AMD to postpone Zen 3 processors to 2021 due to weak competition

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 16, 2020.

1. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Go open your company, and make research and product for the sake of it.
    There is nothing on the landscape of cpu that makes you need a faster cpu compared to zen 3900X.
    They do not need to rush in delivering this, there is really no need, if they want to take more time, great they can.
    You can upgrade your computer with whatever is available in the market, and if is not worth, well is not time to upgrade.

It seems so easy and clear to me that i have no idea what are you complaining about.

2. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    In Europe, AMD has 85% of the market?

Loophole35 likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    If you consider germany as whole eu.

Loophole35, Luc and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    First line is... just silly, sorry. Second line is argueably true or false whatever point of view you have... and why buy a 3900X when they would have offered me a 4900X?

Bold part is indeed right 100%, I concur.

As for the rest that you easily and clearly don't understand, it's a basic human reaction, and without wanting to flame you or anything, if you don't get it, it's no use trying to explain.

Hence why I did not see it as true either... and also not even in Germany, at Germany's biggest etailer maybe, but not in the whole of Germany... I bet more OEM machines (which are almost exclusively Intel) were sold than the biggest etailer sells in DIY SKUs.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020
    Undying likes this.

5. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    Spectacularly incompetent PR from AMD if true. The whole reason for the Zen 3 on B450 fiasco was the promised support through/until 2020. If it ends up being released in 2021, AMD could have saved themselves a lot of hassle by deciding to do this sooner.

6. D1stRU3T0R

D1stRU3T0R Master Guru

GPU:
    8 GB
    Well, AMD is going Intel.
    FIrst they said that not even the X470 wouldn't be enough for the Zen3, so we have to change the mobo too.
    Then, released CPUs whitout coolers.
    Now, delaying just because they THINK that Intel isn't competing, while they still have much higher mind share, better gaming performance and etc?

Also, "AMD will be delaying their ZEN2 announcements towards 2021" ... wasn't Zen2 already announced in 2019/2020?

7. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    I don't think this makes sense; AMD are not likely to turn into dicks overnight.

As far as gaming goes, everyone knows Intel has a marginal advantage - and IF Zen 3 were to change that I would have thought they'd want to release it as soon as it is viable to do so.

Luc likes this.
  8. Goiur

Goiur Maha Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4080
    Germany = EU
    USA = World/Universe/Existence

We all know that lol

jura11, EspHack, -Tj- and 2 others like this.
  9. gx-x

gx-x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    1070Ti Phoenix
    AMD probably:
    so they want ZEN3 on AM4 boards? Ok. We have excellent yields for ZEN2, Intel is doing their Meteor Lake thing and meanwhile are on autopilot with their Coffee, we should postpone our expenses and not undermine our ryzens 3xxx before we have to. We shall just keep profiting of off these until we have to release ZEN3. By then, ZEN2 prices will fall and we won't have to overprice ZEN3 too much and get criticized too much when Meteor Lake comes out."

10. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    If this is true ..... So they are giving intel a break to catch up ? I am not buying it there is a problem or with the pandemic around they put down data and figure a way to maximize profits .

If this rumor is true.

Luc likes this.

11. Ricardo

Ricardo Member Guru

GPU:
    1050Ti 4GB
    I think multiple factors would make this decision make sense, from a pure business perspective:

1) Main engineer of future intel CPUs, Jim Keller, just resigned, even though he will still remain there for another 6 months. That should give them a lot (more) trouble to put out a new arch that can actually compete with steamrolling-zen.
    2) 10nm from intel still isn't ready for prime time, and may never be. So they either have to figure out another process or just go desperate-mode and contract an external foundry like AMD is doing, which would be quiet convoluted for them.
    3) Intel is giving all signs of defeat. Hell, their top corporate guys are churning out stupid statements such as "benchmarks don't matter", which makes it plain obvious that they have nothing left in their hands. If they had anything, you can bet they would be screaming about it.
    4) AMD is getting praise in all CPU segments now: they're the most cost-efficient in laptops, desktops and servers. Aside from a few niche e-wiener-comparing fields, they're even besting Intel's current CPUs. So yeah, they're on top with Zen 2, that's going to be akin to a sandy bridge for them - incredibly good longevity.
    5) The world is blowing up, why bother releasing anything now? Makes a lot of sense to wait for things to get better before releasing a product that is simply not essential for everyday life.

