AMD StoreMI version 2.0 is on the way

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 17, 2020.

1. Cave Waverider

Cave Waverider Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS RTX 4090 TUF
    Personally, we've had many more HDDs fail in the past decade than SSDs. We haven't had an SSD fail over here after our first SSDs, two old OCZ Vertex 2 drives failed. We've had a bunch of more or less expensive SSDs from Samsung, OCZ, Corsair, SanDisk, PNY etc. in multiple systems since then using them as we would a HDD and all of them are still working without issue (need to knock on wood, I guess). In the meantime, 8 HDDs failed (a happy mix of Seagate, WD and Samsung) since that time. So from our personal experience, SSDs have proven to be more reliable than HDDs over the past decade or so. That can just be a coincidence, of course. But I don't have any more concerns about SSD reliablity compared to HDD reliability these days, at least for personal use.

2. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
  3. SplashDown

SplashDown Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 980ti Classy
    Same here, I've had HDD's fail but not 1 SSD yet.

4. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I'm honestly not convinced it was ever a big deal for most consumers. I still have an OCZ Vertex 120 in an office laptop that's basically been in use, every single weekday day, since 2009.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    do you need a re-education on how silicon degrading occurs?

6. d0x360

d0x360 Guest

GPU:
    2080ti ftw3 ultra
    I'd bet this is integrated into the new Xbox (but not the ps5 due to its custom ssd controller) and between this and the raw power of the system and all the crazy software tricks Microsoft came up with that will also be part of dx12u... This console is looking extremely high end.

7. d0x360

d0x360 Guest

GPU:
    2080ti ftw3 ultra
    At this point an SSD wearing out isn't really an issue because you will probably upgrade them long before they die. I have a SSD that's 5 years old, has had games installed and uninstalled hundreds and hundreds of times because I have a gigabit connection I just constantly download when I need something. I also have a swap file on that SSD and it's just as fast and reliable as day 1. Super important files go on an hdd.

My setup is like....

Windows and only windows on an SSD with all default folders set to an HDD, no swap file on the drive.

5 SSD's for games, 2 are nvme.

Near the end of the year I'm going to build a ryzen system. My i7 5820k has been amazing. All (6) core overclock is stable up to 5.2 GHz but I run it at 4.4

It's still plenty capable but I want more cores and gen 4 pcie. My 2080ti demands more cores. CPU use usually hangs around 50% because games don't generally max you out unless your CPU is really old but games and other things perform better on more cores even if they are slower. Id also like to plug Intel's security holes.

What a ramble lol...

schmidtbag and Maddness like this.
  8. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    Its gotten to the stage for me personally, that I only run SSD's in my PC. I have several old HDD's sitting in a cupboard. I don't think I'd purchase another HDD again.

9. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    It was on pro use, and under an internal custom linux distro.
    Yes quite some lot of IO.
    It was fail of cell for the Samsung, and for the corsair it was unable to access to it... definitively.
    After those fail we passed to MLC, more expensive but no more problem.

mentor07825 likes this.
  10. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT

11. Reardan

Reardan Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 3080
    No it isn't, I've literally shown you a research paper collaboration between the University of Toronto and Google and all you've said is "nuh uh"

12. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    I was bummed out. Finally got an X470 and X399 setup and it was pulled down.
    Been waiting to use it.

I wanna use a 512gb NVME with my 2TB game drive on my threadripper and a 512gb nvme with my 3tb game drive in my x470 rig.

13. rl66

rl66 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 6700 XT
    it's about SLC and MLC... it's PRO use and cost a lot BECAUSE they are super reliable.
    (As an exemple, Samsung 970 PRO in MLC 1To 430 Euro and the Samsung 970 EVO Plus in TLC 1To 230 Euro, also SLC is nearly twice the MLC's price).

TLC and QLC are the main consumer one and have a much shorter life (but enough for most people) AND are less reliable too...
    The good compromise is TLC for main consumer and MLC for pro use.
    Most sold are TLC and QLC.

14. LordKweishan

LordKweishan Guest

GPU:
    Asus GTX 680 TOP
    NOPE.
    You didn't keep reading did you?
    "When the count exceeds a target limit, the affected block is copied over to a new block, erased, then released to the block pool. The original block is as good as new after the erase."

So after a certain number of reads a program/erase cycle (write) happens. Thus reading does wear out the SSD. It's probably a very small amount compared to normal writes but it still occurs.