Xbox Series S Lockhart would have 7.5GB of usable ram and a 4 TFLOPs GPU

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 27, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    So this series S would be the minimum that will hold down all games for seriesX and ps5 and pc basically.
    Half of the ram, and one third fo GPU. A refresh of the current xbox one basically?

I hope the ps5 is the baseline, at least exclusives will look better.

3. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    At least right now both ps5 versions are the same thing, but one with missing features like a blu-ray drive.

xbox said they would keep having games work on all systems, including the fat xbox. I hope this will only be for a short while or that will still bottleneck gaming.

I'm surprised this Lockhart is coming out when xboxonex is a stronger system least in raw power unless this one has something else under it's sleever like the SSD

4. k0vasz

k0vasz Active Member

GPU:
    nV GTX1060 6G
    interesting, especially since it's weaker than the soon-to-be-previous-gen xbox one x (4 TFLOPS vs 6 TFLOPS)

5. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Not really, you are comparing different architecture CGN and RDNA2 , on top of that Xbox one X was 4k when this is only for 1080p.4 time less pixels to drive. It should do just fine, the question mark is more CPU clock and RT support.

Vega 64 was 12.6 tflops and it is beaten by the 8 tflop rx 5700 non xt.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    Cyberdyne and PrMinisterGR like this.
  6. Ne1l

Ne1l Active Member

GPU:
    465 Sli
    Lockhart will open up the vast market of people with 1080p TV's - 4K gaming TV's are still too expensive unless you're willing to compromise on features. eg LG promised a 'full' HDMI2.1 upgrade for their last two OLED generations but now say 'almost full' HDMI2.1 spec - I bought 65" B9 after they enabled g-sync support and promised full 2.1 support :mad:

Microsoft also have the xCloud, if Lockhart can output 4k maybe it can offload some compute to the cloud - or worst case just stream 4K games like Geforce Cloud.

7. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    This is why i love MS approach to unifying their consoles, W10 and games, so the system and games can be scaled up or down to meet the requirements of the hardware of the user, as they have done on the PC since time begain, so someone with a GTX750TI can play the games at their avalible hardware settings, and someone with a GTX2070 can play them to their hardware settings, and that for me works great, and does already, as i jump from playing FH4/Gears 5 on the XBX in 4k HDR, to then my play on my PC which only has a 1080p monitor when the TV is in use, and no matter if you have a PC or console, you can get access to the games you want to play on the hardware you want, that is a win for gamers right there. :)

I am now so accustomed to firing up a game on the PC that i have been playing on the XBX that the featurte is normal for me now, i can't do without it now, once see it cannot be unseen. lol

HonoredShadow and Cave Waverider like this.
  8. ivanosky

ivanosky Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060
    Not exactly half the RAM, it's 7.5 usable RAM for games, the Series X has 13.5 GB of usable RAM for games. So, the OS keeps 2.5 GB of RAM to itself. This means Lockhart has a total of 10 GB of RAM compared to 16 GB of the Series X. And while the GPU is a third of the Series X it is meant to render 4 times less pixels (1080p), so it makes sense to have a weaker GPU and less RAM. The other leaks mention a 8 core Ryzen CPU @3.5GHz, on par with the PS5 and 100 MHz slower than the Series X, and the same SSD. Basically it should provide the same experience as the Series X, but on 1080p and not 4K.

9. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    On top of that in the years to come Samsung should release quantum dot OLED, wich should offer improved brightness compare to today OLED, so if you can wait a little before jumping on the 4k tv bandwagon it might be worth it.

HonoredShadow likes this.
  10. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    why not just offer the current oneX as budget option? if they commit to support this thing for 8+ years... not sure if that would be a good thing, but being positive I guess the seriesX by not being the baseline target could more easily achieve 60-120fps and instant resume on a bunch of games designed with the seriesS in mind, or it could be the other way around and the seriesS is just borderline playable at 30fps everything

The Phoenix likes this.

11. JamesSneed

JamesSneed Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070
    Will have to see since RDNA2 is optimized for gaming unlike Vega which had a lot of silicon dedicated to compute. I suspect the TFLOPS ratings of AMD will now offer similar FPS to Nvidia's similar TFLOP rated cards now. In the past AMD would have much higher TFLOP rated cards producing less FPS than Nvidia because GCN was gaming and compute oriented.

12. ivanosky

ivanosky Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060
    The One X can't be a budget option because of the lack of SSD and very slow CPU. Lockhart is meant as a 1080p console, compared to 4K Series X. It's similar to PC gaming, where 2 PCs with same CPU, SSD, RAM, different GPUs (RTX 2060 and RTX 2080 Ti) and different amount of VRAM, should perform similarly in different resolutions (1080p and 4K). Lockhart should not hold back the Series X or the PS5, it should provide the same experience at a lower resolution.

Edit: A video by Digital Foundry, a 4 TF RDNA GPU (Lockhart) in 1080p outperforms a 10.2 TF RDNA GPU (PS5) in 4K.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2020
    sbacchetta likes this.
  13. umeng2002

umeng2002 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Super
    Current gen forced devs to use more than three threads. Next gen will force them to think about good scalability.

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  14. jetbruceli

jetbruceli Guest

GPU:
    RTX 2070 Super
    I see what MS did and while smart, very deceitful, why? Well, they brag about specs and performance and most users don't know the difference between the systems. Meaning they will buy the series S based on the idea that its the Series X performance. I know this because so many think they have an Xbox one x but have a one s. I know so many who don't know the difference between PS4 Slim and PS4 Pro. Heck, lots of people I talk to, think a computer is good based on the hard drive size.

15. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB

16. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I would like to make an honest, yet deeply impassioned plea for fellow Guru's to stop posting videos from these people...they are extremely biased and do not conduct proper multi-variant testing. If you want a technical analysis of something:

ASK HILBERT TO GET INVOLVED!

Thank you for listening.

17. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    You are talking about the same people who buy a Toyota Yaris thinking they will get Toyota Supra performance. If people buy something without knowing what they are buying, they deserve to get disappointed. We aren't talking about back alley deals here but normal commercial products with readily available information (once they are released). Maybe they will learn a lesson.

sbacchetta likes this.
  18. sbacchetta

sbacchetta Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    What !!!! I am pretty sure that my hybrid Yaris is as fast a supra....when there is a 50km/h limit :p
    Joke aside, you're right and there a lot of instance where tech company are deceiving but this is not one of them.

Kaarme likes this.
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    This is crap. They are gonna call something with the performance of a RX480 the “next gen”. Very interested to se the prices. Bet Microsoft will price this at $299 and say something deceptive like, “Next gen Xbox Series starting at $299.”

20. ivanosky

ivanosky Active Member

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 3060
    To be fair, a 4TF RDNA 2.0 GPU should be faster than a RX 480. But last gen they called a Radeon 7850 (PS4) and Radeon 7790 (Xbox One) "Next Gen", so... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