Could Windows freeze due to changing ethernet cable?

Discussion in 'Operating Systems' started by Smough, Jun 24, 2020.

1. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I need help, I am very worried. With Firefox opened, my computer froze completely (never has done this before) and I was forced to do a hard reboot. This happened just before I got a new ethernet cable and changed it, when I plugged it was fine, but shortafter, the computer froze completely. And I have no idea why, I ran MemTest, storage tests, CPU ans GPU tests and no freezing or errors. Ran a couple of storage benches with HDTune, decided to run PassMark and Userbenchmark tests, nothing, all with good results.

Could this be related to the ethernet cable change, Firefox opened or something like that? And I have no idea if my PC will do this again, is there any "test" that could truly test this somehow?

I am running Windows 10 1809, fully updated.

Thanks in advance!

2. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Anything is possible with Windows 10.

I guess you could change the ethernet driver?

Maybe it was a Firefox induced video card driver crash?

386SX likes this.
  3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Windows could freeze for many reason, I can litterly reproduce on demand windows freezing simply by open front door and then shuting it on my FD R5 the moment the door shuts windows freezes. there is probably some grounding issue there i not sure. cause it didnt always do this and that start after after Took off my cpu fan to clean them and find out what was cause the hum in my pc. I put the fan back exactly how they were but the wiring on how it connections from fan to mobo changed.

I with my OLD pc I could reproduce system freezes by having Firefox open or well any program that use "hw acceleration" while Any Voice chat program like teamspeak, or ventrilo up and running connected to server. and that was 3+ years issue till I fiqured out that was cause my realtek audio drivers that took realtek years to fix

so could it happen from changing ethernet cable ( while pc is up) sure I would think it happens when the cable is changed out not later. which again I would think is some sorta grounding issue. the list of strange things happen in windows on pc is endless

Smough likes this.
  4. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Well, the ethernet driver is the latest, as far as I know of. But reinstalling it could help. But hopefully it doesn't happen again.

5. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Rule of thumb, the latest is not always the best.

386SX likes this.
  6. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    other then said freeze has anything else been changed updated etc prior to the freeze?

7. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    Not that I know of, none.

8. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    True, but never has done this.

9. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    It's possible that Firefox may have glitched out with the network driver resetting itself, then just made the GPU driver simply hang or something like that, but then again this is just a guess of any. No freezes since that one I had in all day, I guess I will find out if something is failing or not with another freeze, if it happens. If 15 days go by without another freeze, then I am just gonna assume it was a driver bug (Which is very likely).

I also decided to go back and just use my old cable as it just was working fine. I had weird idea of using a new one that some ISP guys left laying around when they came to configure my phone, but I think that could have caused some issues since that cable isn't the one that came with my router. Also the freeze could have been Windows stuck in some operation with the CPU at a 100% related to Firefox and network resetting. I kinda panicked and just hard resetted the PC. Oh well, I hope it never happens again or it will be big yikes. Thankfully, my family told me that if something happens to the PC, they will see what they can to to get a replacement; depending on which component could be the one who causes this.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  10. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    really unless there short in the wire I dont think it cable but again pc are weird.

I Few build back in Firefox ( 60-68 builds?) would cause TDR and only firefox it has since stoped I dont know which fixed either the builds got fixed of the gpu driver update fixed but I only updated my driver 3 times in past year or so if that. I could stress every part of my cpu and gpu for hours on end in games and other programs and not single TDR but Firefox would cause a randomly TDR. only good thing about when it happen in firefox is that it is self contained in firefox and dont effect windows, firefox would just have it screen blank out when the TDR happens.

I know the feeling of panicking when stupid thing happen on pc, I am like wtf is this and panic

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    pascal had firefox unstable drivers from 385.69 to 397.xx

12. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
  13. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
  14. -Tj-

-Tj- Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080TI iChill Black
    Kepler from 280- 290

Fermi from 180-190

I dare to say Turing from 480-490 lol

AsiJu and 386SX like this.
  15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol, its a possibility.

Mozilla need to work on their renderer and optimize it, the recent layers crap web render crap is kicking cards to full clocks because they hit 40+% util under idle clocks scrolling in some cases.

16. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Best solution for Firefox: install and keep the oldest and still supported ESR version, disable GPU hardware acceleration and multi-processors for content. I quitted having gpu drivers related issues and lowered a lot the number of page crashes.

And they told us the issues were all related C++... [sarcasm]

Last edited: Jul 8, 2020
    386SX likes this.
  17. 386SX

386SX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AMD Vega64 RedDevil
    Remember when Firefox was just a browser with addons? Today it's a multitude of layers of different stuff like Sync and the like. All of that eats performance.

BTW.: I cannot remember the name of the setting, but there is an interval where FF writes to disk to store its session. Search about:config for session. It's in milliseconds and default it's 15000, so every 15 seconds.
    Set it to 900000 and be happy with a session save every 15 minutes. A dozen times less writes. Keeps your ssd happy. ;)

18. Smough

Smough Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1660
    I just decided to go back to Chrome; FF felt way slower too, stuff like page load or YT had some issues. YT videos had hitching at times and stats showed no frames dropped, hence it was the browser acting weird.

386SX likes this.
  19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    or just set firefox to use memory only and aviod that issue all together if it problem for you. I do but I do fact it for the fact it wipes any bad ad/ bad malware that get threw ublock origin and it wiped it from firefox cache with out touching said drive. I do agree with others FF seems to got slower loading pages and such.

back in the day Firefox was the fastest browser, these day I stick to firefox simply cause I dont like how chome handles "clear" cache after shutdown and it cookies. and I never liked Edge cause looked to much like chrome, I never tried the new edge I will give try when I I upgrade to 2004 build of windows. Not really sure I want migrate all my password from firefox and lockwise though

Last edited: Jul 7, 2020