Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Sorry I thought I could get it though "System" and was putting off pulling the damn thing out to PROVE to some random the age of a console. It's 7215b, a phucking jet engine when stressed. If you don't believe me the fine, You can live in your bubble. My Xbox one X is in the same console and wispier quiet. I enjoy my PS4 more but it;s too damn loud.

according to WIKI
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Bundle ? CUH-7215B Jet Black 1 TB Call of Duty: Modern Warfare Jet Black 6.20 Quieter cooling

It's common knowledge PS4's (all of them) are loud. Stop trying to defend it.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2020
    XP-200 likes this.
  2. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^^That's a bummer, so even the 72xx models can have noise issues when pushing CB 4k.:(

3. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I mean it doesn't really bother me that much I can put headphones on, but I just don't get why some act like the fan noise is not a real thing.

I think the people that are not having fan noise aren't running the Pro in 4k with full RGB and HDR.

XP-200 likes this.
  4. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    [​IMG]
    As looks go it puts the Series X to shame. I wonder if the light bar on the console has multiple colors like the controller does. That would be cool.

Loophole35 likes this.

5. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Well you have a point there, mine has three levels of noise, 1080p with HDR off and no super sampling and it is as quiet as the XBX, play a PSVR game and the fan will ramp up a bit, but you have the vr earplugs in, so you would need to pause everything to pick up the fan, but do 4k CB and it goes ballistic, and personally i have never, and would never build a PC that sounded like this, and neither would anyone around these parts i suspect, Sony just went cheap on the fan, and the case is not doing much for sound damping either.....but hopefully they have learned from this and the PS5 is nice and quiet when in use, and with it pushing 4k and RT in games the cooling will be pushed to the max so the cooling better be top teir.

Loophole35 likes this.
  6. Calmmo

Calmmo Guest

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Zotac AMP
    I've a pro that sounds like a jet engine on quite a lot of (the more demanding) games. Playing Y6 atm, and sure it's not full on jet engine on that title like GoW or HZD or D:BH but it still sounds like a jet engine half way through its pre-flight warmup.
    Anyway, Cerny even criticized the PS4 jet on his PS5 tech press thing, not sure what "fans" denying it will achieve at this point, just hope the new console's reportedly a lot more expensive cooling solution works well.

Loophole35 and XP-200 like this.
  7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Sorry for my delay, didn't get the notification.

So yeah - not the 7216b, and you are using regular HDD, when I'm using an SSD (MX-500)

I'm not defending anything, I'm just saying that I have no noise.

As for the model number, it's on the box on the front, I do not know why you didn't just look at the box?

You think wrong sir, respectfully.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
  8. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Box for PS4 is in my storage unit not at my house.

No you are wrong RESPECTFULLY. I"m using a 500GB WD blue SSD as a main drive and a 2TB external SSD. Which BTW has NOTHING to do with the fan noise.

You assume things too much. 72xx are all the same internals.

Sony even admits the noise is normal and the only difference between the 15b and 16b is the bundle they come with.

I don't get why you are claiming something that is proven.

9. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So...an increase in temperature due to using an HDD versus an SSD does not mean that the fan would have to rotate more to cool the system down?

C'mon...that's a completely fair and reasoned assumption by me on the basis that you didn't list your storage solution.

You are unlucky. I do not get any noise. I am lucky. You are not.

That is nothing more for me to say on this to try and convince you that you are unlucky and I am not, but the facts are facts.

The 7216b is not noisy, if you put an SSD in it, which let's face it, is kinda normal practice for consoles anyway - was yours second hand, by any chance?

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    SSD"s commonly generate more heat than HDD.

And brand new.

What's the model number of the TV you have your Pro hooked to and what are your video output settings?

11. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    key word here some people have quiet system some do not, the internal maybe the same the fact that sony use 2 different brands fan in there system means that one is gonna be louder then the other which has already been proven. just like you can get fan for pc that from one brand and other from another brand and be the same rpm but have completely different DB ratings, I know for fact my ps4 is multiple levels of loudness from the fan the more the the system is using its hardware the more louder the fan gets. I still think earlier models of ps4 fan speed was based on load and not temperatures newer build might of switched to temp based. but that another conversation that or i just got system with loud fan. cause from day i got it always been the same. and I clean out system and re pasted it which had almost no dust in it after 5+ years and it still a loud as the day I got under loads.

