Sony PlayStation 5

Discussion in 'Consoles & console games' started by tsunami231, Apr 16, 2019.

1. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    They made the right choice going with that custom cooler setup as you can hear the difference, well you can't but that's the point. lol.......Sony should have went down a similar route with the Pro as it cost enough and it seems from the noise they did not spend any of that extra cost on better cooling or even a 4k UHD BR player. lol

2. Ghosty

Ghosty Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3050
    Another bonus point to MS is the Microsoft store. Games are reasonably priced on it. So if they do bring out a digital version it could be a big hit.

3. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    might fix the fan issue wuth pro which really wasnt issue to me, but the coil whine was not which is the issue for me and why i dont own one

how big I mean it does look huge

only bonus MS has thats even tempts me not that I will own a MS console or use MS store. is there Buy game digital for xbox one get copy for next xbox digitally free, I surprised Sony didnt do this to copy then, then again sony still wont do BC like MS is doing

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
  4. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^It's a weird machine because i have no coil whine at all, and this was my second Pro as i returned the first the very next day after i fired up GOW and was shocked by the fan, but on getting the second and checking online i saw it was a issue a lot were having, so i just kept it and accepted when playing in 4k CB that Thunderbirds Are GO!. lol

Not mine just another poor sod with the same issue.

5. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah I heard "rumors" of people getting machines with out coil whine they must be lucky cause I went threw 4 replacement and 3 different models, I have a friend ( he mad with me cause I point out the noise he thought was the fan was really coil whine) that has latest model cause at this point I not gona buy one, and they all have coil whine and MGS:TP is one those game I used to test for coil whine but some game are much worse. Either people lucky? or they mistaking coil whine for fan noise, or they just cant hear the tones coilwhine makes. not sure which but they all have it.

I will agree though of the 3 models I had and 4 replacement before I just refunded it all the fan is HIT or MISS seeing there 2 diffrent manufactors for it one that insanely loud another that quieter not sure if the fan was made quieter on latest reversions over the one I heard

but yah the video is good example of shitty fans. Sony need to use 1 manufacture and that makes quaity fans which rare ofor slot type fans. that fan there is worse then all the ps4 pro i tried. IF i had system like that would be ripping into sony support and sony for using such bad fan, actual that would be so bad I would sell the pro, cause that is out side my tolerance for fan, and the fan for ps4 I have in full gear is is at end of tolerance range.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2020
    XP-200 likes this.
  6. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    My fan on my Pro is loud AF but no coil whine. I use headphones usually as the only time I get to play is after my kids are asleep.

XP-200 and Redemption80 like this.
  7. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    if it was as loud as that fan in the video you would probably never hear it less it really only noticeable ingames

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    I'll keep saying it for the people on the bleachers:

MY PS4 PRO IS SILENT.

I run a 7216b (2018!) and an MX500 ($100!) because I want fast loads and the highest possible performance from my PS4 Pro.

ZERO NOISE.

All these people running old versions of the 'Pro, I feel for you, I really do. I can't be nice to have a 'pro' version of anything, only to have it make some noise when using it, but, you cannot outright say with impunity that "The PS4 is crazy loud" because it does not apply to me, but you, and certainly not to every single PS4 Pro, just the early 'adopters'.

You are unlucky. I am not. And others like me are also not.

-----

Anyway, onto the real reason for me being here in this sub-forum today, and (if I may point this out) this is the PS5 thread, so....

I've had a chance to think some more on the PS5 reveal and think that as Sony are smart enough to release a digital and non-digital version out of the gate, MS have a problem that I think no one even considered at MS:

IF we work on the premise that the 'box is gonna be the same price WITH the optical drive...then Sony just won, because that would mean the digital version of the PS5 will be cheaper than the 'box. Game over.

Regarding the size, I think it's bigger than it (perhaps) needs to be, and not by much, maybe a few millimetres, maybe a few centimetres...but yup, I think/believe there is a chance they made it bigger than it perhaps needed to be. Very hard to know, and I could be totally wrong, but the size does not appear to make sense...at the moment.

