FPS changes by driver version CS GO

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by tipiloulou, Jun 10, 2020.

Tags:
  1. tipiloulou

tipiloulou Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700
    Hello guys, I figured out something really weird.

I wanted to play cs go after quite some time, so I start the game and I see that my fps are really low compared to what I had in the past (same configuration).

I tried to search on internet why I has so little fps but I did not found anything.

I tried to uninstall the driver I had (20.x.x) to the old one I used when I played cs go (19.9.2)

And here is what I found :
    [​IMG]
    I have almost 80 fps on this Dust2 spot on the 20.5.1 driver version (all 20.x.x are almost same fps)

And on the other hand :
    [​IMG]
    I have more than 200fps on the 19.9.2 driver version.

Anyone has an explanation for this ?

I also did a clean install of these driver without changing anything (no oc)

My config is :
    Win 10 1909
    RX 5700
    16gb 3200mhz
    Ryzen 2600 oc 4.2

2. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Does anyone have a explanation for this? yea its simple, the older drivers are faster than the newer ones. That's pretty much the bottom line, use the fastest and most stable driver and be happy! I'm using 2019 drivers for my card and tested other games using the newest ones, always lower fps with the newer ones compared to the older ones.

I need to try out CSGO soon and see how it runs myself testing 2019 vs 2020 drivers.

3. tipiloulou

tipiloulou Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700
    This should not be normal, updates are meant to upgrade the gaming experience not downgrade it. Amd needs to do something about all those drivers problems.

4. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Actually it is kinda normal. I remember when i was using Nvidia cards, when the GeForce 337.50's came out, they were faster than any of the newer drivers that shown up and by a pretty good % too.
    Sometimes newer drivers may be good and add new features, but sometimes older drivers will be much faster, so give it time and the newer drivers will be just as fast or faster.
    I think after a while, the 20 series of amd drivers will be faster. And i guess for some , maybe it is, depending on your setup/gpu, etc.

I'm going to test out CSGO , with the 2019 driver I'm using vs the 20.4.1 drivers. The 20.5.1 has a nasty slow down bug when you enable performance overlay, so that's why i avoid doing anymore testing with that driver.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    CSGO_Dust2_Spot_A.jpg
    Btw. I have disabled Steam Overlay via registry in path:
    Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers

Property (FilePath):
    C:\<PAth_To_Your_Steam>\GameOverlayUI.exe

Value (String - w/o quotation marks):
    "~ RUNASINVOKER"
    - - - -

Then I repeated my kindness with AMD's Overlay by:
    Visiting path:
    C:\Program Files\AMD\CNext\CNext

And renaming following files, so they would not be loaded (W/o underscore as that's how I name them since I want them to be on top of sorting in case of need for reversal. And I do not want them to have general exe naming convention.):
    _amdow.exe_
    _AMDRSServ.exe_

Last edited: Jun 10, 2020
  6. Max

Max Member

GPU:
    R9 390X
    Something wrong on your side tipiloulou
    [​IMG]
    I have nearly the same fps with a much lower config than yours
    Everything on high btw 8x msaa
    2700k 4.5 1600ddr3 390x 20.5.1
    Maybe you should try to install win 2004 with some new wddm 2.7 features to avoid this problem

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    I didn't expect this thread to get the traction that it got but I do have a concern.
    You are showing us that you are getting more FPS with a lower GPU frequency or clock rate then at a higher one. That's not a typical situation I've seen.
    Which leads me to believe you are having issues with your PC. That could be heat related and throttling. Or some sort of tweaks, etc you did to either win10, bios or both that is contributing to your situation.

In either case I would suggest that you:
    A. Clean out all the dust bunnies from your PC case and make sure it's well ventilated. Make sure that temps of your CPU aren't contributing to any radiant heat that might be lingering in the case.

If that doesn't work:
    B. Download and reinstall Win10 with the bios set to defaults with standard clock rate of your CPU 1st.

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  8. tipiloulou

tipiloulou Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700
    Do you know that the gpu clock rate is changing every second depending on what the game is asking for ?
    [​IMG]
    (I did some alt tab, this isn't representative of the gaming session)
    My cpu temps are correct (under 70 degree celcius) and I doubt really hard that the oc is causing all this crap.

Everything is well ventilated, I'm going to do a clean win 2004 install to see if that fixes the problem.

9. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    No, no not like that. The clock rate will generally tell you the fps. Lower = lower FPS. Higher = higher fps. You should boost up to 1725Mhz or so. But should show FPS just as high as with 19.9.2 which had the OSD issues with showing the correct fps/clock rate, etc.

