NVIDIA GeForce 446.14 WHQL driver Download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by kx11, May 27, 2020.

1. n1hilist

n1hilist Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I may have spoken too soon.
    Randomly got super bad lag just opening a Youtube video.

Then later on performance tanked so bad as soon as I opened the Start Menu, the mouse cursor was moving at what felt like 1FPS
    The only apps I had open at the time was a remote desktop session, Putty (ssh client), Github Desktop and Latencymon. Latencymon reported what looked like 14 SECONDS due to nvidia's driver and in Task Manager I saw Desktop Window Manager spiking up to 90% GPU usage.

I was about to reboot, so closed Remote Desktop and as soon as I closed it, my rig completely froze.

All my temps were fine, all the air coming form GPU, PSU and CPU were not even warm.

2. GiveMe

GiveMe Active Member

GPU:
    RTX 3080 Trinity OC
    sounds like a TDR that never ended

3. n1hilist

n1hilist Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I've reverted back to 445.87, reverted back to Win10 1909 (the issues started on 1909 but were worse on 2004) and uninstalled all MS Updates from May so far things feel way more responsive and no issues yet...

4. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    A lot of drivers are showing this issue for me. I turned off hardware acceleration on Edge and Chrome a while ago because of this.

5. n1hilist

n1hilist Guest

GPU:
    MSI RTX 2070 Super
    I actually saw Firefox using 39GB of "Dedicated GPU Memory" some time ago, figured it was a bug in Task Manager but now I'm not so sure :D But I wasn't having the hangs and stutter when that happened.

6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    then you both have either corrupt windows installs or defective hardware.

7. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Fresh install of windows 2004, no "debloating" crap or anything on my windows. My 970 is kinda old, so, I don't doubt. But this slowdown only happened on 60fps youtube videos. So I don't really mind to turn off hardware accelerated, cool. This is the only issue I can find. And not in every driver.

8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    use h264ify, the slowdown is your cpu decoding the video, 900 series doesn't support vp9 decoding.

Buccellati likes this.
  9. Clair Hardesty

Clair Hardesty Guest

GPU:
    2x EVGA 980 SC SLI
    Just an FYI: Driver version 451.22 is available if you download CUDA 11. The installer looks just like a normal video driver installer with CUDA added. If you select custom install you can deselect the CUDA install and only install the new driver.

The current driver included with the Win 10 preview fast track is 450.82.

10. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Never imagined 900 series got shafted this much. I'll try it.

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Hey, don't worry, pascal got screwed for 10bit vp9.

12. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    Well, they just don't support that via hardware. It's YT that shafted you, not nVidia. They also shafted all AMD GPU users, because only Navi supports vp9 fully for decoding (chips before Navi have hybrid solution and use a lot of CPU )

13. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Wasn't nvidia the one to choose not to adopt it in hardware? lol
    Vp9 was out before 900 series, if I remember correctly.

14. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    there are different sub-types within vp9. there is 30fps, 60fps, 4K, 8K, not all cards can do all the stuff fully HW even if they support vp9. It's developed by google way back when even 4K almost wasn't in existence and YT was still running in flash. It was released in 2013 if I am not mistaken. It had a completely different purpose back then.

PS. nVidia didn't adopt it back then because it was meant for playing matroska files in <1080p and CPU did that just fine. So I guess they didn't bother? Who knows... Perhaps when nV got caught in streaming content they had to adopt it. They tried it their way but that went nowhere fast.

-Tj- likes this.
  15. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    So... nvidia shafted 900 series. With other missing features too. But it's cool, old hardware today. Too late to complain.

16. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    well amd shafted all series (maybeee not navi)

17. Buccellati

Buccellati Member

GPU:
    GTX 970
    Well, no adaptive sync for 900 series either. And if I'm not wrong, Amd had it since RX 200 series? But not the topic for this kind of discussion.

-Tj- likes this.
  18. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    adaptive sync is VESA standard, it was around forever, but no one "talked about it", until g-sync. Then AMD made freesync, which is anything but free :D

19. sof006

sof006 Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Not sure if just me but I have constant crashes (games force closing) when using 446.14. I did a clean install of previous driver and issues have stopped. I know its not the install of the driver as its a fresh install of Windows and latest driver. Has anyone else here had issues with the latest official release?

Games I crashed on was Sea of Thieves, Destiny 2 and GTA 5. No blue screens, just games would force close as if someone pressed ALT F4 on my keyboard.

endbase likes this.
  20. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    Are you on windows 2004 by any chance ?