Running a 10980XE at 100c 24/7

Discussion in 'Die-hard Overclocking & Case Modifications' started by IceVip, Jun 16, 2020.

1. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Finally got a 1200w platinum psu, my good ol 600w corsair shuts off if i use the gpu and cpu both at 100% at the same time haha. Gotta hand it to corsair, the pc just shuts off and doesn't wanna take down anything with it permanently so i guess i had luck there.

Anyways from time to time i render in 3DS Max with V-Ray some Interiors for a company and I'd like those renders to be done asap, no matter the powerbill. However, after i got the PSU i tried to push the cpu, see where it lands. Currently I'm using a TT Riing 240mm AIO and i pulled off 4.6 pretty easy.

4.6Ghz with 1,095v at 101C. From what i gather from internet reviews the chip will throttle itself
    back if it reaches 109c. That's all fine and dandy, but i didn't find anything about it running constantly
    at 100c. I feel like the AIO might fail before anything else does tbh. But I've never actually had Intel before, so i don't know what i can do and what i can't. I already ran v-ray for 24 hours straight at 100c. Its fine for now, question is what will happen if i keep doing it?

P,S for those wondering how tf the chip is running stable at 1,095v, its a golden sample. From what I know about it, it can pull of 5ghz at 1.25v

2. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Why did you not buy AMD's offering that was $300 cheaper? It outperformed the cpu you have in many ways. As for getting a golden sample this thing is running at 101 degrees Celsius for crying out loud! I hear you about the 5 GHz off of 1.25v but geezus.

Undying likes this.
  3. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    300$ cheaper, 30c colder and similar performance 3950x sais hello.

You can always cook some eggs on it while rendering amd cant do that tho.

4. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Ugh there's always someone going off topic with this bullcrap.
    Does it really matter why i did what i did? Discussing it will lead to what exactly? Please
    do tell, what exactly do you expect from this convo? For me to admit what a horrible
    mistake I've made and promise ill buy AMD next time? I'm sorry but I was on AMD my
    whole life, change is not something bad ill tell you that. I've played around with a 3950x
    system, and mine feels snappier in every single way. So yeah i'd rather spend more and
    get more. Overclocking the cpu puts it way ahead and time is money. Not all
    of us buy these parts just to overclock them and play benchmarks.

Got the chip for 1000 euro with a rampage vi apex motherboard, if i were to do the same
    with the 3950x, it ends up at the same price. Welcome to 3rd world countries. If i run the cpu at stock its at 75c and its just as fast. Not sure what the hell is wrong with everyone. I was an amd fanboy my whole life but damn.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020

5. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Mate, calm down and go get your 6 months worth of usage before it dies

Tyson likes this.
  6. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    Real helpful, thanks.

7. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You can see the patern here. People find it unacceptable and from your tone you also seem to question your decision. You have 2 cores more and needed a hefty overclock to actually win against 3950x. Dont to mention you need a chiller to cool that thing. Running stock performance is not as good as you said.

8. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    And instead of being normal about it you gotta go ahead and mock. I don't question my decision at all trust me.
    V-ray performance which is what i'm interested in is the same when both are at stock. At the company we got a 3950x and rendering the same scene is 1 second +/-.
    Even Hilbert's review on the cpu shows them being the same.
    [​IMG]

But that doesn't matter because I don't plan on running it at stock. Its just a simple question.
    the 7980 tjunction was at 105, 9980 was at 105, 10980xe is at 109. If it reaches that, it starts
    throttling down, but what happens if it never reaches it and always stays around 100 continuously.

I don't get what all the fuss is about. I love amd, always have. I know the 3950x is great.
    But i didn't come here to get judged based on decisions i consciously made, given the
    circumstances nobody accounts for. If the 3950x was a better choice for my current situation
    trust me i would've never switched to intel. My last build was a ryzen...

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    The throttle is ment for if the temperature is there for just a brief moment. If you are continuously running at that temperature you really are pushing way outside the limits.
    If it is something that will break, its either CPU or the Motherboard, not the cooler.

Dragam1337 likes this.
  10. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    I remember back in 2013 when i had reference r9 290x, that ran at 94c constantly hitting its thermal limit, and it lasted up until i blew it up with a projector in 2017. I wonder if 94c is
    acceptable for gpus(the PCB handled it like a champ), If i dial the clock back a bit and get it to 89-91c, would that be more
    realistic.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2020

11. IceVip

IceVip Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Liquid X
    One thing i didn't mention is the way vray works. It lets the cpu chill for brief moments.

For example if an image takes 5 minutes to render. every time it gets rendered, the space
    between it and the next one has gaps in it that let the cpu chill.

~5 seconds before irradiance map calculations begin
    then after 10 seconds of calculating the map
    ~5 seconds more before the global illumination calculations begin
    So its basically a constant load that has little gaps in it, thought its worth mentioning,
    even tho looking at it at a second glance it probably wouldn't matter even if the gaps
    were more than 5 seconds because after that its straight 5 minutes(or more) of hell.(which loops constantly 24/7)

12. MaCk0y

MaCk0y Maha Guru

GPU:
    4090 ICHILL BLACK
    I wouldn't run it at 100C constantly. Where is the AIO located in the Phanteks? And radiator fans are intake or exhaust?