All of that said, I'm sad to see AMD starting to show it's corporate claws, even though that's expected from any reasonable business. Now it's time to consider rooting for intel, or else we'll start to see AMD putting a lot of pluses in their archs.

12. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    Didn't AMD just put out an official statement confirming ZEN3 and RDNA2 being on track, to put a stop to the rumors?

Seems that didn't work so well.

Luc likes this.
  13. buhehe

buhehe Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 6700 XT
    All rumor news (i.e. non-news) should have their titles prefaced by [Rumor] or something, IMHO

sykozis and Luc like this.
  14. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Until AMD themselves make such a statement, it isn't true.

EDIT: and even if it were, better use the extra time to iron out all kinks especially firmwareside.

Every Ryzen launch prior has had... less than optimal firmware / BIOS available at release.

buhehe and Luc like this.
  15. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Having the gaming crown of a few extra frames per second probably doesn't translate into much extra business. Same with top tier graphics cards. The size of market doesn't make it that worthwhile.

I suspect AMD is figuring there is no point to release it now, better to wait, use the time to optimise and fix any performance bugs in it, and wait until Intel's next move.
    If they release 1st, then Intel knows what it has to beat. It's like a game of poker now, see who shows their hand 1st.

16. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    I think that the market is now 50%-50% here in italy, before ryzen 3000 maybe 75% intel 25% AMD

many people are still buying intel because it's intel.. no further reasons

so it's not a good point considering mindfactory as the only one representative market share shop

17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. When Intel had no competition, they still released new products, they just did very incremental tweaks here and there and kept the same price (or even brought it up a little bit). AMD drops their prices rather prematurely, so if they weren't planning on releasing anything until 2021, they're actually hurting their profits even more.
    Besides... they released the 64-core Threadripper mostly as a "because we can" statement. AMD is not above kicking Intel while they're down, so... why stop now?

AMD isn't done fixing their reputation, and only now are they actually outshining Intel in just about every regard. Letting Intel catch up isn't a smart idea. On the other hand, now that they realize they have to support older chipsets, taking their time to make this a more polished release would do them some huge favors.

Well, Intel used to. AMD is still a corporation where profits are important to them, so it's fair to assume they'd do the same.

18. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    Do not underestimate greed. Companies, regardless of public image, will always take a dump on the good will they've built up if it means profits and they believe most people won't know or care.

A lot of the responses I saw to AMD's giga-douchebag move of cutting B450/X470 support was "THIS IS FINE AND IF YOU DISAGREE YOU ARE DUMB AND DON'T UNDERSTAND MOBO BUSINESS". They'll get away with a lot more greed than this, even though they are turning into Intel.

Jim Keller was not twiddling his thumbs during his time at Intel, they're going to have a strong response, and when they do we can stop having 2 Intels and go back to a more normal AMD.

Venix and EspHack like this.
  19. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    There are also so many products coming between september and december that does not make sense to make more noise: RDNA2, new consoles, new geforces.

20. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Believing rumours without questioning their source or probability of being fake, is really bad for your heart.
    Even if they're true, would you rather: have AMD lunch new overpriced CPUs (because no competition) or wait 1 year and lunch something competitive that you'd buy?
    I don't get it: my 2600 plays any game I throw at it and I could just upgrade to 3700X (or 3950X for those in need of productivity) if needed, why be so angry you have to poop rant this forum thread all over?
    You guys need to chill and look at what Intel has been doing for the past 10 years.

Loophole35 and Luc like this.