Assassin's Creed Odyssey

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Netherwind, Jun 11, 2018.

1. cerebus23

cerebus23 Guest

GPU:
    evga 8800gts
    why they invented xp booster cheats.

or u could give ubi $$ for one.

2. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Actually i think the game could be finished in 20hours if you just keep pushing through the main story missions. But yeah you would lack resources to level up quickly enough so fights would eventually get very hard - but then playing on easy might do the trick.

I started the game with the 'exploration' game mode on and sometimes didnt even know where to go for the next mission. Like in the beginning of the quest 'Snake in the grass' where it just says 'Elpenor is still somewhere in Phokis'. Good luck finding that guy.

3. b0uncyfr0

b0uncyfr0 Master Guru

GPU:
    Gaming XXX 1070
    So i picked this up and i gotta say the gpu utilisation is still somewhat bad. With Vsync on, i'm dropping to 50 fps with 75% gpu utilisation. Cmon Ubisoft.

I have extra power, bloody use it. Vsync off or no seems to make no difference, and forcing the gpu too much results in much lower frames - im kinda stuck on this.

4. Martigen

Martigen Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080Ti SLI
    Known problem, you need to use this:

https://github.com/Kaldaien/SpecialK/releases/tag/sk_odyssey

You can also try DXVK (may have been covered in this thread already):

https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

There are many reports saying this raises AC:O's average FPS considerably.
    EDIT: It's a .tar.gz archive, use 7-zip or any other archiver that supports tar.gz, and drop the x64 .dlls into the .exe directory.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    That bottleneck situation should work better on a NVIDIA GPU though but the utilization of driver command lists and deferred render contexts which I've forgotten a fair bit about how it worked but in short the game really wants a 8-core processor ideally something more recent and thus faster/more efficient.
    (AMD in turn works against a I believe it was compared to be a near 40% performance deficit against NVIDIA because their cards don't support D3D11.1 driver command lists although Radeon VII and the Navi 5700 struggle on pretty well, brute force all the problems!)

Even so though and with a SSD and high-end RAM (Removing those bottlenecks.) odyssey just has a TON of draw calls and CPU bottlenecks way above the recommended for DirectX 11 so it's unfortunate Ubisoft never patched in D3D12 or Vulkan API support.
    Origins hits this primarily in Alexandria whereas the asset density and additions like the cloud quality setting for volumetric lights pushes most hardware to it's limits.
    (For the cloud quality setting last I checked a comparison the high setting was close to a 40% performance decrease alone and ultra close to 60%)

In short the game is just very demanding and pushes DirectX 11 above it's intended limits I'll have to look it up but I think the draw calls the game is pushing were way above the intended D3D11 limits so that's going to hamper things and not just for the bigger cities in this game.

EDIT: Well should work better or be less required is just a expectation I suppose as there are cases where DXVK also improves NVIDIA GPU performance or at least stabilizes fluctuations and resulting framerate drops even if the max performance might be a bit lower.
    Different games and game engines and different demands or at worst different issues or bottlenecks to get around or limit as much as possible. :)

6. Kolt

Kolt Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080 OC
    I'm at 130+ hours and finished the main campaign but the "Fate of Atlantis: Episode 1" just started and now I'm in a whole new world. Does this game ever end? haha.

I'm still really enjoying the game. It grabbed me a lot more than I thought it would. Looking all over for those cultists was a great addition to the series.

7. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    Unfortunately, DXVK doesn't do much with AC Odyssey, unlike in Origins.
    I actually have fewer fps with DXVK in this game than with DX11.

8. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    mine just shot up 30 frames from sub 60 to 85-90 using dxvk

i had to turn off afterburner as the game crashed if the osd was showing but without it there are a few stutters but 99% maintains locked 60fps

stutters cause 2 or 3 fps to drop then back again

9. alanm

alanm Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4080
    4k benches
    1ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY.jpg
    2ASSASSIN'S CREED ODYSSEY.jpg

10. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    AC Origins question (not Odyssey but possibly related). Is this game CPU hungry or just a hot mess? Vram?

I only just started playing this game (forgot I had it). Fresh install from Uplay (latest updates, I presume). I can't get a very good frame-rate, but even worse, once in awhile, the game will just essentially freeze altogether, the last time it dropped to maybe 1FPS, I could barely move the mouse to exit the game. Before that, the previous time this occurred, the game dipped to 1-3FPS for about 5 seconds before returning to "normal" 45-55 (average). I think I had a handful of 1 second or shorter lag spikes.

I'm using almost the lowest possible settings but honestly, the lowest and highest settings don't change the frame-rate that much. Averages about 45-55 on low, 38-45 on ultra. The benchmark seems to indicate the settings make it easier on the CPU but GPU unchanged. GPU too weak? 8gb vram too small perhaps?
    @3440x1440 via DP. (144hz - freesync 2)
    4790K(stock) / 16GB / 5700XT

I knew 1440p ultrawide would sting and I am probably buying a new flagship card this year (and a new rig overall) but I'm still a bit puzzled why this game just grinds to a complete halt with a reasonably good PC.

11. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Yeah it's a very CPU intensive game. On my 5820K rig I was getting ~70-80% GPU usage @1440p, after getting a 3900X the usage popped in the mid to high 90s. All this on the same OCed 1080Ti. But what I noticed immediately was that the game felt a LOT smoother on the new platform, even if the FPS increase was not that dramatic, I used to have a lot of slowdowns and stuttering on the 5820K. I guess the game really likes the extra cores.

12. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090

Odd you say that, I've done Origins twice. On different machines, Its very CPU heavy but on the most recent install it has the same as you.

Can run around find then pauses, then fine and then pauses again over and over.

13. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    That's pretty much it. And that's even on a 2080TI. Just out of curiosity, are you also using a quad core? It seems like this game wants 6 or more cores. Like Solfaur above mentions, it seems the people with Ryzens aren't seeing these same freezes. Some mention specifically seeing improvements after upgrading. That's what reading around the web about this anecdotally indicates.

I shut down a few background apps and it has helped tremendously. Some useless MSI Gaming app (not afterburner) and I turned off Uplay (lol). I played for 30 minutes with no freezing. That seems to (meekly) confirm it wants more CPU. That upcoming 3800XT is looking enticing. Or a 10700K. Something.

14. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    You can try using the DXVulkan wrapper,, doubled my frames but still those damn pauses

so its game engine problem not dx or drivers

15. Memorian

Memorian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    Let's hope the next AC uses Vulkan to fix these issues.

16. TaskMaster

TaskMaster Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC Trinity 4080
    I have a i9 9900k and never experienced these pauses, do maybe the game does want more than 4 CPU's. Kinda crazy really, but yes - lets hope the next one uses Vulkan.

I have high hopes for the next one. I find that part of history very interesting.

17. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    Same here, loved the direction they too with both Origins and Odyssey (even though I agree with the crowd that it's not really "AC" anymore) and as a fan of the Dark Ages / Vikings' history all the premises for Valhalla are very good indeed. However, I don't know if I will get it at launch, like I did with Odyssey or wait a year for all the DLC to pop out and bugs/optimization ironed out (AND the lower price), like I did with Origins...

18. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Forgive the ignorance but does this benefit windows users at all? I saw it was more Wine related?

19. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    It does indeed work on windows but there are some bugs so just try and see i guess

20. Grimbarian

Grimbarian Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    Thanks, just drop the dlls in the same folder as ACOdyssey.exe? and something should magical will happen?