Samsung optimizes New QLED TVs for gaming with Adaptive Sync and HDMI 2.1

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Jun 11, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness likes this.
  2. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    Eh when it comes to phones I will trust Samsung but as for tvs they have so many versions of tvs compared to not even 10 years ago and it has lowered the quality overall of their tv products in my opinion. It is nice that they are trying to cater more to the gamers out there but if I am going to throw real money at a tv I will be doing it by buying Sony. I just helped pick out a tv that would also make an awesome monitor even at 49". Also as for QLED eh nothing special. If these companies could make OLED more assuredly safe from burn in then I would be excited more about tvs.

MegaFalloutFan likes this.
  3. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    Oleds can’t be made safe from burnin, and gaming or computers are likely the worst scenarios for getting burnin, its why Oled is inferior for this. What will come is the micro-led, which will be pretty much what you ask for :)

DeViLzzz likes this.
  4. Toss3

Toss3 Guest

GPU:
    WC Inno3D GTX 980 TI
    OLED burn in really isn't that big of an issue => plenty of tests show that you would have to leave it on for 24 hours a day at peak brightness to get any form of permanent burn in. Think people confuse image retention with burn in when it comes to OLEDs. The issue with using current OLED TVs as displays isn't just about burn-in though, but about the subpixels used; the current LG panels use RGBW subpixels, meaning they have less subpixels than regular displays. This leads to fonts not looking sharp etc and at 3840x2160 at 48 inches that isn't good enough. It would work great as a secondary screen though for gaming/movies.

PrMinisterGR and MegaFalloutFan like this.

5. Spartas

Spartas Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 2080 Ti
    So.. with the implementation of FreeSync Premium, how will the NVIDIA G-SYNC compatibility be on RTX cards now? will there still be issues with tearing on the RTX 2080 ti in games with G-SYNC enabled? I think so. LG CX remains the best choice for gaming on NVIDIA cards at least IMO.

Has it been confirmed that the 3080 and variants will have HDMI 2.1 yet? I would hope so.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Planning to get myself this model - but I don't think it has 2.1 HDMI. Anyone knows perhaps?

7. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    No.

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    What's really annoying about all of this, is e-tailers are quite deceptive with regards to the HDMI cables they sell and whether they are or, are not; 2.1

Try it. Try going to an e-tailer and run a search on HDMI 2.1 Cables and see just how many supposed cables it lists actually are 2.1.

The main problem is that the 2.0b specification does allow for 7680 × 4320 BUT it is only for 30 frames a second, with a groutesque 4:2:0 (barely YouTube quality), it does NOT do HDR10 and it most certainly does not do Auto Low Latency Mode and 'taps out' at 60 fps, with a gimped 4:2:2 pallete.

You want 144fps, ALLM, HDR, 4KUHD? 2.0b is NOT gonna cut it, yet e-tailers will list 2.0b is being perfectly fine for this.

Sorry for the rant, but it's such a simple thing for etailers to get right, yet; they get wrong and try to deceive you.

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Great points there, same thing here - go to e-tailer and good luck finding a proper 2.1 cable. You will have a mush of all kinds of offers.

Loobyluggs likes this.
  10. Mda400

Mda400 Maha Guru

GPU:
    4070Ti 3GHz/24GHz
    At least now there is official branding for what is considered an HDMI 2.1 cable.

Ultra High-Speed - HDMI 2.1

Premium High-Speed - HDMI 2.0

Will never forget best buy trying to sell grandma 70$ monster HDMI cables over the 17$ dynex cables.

cryohellinc likes this.

11. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Yeah Samsung can go on. They only make one of the four inputs 2.1 the rest are 2.0b and i thing the one tied to ARC is not the 2.1.

rdmetz likes this.
  12. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    If you look for 2.1 HDMI cable ,they will be found.

$30 USD 5M/16.5Ft this is the cable I use on my LG OLED's .Not a single problem for the right price. Of course there is going to be a choice in cables to select from. If you do not know ask someone.

Anyway it is good that Samsung is making TV with Adaptive Sync ,Freesync Premium and 2.1 HDMI, this is not a problem at all.

Comparison picture with previous HDMI cable 2.0b

HDMI 2.1.jpg

13. craycray

craycray Member Guru

GPU:
    3080 Gaming X Trio
    They are horrible for gaming as Samsung turns off local dimming in gaming mode and everything becomes gray. Check out Vincent Teohs gaming review on Q90r vs LGC9

14. h9dlb

h9dlb Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3070
    Equivalent LG OLED TVs are still 33% cheaper than the Samsung models (eg 55inch LG C9 is £1200 v Samsung Q90T £1800)

DeViLzzz and MegaFalloutFan like this.
  15. dcGColts

dcGColts New Member

GPU:
    Gigabyte 2080 GamOC
    Equivalent would be LG CX, equivalent to c9 is Q90R

16. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    C9 still available and they better then any qled, so its equivalent if you can buy one

rdmetz likes this.
  17. DeViLzzz

DeViLzzz Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 5700 XT
    I know what image retention is as I own a 51" Samsung 1080p 3D tv from many moons ago and well it can be made to go away every time that is for sure but with OLED even the big box stores were telling me that burn in was a thing but it was going to be addressed with 2019 and on models. Until I see proof of burn in not happening it is a no buy. Also price factor is an issue too. : )

18. Camaxide

Camaxide Active Member

GPU:
    MSI 1080 Ti Gaming X SLI
    9 ms is indeed low input lag for a tv, but still 3x what a good monitor has. how come they are not able to reach the levels of a monitor? They are doing the same exact thing (or should anyway when in gamemode).

19. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx

On amazon there's good cable's like this one : https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B07ZRVBMY9/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB