on Radeon RX 5600 and Radeon RX 5700 series graphics products.

Holy crap, AMD..................

itpro likes this.

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Similar to NVIDIA although this is hopefully just initial support for the beta unless this is very much going to be RDNA only for whatever reason. NVIDIA I believe it's Turing and Pascal but not Maxwell and older.
    Thought this was some software change but the rep cited hardware advantages so maybe it could be enabled but scaling or the performance improvements would be minimal. (Well it's already 2 - 4% or something but when it works that's free performance.)

EDIT: Interesting that it doesn't (Does it?) contain the bug fixes in the earlier WSL driver, oh well maybe the next release driver (7.1 at this point?) will have both. :)

EDIT: Ah it's a earlier branch at least compared against the WSL driver, explains that at least.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    HD64G, itpro and LocoDiceGR like this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    :cool: Wait™ :rolleyes:

itpro likes this.
  7. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Technology moves on. Unfortunately people should change devices at some point. Newer hardware does give you almost always AMD vanguard access, despite changing vendor or becoming previous generation user. That means latest features come first to a specific amount of people, even in public. Remember other specific situations like enhanced sync, antilag, RIS, playready 3.0 etc. Patience.™

8. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Yup, i will wait NP.... Everything working Great so far, no biggie.

itpro likes this.
  9. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Until now even gpus from 5 years ago or even older took all features at some point. Even after a while year, no gpu left behind. AMD is not nvidia regarding features. Support means full support, not just some driver installation. ;)

HD64G likes this.
  10. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Fine Wine™ by ATI/AMD

itpro likes this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Is there really a reason why polaris and vega users didnt get a support?

12. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    Early adoption & testing, i would say...

13. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Two cards ffs, 5600 and 5700 users i dont think there is so many of them. We could be testing it together. Nvidia have pascal and turing users support.

14. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I took 9 games ranging from DX9~12, Vulkan.
    My baseline is "Pro 20.q2.1" driver which is "same" in terms of performance as 20.5.1 according to people around.

This driver here:
    HWS-OFF +2.6% (If I remove "fluke" results +0.55%.)
    HWS-ON +4.4% (If I remove "fluke" results +2.4%.)

So I would say it delivers around 2% ON vs OFF on RX 5700 XT.

Jackalito, Embra, HD64G and 4 others like this.
  15. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    Well, there is no boost for nvidia, so who cares anyway

16. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Well if it works in what I think it does and alleviates CPU bound situations it might be more important for AMD's other GPU's prior to RDNA although the drivers still have a bottleneck even if the hardware improves at least for DirectX 11
    NVIDIA has less problems here so even more CPU bound titles could see less of a gain as a result.

Could differ more once you drop down to 1080p or 720p just for checking the CPU workload and if that's where the benefits to this are going to be, will be fun to try it out more once support is a bit more robust and maybe the OS itself sees further improvements in how this is used or working around more common compatibility issues if that's possible without a per-app internal blacklist or something.

EDIT: It's not bad but I do hope it can at least cover Vega type GPU's and ideally also Polaris for the final implementation.
    This should be a interesting comparison if it can improve CPU bound bottlenecks plus expanding it out from just Navi and newer which I hope is just for this initial beta driver and feedback for how it's working.

EDIT: OS flexibility improvements as well if at all possible instead of some handful of compatibility issues and reboot for toggling the option on and off but I'm not a programmer it's complicated and there's no easy solution to some of these things where it just works.

API support and expanding it into a option for the display drivers to handle or even part of D3D11.x and newer itself through DXGI for developers to support perhaps but that's just a wild idea from my way of thinking about how to utilize it.
    It's a nice option and there's potential to use it for some extra performance with some testing needed for compatibility initially with more popular apps and games and then more specific cases as these get reported and tested.

17. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    If im not mistaken, we have HW GPU sheduling (Mostly used in Mantle/VLK/DX12 & DX11.1 or newer) even for GCN 1.0 :)
    7xxx GCN was the first GPUs to get this feature.

18. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Somewhat familiar sounding but to me that sounds like async compute done through hardware scheduling rather than through software and how this was handled between AMD and NVIDIA with AMD from the GCN 1.1 revision and GPU models and newer?
    (290/290X and newer? Technically the 285 first.)

Seeing more use lately that, probably not the easiest to code for and how to set up the very game engine to draw upon something like that with the primary example coming from idTech6 and newer going heavily into this although at this point NVIDIA also handles async compute well on their current drivers and GPU models from what I know so less of a advantage much as AMD still likes to promote async compute in games they do support even if it's used on a lesser scale. (Division and it's sequel for example.)

19. I0000days

I0000days Guest

GPU:
    5700 XT / 8GB
    Dragon Quest XI (vsync on 60hz) temps:
    HSW off
    CPU-65, GPU-67
    HSW on
    CPU-61, GPU-61

The only game I've tested so far because I knew that it runs at crazy high temps. HSW on fixes it all for me. Not saying that it will have the same drastic effect in other games, it probably won't, but in this broken game it improves things A LOT.

HD64G, OnnA, SpajdrEX and 1 other person like this.
  20. Rambo

Rambo Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 7800 XT
    There is no support for RX 5500 XT? Not funny. I hope they will add it later.