It's an engineering choice, more than a design choice - I think there is every chance MS just opted to make the 'box as compact as possible, possibly to save manufacturing costs...which is why it's just a simple cuboid, with an exhaust on the top? Unless than is an intake fan system? (citations needed, haven't got any)

If I were to compare the two designs aesthetically...I have to side with the PS5...it's just so f'king beautiful and I cannot wait to have it in my enormous double height ceiling apartment duplex, because it will fit right in! (right next to the work of art I have on my wall - *see profile picture)

Anyway, the deciding factor is the digital version and the standard version for many gamers (and parents!) with grown ups choosing the standard version to use it as a 4KUHD playback/media box + games for the kidz, and parents buying the digital version for their kidz bedrooms, because it's the lower-cost option. I have thought about this, and I truly cannot think like a kid would, but...would a kid want the one with the optical drive or not? (in general terms)

Answers on a postcard to the usual address.

9. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    I think you hit in on the head as i am sure i read that the pro was being made with two types of fans at one point and one was really loud while the other was not, hence why the issue is all over the place, but with the PS5 on the way at least i will be able to trade it towards a hopefully new quiet system at last, as i was not going to pay Sony more money for a 72xx model that addressed the noise issue that they sneakily fixed on the quiet.(no pun intedned). lol

10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah mine is a newer model than yours. Difference is mine is in a entertainment console. I open the door when i play a game but the back is close off so the fan has to ramp up more to move the hopt air out. If i were to move it out into the open air it MAY get a little quieter but i doubt it especially when it's doing 4K checkerboard.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    What is your model number?

12. boodikon

boodikon Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Leadtek 8800 GTS 640mb (600 core)
    TK-421

Loobyluggs likes this.
  13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Don't know off the top on my head. I just bought my Pro this year though. I'll check when i get home.

14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    Why would you trade in system, doing that was single worse thing I did as kid, to trade in my turbo graphx 16 for ps1 and my dreamcast for ps2 with all the game I had for it I regret doing that to this day. I by console I keep now till the day it dies and it dies I replace same for games I keep never to sold.

I do hope ps5 is quiet no coil whine I truly do or at very lest quieter then the cuh 1116a. I recently tore it down cause gona be replace with ps5 soon to repaste it with mx 4, also paste on it wasn't it dry and there was next to no dust in the system anywhere, but when I put back together it was no more quieter then day I got it still goes in to is jet engine mode in same places in my games. I could replace fan in it but most these fans are coming from china found one place on amazon but there sell the fan for 1116a for 43$ and used at that. that and I not even sure I care to tear it down again, unless i know for fact the new fan will make it quieter

The Blacksmith menu and shrine menu in nioh and nioh 2 or notorish for send the it in jet engine mode. I am sure parts FF7R make did too but most time when I played that I was using my headphones.

XP-200 likes this.
  15. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    ^^Well trading it in will be proviso that the PS5 is actually back compat with the PS4, so nothing is set in stone yet, but i don't really want to add more consoles onto the pile already gathering dust at the back of a room cupboard from the Philips CDI, 2 Dreamcasts, Saturn, PS1,2 and 3, 3 original xbox, 2 360s, 1 LTD SW 360, Gamecube, 3 Wii, WiiU, and add to all that all the peripherals that go with each one..............so i think enough is enough at this point. lol

serbicu likes this.

16. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    I know some one that has 2 storage unit full of all the stuff he been collecting for 25+ years I told him once I sold consoles when I was younger and he he hit me lol

XP-200 likes this.
  17. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    I wonder how much they would give me if I traded in my original PlayStation now.... lol

Would never do that though...

SkullMonkeys!

18. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    2 storage units :eek:. Lol

19. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yah his wife is kind annyoed that his collection is clogging up her storage unit and not just his

XP-200 likes this.
  20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    You haven't been home since Tuesday?