PS5 SSD Is 'Far Ahead' of High-End PCs, Epic Games CEO Says [IGN]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2020.

1. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    The Ratchet & Clank demo holy crap, those jumping from world to world was so impressive !

They placed empty portal area inbetween transition, it's nontheless impressive, looks really cool.

Darren Hodgson, Archvile82 and Carfax like this.
  2. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Brute is one of the most idiotic terms ever. PC hardware progression is not brute force, and without it there would be no consoles and games. Every game is created on PC, so PC is superior platform and it will always be. And again, PC is not closed system so it can't be compared to the consoles.
    If i have better PC hardware compared to the consoles, and some console port works bad, that's the problem with optimization, not with overhead or API. I can name you many examples of this.
    On the other side some console ports work excellent even with more advanced graphics - aka proper optimization.

3. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Maybe this is a interesting read.

https://www.anandtech.com/show/15848/storage-matters-xbox-ps5-new-era-of-gaming

AsiJu likes this.
  4. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Not sure what you mean by this comment. In the context of this discussion, speed = performance. Performance is clock speed x IPC. Intel's Core 2 series had significantly higher IPC than the P4 and Athlon CPUs, hence why it was faster.

5. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I'm pretty sure English isn't your first language, so you probably don't know that the word "brute" is often used as a synonym for "raw." And in this particular context, raw means innate.

Now if you want to continue to debate the vagaries of the English language with me, by all means go ahead, but do so in the off topic forum.

I'm not just talking about consoles, but about PC gaming in general. A good example of this is the original Crysis. Because it used DX9/DX10, all of the rendering was done on a single thread which meant achieving high framerates was very difficult even with powerful GPUs that were up to the task. And while DX11 improved that particular problem, it wasn't until DX12 and Vulkan that it was completely addressed.

Consoles don't have issues with high level APIs because they are a closed system that is focused exclusively on gaming.

6. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    I agree, the Ratchet and Clank demo was the most impressive demo out of all of them in terms of displaying what the PS5 is capable of! Here's some extended footage:

Darren Hodgson and XenthorX like this.
  7. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Don't worry about my English.
    The term "brute" use people who don't know what they talk about. This term was first time used way back then in war between Nvidia and AMD. Or was it ATI?

No, back then Cryengine was designed for the single thread, and all the other games/engines. This was the time when CPUs with more cores were just started, and as always it takes time for software to catch up.
    The same problem have all STALKER games also.
    But when we talk about Cryengine, things have changed with Cryengine 3 a lot. I have played Crysis 3 and Crysis 2 on the same machine, and performance were identical even though Crysis 3 has way better graphics. This is not problem with overhead and API, it's better optimization.
    I have worked with all 3 major commercial engines, and i know their performance differences which are huge. But things have started to change, especially with UE. Also, developers are forced to squeeze everything from the consoles because it's closed system. With a PC centric game you don't have this problem, and you can implement some features for which you need better hardware which is not available at the moment.
    But PC exclusives do not exist anymore, there's no revolution in graphics, so even with older hardware you can play games in 60+ fps.

8. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Perhaps but your original comment and the one that I was quoting was

So what you actually meant is Brute performance is synonymous with more powerful hardware, a rhetorical statement then?

9. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090

what i think is happening is that those portal you see while running are other worlds/maps loaded by 30~50% when you pick that world the cpu will work full force to pull the rest of the world in a matter of 2~3 seconds thanx to the ssd read speeds , you can spot hiccups before and after the player enter the portal

10. Darren Hodgson

Darren Hodgson Ancient Guru

GPU:
    NVIDIA RTX 4080 FE
    Yeah, that Ratchet and Clank PS5 demo would be difficult to do on PC because developers cannot assume every PC gamer has a super fast NVMe SSD in their system. And even if they did and released it only for such systems then sales would suffer. This is one, if not THE biggest advantages of having a fixed platform to work on.

It’s a shame though that both consoles will have pitifully small amounts of storage. A 1 TB drive does not cut it for me as someone who typically plays lots of games and likes to have them all installed for an instant on-tap gaming library (looks lovingly at my PC with 13 TBs of storage and 1,000+ game installs!).

11. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Not necessarily. If a PC has enough system memory and VRAM, it could pull that off without the use of a NVMe SSD. There would likely be stutters though for sure, but it really depends on how the engine is programmed to deal with streaming. That's the main reason why games still load and stream so slow despite the fact that SSDs have been around for a long time now. All the 3D engines are still fundamentally programmed to assume the player is using a HDD as storage.

That said, an SSD will soon become a requirement for certain games on PC. That's the beneficial effect that the consoles have on PC gaming. They will finally move us past the HDD gridlock in engine development.

12. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    There's been riots near my house as a local store was selling ps4s at 95$. They had to call the cops, people slept in front of the store last night.

ramthegamer and cerebus23 like this.
  13. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Epic just released the tech specifics for their UE5 demo, and as many thought, the streaming can easily be done on a PCIe 3.0 gen SSD.

Streaming pool for the demo was 768 MB/s, with a resolution of 1440p. CPU usage was very low, which shows that the entire demo was very GPU bound.

[​IMG]

Nanite performance:

[​IMG]

CPU usage:

[​IMG]

Source:

angelgraves13 likes this.
  14. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So consoles have finally moved from HDD to SSD.. Wow, the end of the world! PS5 will control Skynet! Welcome to the present.

angelgraves13 likes this.