Red Dead Redemption 2 actually performs better on Linux than Windows with AMD Graphics

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Biały Wilk

Biały Wilk Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte Radeon HD 7850
    Or Solus. I'm a long Fedora user but recently I fall in Love with it. Great looking distro and a rolling release, but more stable than Manjaro with in time support for newer hardware.

2. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Let's not get ahead of ourselves.
    Main problem of any distro is over promising and under deliver.
    And I say this as a Linux user ...
    Just use the best tool for the job, my dad said.
    But there are some exceptions of that rule, as famous situation of the Threadripper scheduler working butter smooth in Linux and struggling in Windows...made my day.

3. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    so their windows drivers are THAT bad, huh

4. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Not a total surprise considering how good the AMD drivers on Linux are. Linus Tech Tips did a Video on Linux gaming and he mentioned some kind of technology that improved performance on AMD cards.

HandR and anticupidon like this.

5. JiveTurkey

JiveTurkey Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus 3090
    This is best news I have heard for some time.

Win 10 non consensual updates and restarts have screwed me on some project I had running overnight for the last time! I am no apple fan but if gaming was "pretty good" on there I would full convert immediately.

anticupidon likes this.
  6. kolayamit

kolayamit Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    Use PopOS guys, better than Ubuntu with Graphics drivers preinstalled. Currently dual booting with windows 10 and PopOS, hopefully i can shift to Linux in future.

anticupidon likes this.
  7. anticupidon

anticupidon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Polaris/Vega/Navi
    Just remember that any flavour of Linux simply is not Windows.

RzrTrek likes this.
  8. kolayamit

kolayamit Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1070Ti
    I know that, but we have to give Linux a chance to stop Windows monopoly.

anticupidon likes this.
  9. Granted this will depend on the distro & kernel and set of drivers but yes I am glad that linux is getting more credit that it deserves considering the advantages it has over the traditional consumer OS's (even macOS is becoming bloated)

10. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    Yeah unfortunately the desktop version of ubuntu isnt very well supported, many of the defaults are exactly the same as the server version.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    You mean basically as close as you could get to a bare metal console without actually being one. ;)

Passus likes this.
  12. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Can you list the top three advantages linux has for the 'traditional desktop user/consumer'? Off of the top of my head, I can't think of a single one for the average desktop user that just wants stuff to work when he plugs in the latest wiz bang gizmo or does not have to consult a list to see if his application, hardware and possibly firmware are compatible.
    AintNobodyGotTimefoThat.gif

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  13. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    A big advantage for linux , is that if you have hardware that is supported by the kernel (which is most hardware these days), it will work, Plug and play, no driver installs .

Much like windows the trouble comes when drivers or libraries have to be installed through via a thirdparty, The state of Gnu/linux i'd say isn't any worse than windows from a User perspective these days, so long as its an appropriate distro.

I feel the real hurdle for an avg user , is that because virtually nobody uses linux based oses for desktop, it is incredibly difficult to get help if you dont know what to do, you can't go to a computer store , you can't really call anyone , and while documentation is pretty good often and there are forums that help, those resources still require a minimum knowledge level to use them effectively, that most people do not have.
    this is far inferior to windows where everyone has that one guy that "knows machines".

14. ^ Right but to be fair AMD does keep an Open driver project (don't they?) - I'll be honest I haven't booted my linux box in a minute. that one can add the repo to their distro and verify is updated on their installation and I'm really just in essence referring to that as I'm sure anyone wants to always have the latest and greatest GPU drivers

15. Eh well I think there's an ever aging battle between those that want the Linux community to be one where you need to understand how computers "truly" work & the school of thought of those whom feel it can be both that & user-friendly to a degree. I am personally glad that because of this Linux is not the primary consumer OS nor the Enterprise one. Then again, it's a mixture of Linux / Win OS Server in the Enterprise space. To be fair Enterprise space probably has as much Win OS Server matched with Linux if not more.

EDIT: No thanks to the listing; take that as my forfeiting an argument or whatever I don't care man. It's Sunday and I want ice cream not to get into a long Linux blablabla discussion.

16. Elfa-X

Elfa-X Member Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 6800 XT
    Woopdie Doo, what does it all mean Basil?

17. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    All this means nothing as this will only attract people who already use Linux. There are simply too many hoops to jump through in regards to gaming on Linux for the vast majority of PC gamers to even bother trying. You have multiple items to install and installing them is not easy for the average user. Tell them they need to chose a distro, you lost half of them already. You tell them they need to install programs like wine, lutris in order to get the majority of games to work, you just lost a quarter of them. Then tell them in order to install most programs on linux you have to use an app store (if the distro has one) but if that doesn't work you have to add a repository link, then you have use the terminal...... and bam they have either fell asleep or are already playing games on Windows.

Linux needs a proper installer, none of these repositories or using the terminal for the majority of people to start using it. Or find a better way to add these in or make them easier to understand for the average person. Until Linux ditches the terminal it will forever remain the least used OS for gaming.

I really hope it doesn't as I've used a few distro's in the past to try them out and within a few hours, or a few days I hit hurdles or got frustrated with the UI and moved back to Windows. However, I also get the same frustrations with Windows and have always wanted a distro of Linux to win me over but alas none have. But I hope to proven wrong in the coming years.

18. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    I had the ice cream. A big old bowl of Tillamook Mudlslide. Probably close to 1K calories.

Deleted member 213629 likes this.
  19. A good choice; Cherry Garcia here & I dipped into the Strawberry Cheesecake too what the hell

20. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    Well, WINE has no overhead. It's not a VM, and it's not a translation layer. It's an implementation of Windows libraries on Linux. It's like any other Linux library.