But here is another thought. Try using Intelligent Standby List Cleaner and clean the standby list before you start a match and see if that helps recover FPS. IE: Alt-tab to desktop before match start to use the cleaner.
    https://www.wagnardsoft.com/content/intelligent-standby-list-cleaner-v1000-released

10. TheDukeSD

TheDukeSD Guest

GPU:
    MSI GT 1030 2GH OC
    That's not a typical situation if you are using the exactly same driver and you haven't really change something that is loaded in the memory.

If a driver bug (newer driver can easily interfer with another driver/application loaded in the memory and things to just not play well between them, still a bug because it shouldn't happen) happens to exist in newer driver that crippels your performance by 50% (can be a bug that happens with only a particular gpu core model and the rest are not affected) then +10% gpu core clock won't do much cause u'll still be considerable bellow older drivers in terms of fps.

AMD doesn't really look to test for regressions. They are not even capable to keep the fixes in the next drivers (the fix code is totaly gone in some cases; and than you have some joke rep writing on AMD official forum saying that the problem is fixed in driver ab.c when starting from ab.(c+1) the damn fix is totaly gone from the drivers because the fix code only showed up in ab.c and never ever since then).
    I consider that the code I write is not really clean and nice, but what I've see in AMD drivers makes the code that I write look like a marvel, and trust me if Linus Torvalds will ever see parts of my code he will call it pure trash (in best case assuming he is in a really good day).
    (Yes reverse engineering, laws don't allow me to share the code... From my point of view AMD basicaly has to start from 0 with the drivers to get something properly done.)

And yes I've seen some antiviruses that weren't playing well at all with a fresh OS (downloaded from microsoft) + only the drivers installed for some reasons. Second attempt with a new fresh OS ended up in same situation, as soon as the av was uninstalled things went back to normal and other av worked just fine.

Don't get me wrong I just don't have the time to debug every single crap that happens. Even if I do it there will be problems fixing it (because to do it I supposed to break several laws) and an update for that software will probably force me to rebuild the fix .
    I'd rather just move away from such a case and find a solution that is better from the point of view of time used to fix it.

11. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    [​IMG]

Regardless of how you want to defend him I, as well as others who already posted, cannot replicate his issue.
    Therefore, pardon me if I disagree that it's a "driver issue" if I'm not experiencing the same problem.

However, I still stand by, pardon the pun, my suggestion to use ISLC (as well as other suggestions).

MyEinsamkeit likes this.
  12. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Just an update i did after some testing CSGO,, using the 19.Q.4.1 drivers vs the 20.5.1 drivers. Upload a video on my channel. Read the description.

tipiloulou Seems like somethign is wrong on your end, I'm getting over 200 fps alot of the times. The 19 version drivers are slightly faster. I have everything on stock settings(GPU is default OC). My advice, uninstall, use the AMD driver uninstall app in safe mode, and install the 20.5.1 drivers again, and don't do the factory reset, i don't.

Attached Files:

13. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

Technically,
    Nvidia/AMD will update their drivers for new features or optimizations for new games (mutual agreement between game development company and hardware technology rendering)....

[​IMG] ROI (Return Over Investment/ Shares) = MONEY

Regarding CS GO......i do not think it is a "PRIORITY" with driver optimization....:)

14. tipiloulou

tipiloulou Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700
    Ok guys my problem is resolved, idk why but when my 2nd monitor is active (nothing on it but my windows desktop) in the 20.x.x version I have very low fps on cs go.
    When I disable that screen it goes back to my original numbers (200fps+).

Thanks anyway.

15. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X

16. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
  17. tipiloulou

tipiloulou Guest

GPU:
    RX 5700
  18. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Then it is time to move to Windows 10 2004 for you.

19. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    Honestly after moving to 2004, i absolutely see no difference in gaming performance. None. Not saying we shouldn't update, sure its fun its something, but i don't see any difference. 20.5.1 drivers vs the older 19 versions are much faster, despite WDDM 2.7, no difference. The drivers makes a big difference and "as of right now", any 19 version drivers are much faster than the 20's, overall in gaming.

Hopefully they improved on it in the future drivers.

Use the driver that works the best. I'm re-testing 20.4.1 , I'm still getting less performance vs the 19 ones. So just use the ones that work the best for you, i am.
    Cheers.

20. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    As he connected his problem to monitor setup, it is W10 2004 which does have heavy rework to display handling.