NVIDIA INSIDER Preview Driver [450.99][Standard]

Discussion in 'Videocards - NVIDIA GeForce Drivers Section' started by Astyanax, May 20, 2020.

1. Dan Longman

Dan Longman Master Guru

GPU:
    4080 FE
    So yesterday I did a completely fresh install of 2004 after windows installed 432, I did a clean install of 446.14 and I have not had a single crash or BSO, I haven't tried 450.99 as 446.14 seem to working really great for me. I will get WDDM 2.7 when they release the gameready sometime in June.

I still am not sure what was causing my BSODs when I upgraded to 2004 from 1909 but just glad they are gone now after a fresh install.

2. AMDMan2016

AMDMan2016 Active Member

GPU:
    Geforce 1660 Super
    Will my Geforce GTX 1050 support Hardware scheduling part of WDDM 2.7 when Game Ready Drivers out? Upgrading soon as i can to Geforce 1660 Super to go with my Intel I7 7700 Desktop, didn't wanna go too high on video card, just in case of a bottleneck problem, so decided on the Geforce 1660 Super that might pair well with this system

3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

not supported on maxwell.

its 100% HAGS caused.

toyo likes this.
  4. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    Yes i know but if i roll back the temps come back to its normal state wich is 58 to 62 top. Mybe some cpu instruction like avx or avx 2 are being used in a more hard way.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    AVX2 has no benefit to driver code, using it at all would invoke the wrath of overclockers that specify the avx ratio.

There is some AVX usage in the driver, but its very limited in what instructions get used, but in many places in the driver where it has any benefit.

6. norton

norton Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX970 G1 Gaming
    why ? what's the requirement on the hardware level? maxwell support wddm 2.7 and shader model 6.5

7. windrunnerxj

windrunnerxj Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4060
    Yeah I got a crash yesterday as well on 450.99 and clean 2004 install.
    Not 100% sure if it's driver related or something else triggered it, since games and everything else worked fine for a few days, but I did have HAGS enabled. So I disabled it for now and see if I get another crash.

8. endbase

endbase Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX4070 OC
    I did have multiple BSOD and crashes on windows 2004 with all kind of drivers no worries windows will always be beta ;)

9. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
  10. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    HAGS has been present since atleast 445 insider driver, i can't attest to 440, i only remember that having nvidia sharpening beta.

toyo and Dro1d01 like this.

11. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Especially when you're actually using a preview (beta) version.

HARDRESET likes this.
  12. Mistajista

Mistajista Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    It was made available to the public via Windows update (optionally) on the 27th of May. Surely it can't be classed as beta once it's left the Insider rings.

13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Did test with a bit more, the refurbished edition of Mafia 3 stutters slightly with this driver, some games also hang for a while when alt tabbing with this set, plus it NZXT CAM software can't read the GPU load with it.
    So went back to current WHQL to have a more stable experience across all games and apps.
    Going to run some 3DMark for a comparison between the two now.
    446.16 yields more fps overall, interesting part though is that 450.99 gets 1.4% more fps with the Physics test @4K, could be a coincident though since I only ran 3 tests of each, could also be HAGS thou?
    Tests with everything @stock btw.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    elite69 likes this.
  14. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Getting some freezes in Metro Exodus with this driver (and HAGS), in the Caspian area, DX11 or DX12. No crash. No TDR. Just frozen. First time this happens. Have to kill the game. Nothing in Event Viewer to correspond.
    Really weird. Gonna try turning off HAGS and seeing if it happens again, if it does, I guess I'll be off to the stable driver until I finish the game.

15. elite69

elite69 Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA rtx 2060 6gb
    Yes i have the mafia 3 gog edition and it runus like crap and ddvil may cry 5 also abit slower so crysis 3. And my cpu temps are abit hoter than usualy i wil probably rol back but lets see

16. PittyH

PittyH Member

GPU:
    2080ti
    Just a quick question - Long time lurker here, lost my old account.