And the Pro's I had ( 4 replacement and 2 different models cause i was trying get one with out coil whine) I had all had different levels of fan loudness in same place in same game I did test with cause you have 50/50 chance of getting quiet brand or loud brand and frankly by my standards both brand are loud just one is quieter. by my standard I would never make or own pc with fan that get as loud as ps4/pro gets there all regardless of which fan brand it loud period under load.

I only come cross 1 blower style fan that was whisper quiet at 2k rpm and that ACNV5 they were making for the nvida 6xxx series cards I Still have the Aftermarket HSF sadly the card is long dead but that was dead quiet at 2k rpm in comparison to most blower style fans and most run faster then 2k and generally there already much louder at 2k forget when it at 3 or 4k rpm

Then we have people that different tolerance to what is loud, what is quiet to one person could easily be loud to another cause it out of there tolerance range

Te ps4/pro is universally accepted by most people to be a loud system under load cause of the fan not really being good quality in first place, and blower style fan never help, which why i avoid them like plague on pc builds cause there generally worse in department of rpm to noise ratio.

Loophole35 likes this.
  12. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    A blower style fan will never be whisper quiet at any RPM over 1000. I'm very interested to see the internals of teh new PS5.

13. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    Consumer "Hello, i would like to purchase your PS4 Pro please"
    Sony "No problem, that will be £350"
    Consumer "Here you go(Hands over £350)....thank you"
    Sony "Oh and before you go.....You will be wanting one of these(swings SSD drive in hand)"
    Consumer "Why?"
    Sony "Oh let's just call it insurance against excessive heat and noise"
    Cunsumer "And if a don't want to buy your £100 SSD drive"
    Sony "Who can tell what will happen, accidents happen all the time, what about your lovely wife, she has a very pretty face, would be a shame if anything caused it to overheat and make a lot of noise....if you get my drift"
    Consumer "Okay okay, take the money, i had it here all the time"(hands over £100)
    Sony "Smart move buddy.....oh and how are you for PSPlus?"
    Consumer "(Runs out of shop)"
    lol

Ghosty and Loophole35 like this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    from what I reading though nothing is offical ps5 15x12x3.5 which rather big already compared to all other consoles. for it size I hope the thermals are good and they used fan that dont sound like jet engine taking off under load. considering the size they could use beefier heatsink which would go long way help keeping the fan noise in check. cause then you wouldnt need a 3~4k rpm blower fan. I would rather they make design that dont use a blower styler fan. which I think is why MS design there system case which look more like tower case then anything cause from what see there that isnt using blower style fan and if it did it highly unlikely is 92mm blower style fan.

The ps4 fan is 92mm fan at best it isnt 120mm let alone 140mm I have had fan of that size in a pc of mine in over decade

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020
    dark_surge likes this.
  15. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    The only thing sony get from me consistently is a yearly sub. some time I buy 1 game year other time 3 or 4 some times none the 24 games plus give a year whether i like them ore not is worth cause to get those game other wise would way more then the 59$ year they ask which what lot people forget when they psn plus isnt woth the game they give or crap etc etc, the game have value whether you like them or not or more times then not the game you get over year have value or over 150$ cause if you where to buy those game one at time over the year would of payed alot more then the 59$

16. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    I never pay full price for PS+. I always get a year on sale like $42.

17. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @Loophole35 Oh i dont either I usual pay around 38$ eac I just recently bought like 2 years worth for that price so i good for till like 2023 like it much better when I could get them on sale for like 29$ but that was before price hiked

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It was the Panasonic 65GZ950B that I sent back (wasn't impressed enough) and through that I did play HZD with the PS settings outputting RGB, plus of course RDR2 which I played in pieces. I can't remember whether last guardian had HDR, I don't think it did, but the PS was set the same.

Right now I'm using a Plasma, and am outputting the same, minus HDR - but switching to either a Sony or a Panny panel later...depends on what the newer 75incher from Panny isn't clear what HDMI they're are going to run...then there are some other 'technicals' that are concerning me.

ninjaedit: the power draw of an MX-500 is 65mW, or, 0.065W...the Travelstar® 5K1000 can be 4500mW.

The increase in powerdraw (as indicated by others here) has an impact on the heat being generated...you must concede that, in truth.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2020
  19. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    There are no Plasma TV's that are 4k. Also the power draw from a HDD is from the motor inside. The PS4 only monitors power draw from the APU the power draw from the storage has no bearing.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So, what you are saying is that putting an SSD into a PS4Pro does not make any difference whatsoeverinanyway as to the heat being generated, and therefore, the speed of the cooling fan rpm?

Also, why are talking about plasmas?