P.S. Please don't stop making awesome trailers!

13. mbk1969

mbk1969 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GF RTX 4070
    Have you enabled SpeedShift in BIOS?
    Latest Win10 builds can recognise that and use CPPC v2 interface to utilise so called favoured CPU cores.

I did that for my i9-9820X and I saw in stress tests that several cores were using max turbo boost max technology frequency 3.0 = 4.2 GHz, while others were using max turbo frequency = 4.1 GHz.
    Btw, in those stress tests temps were not exceeding 62C with air cooler. I understand that i9-9820X is half of your CPU, but ain`t 100C is a bit high?

PS
    According to specs of 10980XE:
    Max Turbo Frequency = 4.60 GHz
    Intel® Turbo Boost Max Technology 3.0 Frequency = 4.80 GHz

So your CPU should hit 4.6 GHz without any troubles, and favoured cores should hit 4.8 GHz without any troubles.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
  14. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Amazing that the chip hasn't died yet...

Knowingly running a chip 24/7 at 100+ Celsius might just be the dumbest thing i have ever heard.

If a cpu hits anywhere near 100c during a stress test, stop it immidiately, and either lower the overclock, or improve the cooling... or both.

CPC_RedDawn, Undying and Passus like this.
  15. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    My recommendation for you will be to buy a much better cooling solution , eg. make a proper custom h2o set up with at least a 360-480 radiator , heatkiller block and d5 pump. The chip won't last long or will degrade at a really fast pace if you keep punishing like that , something it's going to give , be it the cpu or motherboard , 100C + you do know already it's not good for it. Now you know what you have to do ;) , put out that fire on your pc bro.

I have run my 9980xe for extended period of times at 87c~89c and that's oc with 1.20v on a big custom water loop 480 Rad + d5 to cool the beast , i do not like to see 90c+ on my 9980xe cpu let alone 100c+ as it will punish every single component of that vrm and the socket on the mobo with that huge amount of heat coming out of it that radiates thru the whole socket and close components.

IceVip and BetA like this.

16. BetA

BetA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    G1-GTX980@1400Mhz
    well, HOT DAMN....

Alphacool just released THIS Monster here... That should handle this CPU..

Alphacool NexXxoS XT45 Full Copper 1260mm SuperNova Radiator

https://www.alphacool.com/shop/radi...full-copper-1260mm-supernova-radiator?c=20542

Technical data:
    L x W x H: 441 x 422 x 48 mm
    Net weight: 4225 g
    Material cooling fins: copper
    Material cooling channels: copper
    Prechamber material: copper
    Material outer housing: steel
    Fins per Inch: 12
    Threads: 3 x G1/4“
    Thread size fan mounting: M3
    Fan size: 140 mm front / 200 mm back
    Fan slots: 9 front / 4 back
    Pressure tested: 0,8 bar

[​IMG]

What a Monster Radiator..

Jokes aside, with that Temps, your Hardware wont last long, like stated several times before..
    So only 2 choices here, Underclock and undervolt, or just get some good (better) cooling.. Theres nothing more you can do..

17. jura11

jura11 Guest

GPU:
    RTX 3090 NvLink
    Hi there

I would start with getting better case with better fans, swapping just that can lower your overall temperatures

Assume you are using using CPU with GPU in V-RAY?

Assume you are using V-RAY Next or are you using V-RAY 5?

Did you consider just switching to Corona Renderer?

Its probably lot better than V-RAY in my opinion although now owners of V-RAY (Chaos Group) are owners of Corona Renderer, just one thing Corona Renderer doesn't support GPU rendering, only CPU

I done several tests in V-RAY Next or V-RAY 5 like with CPU and GPUs, temperatures on GPUs after 24/7 render are in 36-38°C on GTX1080Ti and GTX1080's and on RTX 2080Ti Strix there I'm seeing 40-42°C after 24/7 render, CPU temperatures are in 68-75°C max with 4.7GHz OC

Personally I would probably go route of Noctua NH-D15 which should do job as well with cooling such CPU or something like Deepcool Assassin or Thermalright CPU coolers, I have run my 5960X with 4.7GHz OC with Noctua NH-D15 and no issues,temperatures have been quite good in 70-80's during the rendering,there has been only one spike to 82C during the denoise process,during the rendering temperatures been under 80's

But as above guys suggested get proper watercooling gear,at the end it will be worth it this investment if you do rendering for living

Hope this helps

Thanks,jura

18. The most objective comment I can make is that in this instance someone did not mock you, gave you GREAT advice. Hell a staff member for that matter & all you did was basically ignore their wisdom & deflect. Please please please understand that while the majority of us can fix many things including the problems with your setup; we can not fix your attitude. Only you can.

+1

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Because you were foolish and bought a cpu that your cooling solution is not capable of handling, and you're foolish in invalidating your warranty by running the processor with insufficient cooling.

That the thread name suggests your intent to maintain this fact is again, foolish.

Trifecta of yikes.

20. Tyson

Tyson Guest

GPU:
    Beats the 10980XE @ 3Ghz ? OC Headroom something AMD doesn't have as they sorta come as fast as they can come.