Why the hell is HDR on windows 10 so borked?
    I mean a HDR switch? really? also the fact that HDR gets disabled from overlays, volume controls.
    The fact that windows 10 color profile is SD? and switches to HDR and back...why?
    Potplayer/MadVR - fullscreen exclusive issues.
    4:2:0, 4:2:2 and 4:4:4 vs RGB, can't we just decide on a standard going forward?
    It's the same with G-sync and VRR, can't stuff just work without all this fiddling?
    Using a C9 with a 2080ti, nothing but fiddling around for different content.

Microsoft and Nvidia need to go back to the drawing board and redesign HDR on windows properly from the ground up.

Anyway after installing Windows May update and 450.99 clean i get a mouse overlay square in chrome youtube when watching 4K60 HDR content now. something to do with mouse overlay/shadow/trails conflicting with HDR.. stuffed if i know. seems like a rare old reported problem, seems like the only solution is to reinstall windows :(

This is the exact problem i am having, posted by someone else https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fHs7DlKR40wdbV-qYNtWgyUvDum7Xm12/view

17. janos666

janos666 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX3080 10Gb
    That's a known issue of the last few 450.xx drivers, also happens in borderless fullscreen mode (once it switches to flip mode).
    Blame display manufacturers and the HDMI Forum because chroma subsampling (4:2:2 and 4:2:0) is basically a legacy cheap workaround for insufficient bandwidth (TV manufacturers continued to insist on HDMI only and HDMI standards failed to increase the bandwidth or at least offer better compression alternatives in time).

It sort-of does for many games now with Ultra applying an auto fps cap for G-Sync+V-Sync. For the rest, the only thing you need is to set the limiter slider to 117fps (or 58 in case you play some games in 2160p60 instead of 1440p120).

Pretty much everything is in place in Win10 and/or NVAPI (and AGS on the red side) but not all application developers truely understand the problem and thus they don't use the best possible practices to make it as convenient as possible.
    But the switching won't go away unless you are willing to sacrifice some quality and performance (which implies extra power draw). The aim should be the full automation of the switching (e.g. games offering in-game HDR settings to auto-toggle the Win10 switch as some do already --- madVR can continue using NVAPI for almost seamless switching...).
    I don't think that would fix anything. Roll back to a stable driver, then wait for Win10 CUs and Chrome updates (and a stable WDDM 2.7 driver from nV).

artina90 likes this.
  18. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    My general experience with Windows 10 HDR improved once I plugged my GPU directly on the TV, bypassing any AVR. It's still crap, and needing the switch is really inexplicable, unless it matters so much for borderless applications, in which case it should turn on per app.
    This doesn't happen to me.
    I have no issues with MPC-BE x64 and MadVR. Either I have HDR on or off. My real issue with it is that when playback is paused and the screen turns off (eventually), resuming playback crashes, and I still haven't figured out why. You should have vsync disabled from the player and MadVR side to avoid issues btw. The video will still not tear.

Although YCbCR is being badmouthed, it's not that bad and it has its uses. The main use is giving enough color accuracy despite HDMI bandwidth limitations. If you set your GPU to YCbCr 4:2:2, 12bit, Limited from the GPU control panel, and set your TV/monitor to Limited, then you'll get the best possible image quality (if you don't care about text as much).

I use a C9 too. Look above, no other fiddling is required. Set it to 4:2:2, 12bit, Limited, set the TV to "Game Console" (don't have the PC icon or name the computer input "PC"), and enable Gsync. That's it. Nothing will need to be fiddled after that, SDR and HDR switching should be seamless.

19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    that happens for anyone using windows hdr.

20. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    NZXT CAM overlay would count as such?
    Doesn't disable HDR on my end.

Regarding the YouTube issue, I would recommend you to use the latest WHQL or an older driver, noticed a different issue when viewing YouTube videos with 450.99 on Edge Chromium, when the mouse cursor is down in the video control area it puts a thin line in approximate center of the video, 446.14 does not have that issue.
    Keep in mind that 450.99 is considered Beta ;)