PS5 SSD Is 'Far Ahead' of High-End PCs, Epic Games CEO Says [IGN]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2020.

1. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Just think about it. PS5's SSD raw/uncompressed transfer rate of 5.5 GB/s. There is no way in hell that the SSD is going to be able to immediately access a game's data for rendering, A.I and gameplay fast enough in a given area, much less for the entire game. The CPU and GPU can't use the SSD to render or process from, because it's too slow; particularly when it comes to latency. Bandwidth is one thing, and latency is another. DRAM is hundreds of thousands of times faster (measured in ns) than an SSD (measured in ms) when it comes to latency.

As for the how:

1) Massive multicore CPUs. We already have up to 16 core CPUs for mainstream parts using the Zen2 core. Future Intel and AMD CPUs will have even more cores and be more powerful.

2) DDR5. DDR5 will have twice the capacity DIMMs as DDR4, plus much greater bandwidth.

3) PCIe 16x bridge between VRAM and system memory. With PCIe 5.0, that's 128GB/s of bidirectional transfer and with PCIe 4.0, it's 64GB/s. Either way, it's far faster than the PS5's SSD from both a bandwidth and latency perspective.

4) Huge VRAM buffers solely for the GPU. Nuff said!

5) Faster SSDs. I think PCIe 4.0 x4 will top out at 8GB/s, while PCIe 5.0 x4 will be 16GB/s.

5) Predictive algorithms. Obviously this isn't just a hardware issue. Lower level APIs like Vulkan and DX12 makes it possible to have much more intelligent streaming algorithms. For a PC that uses disparate memory pools, this can really improve the overall efficiency and speed of the streaming.

6) Volume tiled resources. As more games use this technique, you can expect less pop in, faster streaming and more efficient use of VRAM. Current examples of this off the top of my head are Gears 4 and Gears 5, both of which had no noticeable pop in and performed excellently on PC with moderate VRAM usage.

2. I doubt Epic, Tim Sweeney & Sony all just spent the last few years wasting their time and money working on this to have it fail because of the SSD lol I mean, seriously all the negativity or just assuming none of these engineers knew what they built is just bizarre to me.

3. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    It's obvious why sony are pushing their ssd as the GOAT... their console is inferior to the xbox series x in every other way... so ofc they only talk about the only thing where they actually have an advantage.

4. AsiJu

AsiJu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 4070Ti EXG.v2
    Surely they knew - and know exactly what they have - but advertising a 9 GB/s SSD is as good as 10 ... 50 times faster VRAM is... questionable.

For reference how often is PC gaming performance dictated by storage speed?
    Rarely if ever I dare say, CPU, GPU and RAM come first.

PS5 might well have the best consumer grade storage solution but that implies only, well, that.

Besides wasn't the PS4 and later Pro hyperboled as making PC gaming obsolete.
    Well, (kind of) 4K at (almost) 30 fps surely didn't render PCs obsolete...

Case can be made that if you only game and don't own a PC readily then a console makes more sense as an investment and that is true I think.

Just as well case can be made if you have a PC and are comfortable upgrading it every now and then, you needn't invest in any console.

5. XenthorX

XenthorX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4090 Suprim X
    I was wondering, have any console ever used AIO/water cooling yet ?

6. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    If that were the case they would be talking about the thing that actually sells consoles, first party exclusives and if next gen is anything like this one Sony has that tied up.

Perhaps but most of your examples are doing what the LTT video said he did, comparing speed and using that as the defining factor when it seems that what they are claiming is something different.

No why use a costly more complicated cooling solution that isn't really needed when you can stick a far far cheaper HS and fan on the hardware instead?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
    XenthorX likes this.
  7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Until/unless we see something like the UE5 tech demo and get to see it running on the PS5 and then a PC with a SSD it all just feels like speculation.

I just re read the article and he doesn't actually tell us anything.
    Would the tech demo not be possible on a high end PC or the even the Xbox.
    Would it need lower texture settings?
    Would it run at a lower framerate?

I would imagine the answer to all three of those questions would be no, particularly since it was 1440/30 so what are the benefits this SSD brings?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  8. Party Poison

Party Poison Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4090
    Keep in mind the linus vid is a Sony paid video, hence the paid links in the description.

Also consumers hate huge game sizes. Surely to have the game data be readily available and be accessed as quick as proposed
    game size will continue to get beginner as it needs all files unpacked ready to go?

or am I mistaken?

XenthorX likes this.
  9. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    oh for the love of god... right the hardware stuff is nonsense, I am going firmly back to games sell systems who cares about the underlying hardware? If it does something truly amazing, great I'll get too see that when or if I buy a PS5 but I won't be buying it because of the 'fantastic hardware', I'll be buying it because of the games.

serbicu likes this.
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it didn't appear to have any sponsor

MerolaC likes this.

11. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Those "paid links" are the Amazon links that have a small kickback to them. It can be dildos for all they care.
    Just in this case, they used PS crap to promote such link.
    Has nothing to do with Playstation or Sony as their sponsor.

12. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Well brute speed definitely matters. How do you think the PC has remained the strongest gaming platform year after year, despite crippling handicaps like high level APIs and a complex OS running in the background with all manner of services? By having an overwhelming advantage in raw performance.

The same people that hyped the PS4 to oblivion and compared it to a "supercharged PC" are the same people that are hyping the PS5's I/O tech to oblivion.

13. kx11

kx11 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    so they didn't talk about SSD effect on those games and never mentioned Backward compatibility ? Nice !!!

14. apoklyps3

apoklyps3 Guest

GPU:
    STRIX-GTX1070-8G-GA
    How could they? It was all a lie

15. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    There's nothing brute here.
    PC has remained the strongest gaming platform year after year by releasing better hardware, which is normal progression. You can't compare PC with closed systems like consoles in any way. This thread is pointless and ridiculous, just as Tim Sweeny nonsense he talks.

How much really is the API and OS problem. Or is it bad porting, optimization.

16. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    They mentioned upfront it was gonna be game reveals only. So its not really a surprise.

17. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Or it was a games presentation and they shockingly did this thing called showing the games. You know EXACTLY the thing they said it was going to be up front.

18. Carfax

Carfax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac 4090 Extreme
    Brute speed is synonymous with more powerful hardware.

Of course I can. Consoles have their advantages and disadvantages, and so do PCs.

Why are you in it then? I'm sure you can show yourself out the front door.

High level APIs have historically been a huge problem on the PC platform, specifically for high CPU and driver overhead, plus the inability to utilize some of the GPU's features that require low level programming. Only with superior hardware was this mitigated. If it weren't for that, then the PC would be an inferior platform for gaming compared to the consoles.

19. The Laughing Ma

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    The Core 2 Duo would like to suggest otherwise. A great example of speed not being the winner.