AMD Radeon Adrenalin Edition 20.5.1 driver download & Discussion

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 27, 2020.

1. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    So is anyone else getting slow down performance when turning on performance overlay ?
    i went back to the old drivers, but wanted to see who else is having that issue.

2. SpajdrEX

SpajdrEX Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gainward RTX 4070
    This is a known issue being investigated and hopefully fixed soon.

MyEinsamkeit likes this.
  3. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    I had the TDR mentioned on the notes.
    But, other than that, been a good driver.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Clearly, and good luck tracking it down.

5. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Quite simple to in actual fact.

Download sysinternals NotMyFault,
    bind to a macro key
    reproduce the issue
    press the macro key

system will crash, make its kernel dump file and reboot and that can be sent on over to the folks at sysnative forums for analysis.

What it sounds like is another case of AMD enabling new video decoding methods that navi "should" support but might be busted in the chip.

like that time nvidia released geforce 6 with broken purevideo

cryohellinc likes this.
  6. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Sounds interesting, will give it a go.
    And most likely you are right there, what is odd to me that others didn't have that issue. At least on our small "local" scale. Need to check Gigabyte forums, if anyone has the same issue - it will be there.

7. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I'm not sure if i should snerk there or just agree cool like.

8. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310

I don't think there's much doubt about that.
    There's reports from months back about the state of Navi and VCN having VP9 playback support but losing something like 2/3rds of all frames over said playback or worse particularly for the supposed support of 4k media or higher.
    (Ehh what was it 2000 dropped frames of 3000 total or something.)

Video hardware accelerated playback in browsers has been rocky since launch and a few drivers even went with disabling hardware acceleration though it's now back and so are reports about software like Discord and browsers like Chrome hitting driver crashes.

AMD's ReLive has gone since the start of Adrenalin 2020 with multiple problem reports and little response from AMD, think there's one poster from the Reddit community who sent almost daily issue reports on some of these problems but while he got responses from NVIDIA he never got anything from AMD nor were the issues ever resolved. (Going by Crosire and the ReShade VLK AMD issue and workaround it's much the same there, initial response about acknowledging the issue and then completely silent despite more inquiries and the issue is still there.)

Recording problems, stuttering and issues with the overlay itself and it's problematic quality compared to third party software like OBS and maybe a plugin or two but I think the main AMD one ended up being dropped also from issues surrounding well I think it was communication but I would need to look up the specifics again.

Navi also has VCN 2.0 but no details on what that changed and the supported feature list is identical to VCN 1.0
    GCN up to Vega use VCE at whatever version that would be 4.0 or 5.0 but effectively similar but lacking VP9 hardware decoding capabilities and no 4k support I think? (Might just be VP9 4k though.)

Media Player Classic added some other driver workaround a short while ago and Chromium and Firefox probably have their own workarounds too, unsure on the Linux driver situation though a few issues like the problematic mouse cursor responsiveness is also found there with it's own workaround so there's issues here too.

Unsure on what the 5600's and 5500's have in terms of silicon improvements I recall seeing and hearing a few examples on what had been changed but it's nothing major, possibly another thing the refresh could update but probably more likely to be overhauled for Navi 20 like for example Video Core Next 3.0 instead.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  9. patteSatan

patteSatan Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX 6700xt
    What files should I rename in this driver, to not have all the bloatsoftware?

Strange Times likes this.
  10. Strange Times

Strange Times Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6600 XT
    same as usual just delete cnext folder in program files/amd right after install

patteSatan likes this.

11. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    wth???

FIFA 20 on all previous drivers 220~fps

20.5.1 118 fps with 20 percent gpu usage

slower on timespy too

12. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Same here then i used update assistant and after installed the drivers (without internet) no issues so far.

GamerBoyManuel16 likes this.
  13. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I've just installed the driver upgrading from 20.4.2 and got Error 207 :( i've got it working by uninstalling the old driver before and now it's working without problems for the past hours
    but on windows 1909 :D

14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    After 2004 update 20.5.1 install went smooth for me but didnt test games or run any benchmark yet. Tuning is the only thing that bothers me becouse amd still didnt fix wattman and its profiles to work normaly.

15. Passus

Passus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 4070 Gaming X
    Hmm so problem with fifa is low clocks, it wont budge past 800mhz and if i force clocks it doesnt make a difference to frames

gonna try a factory reset but by heck why the downgrade in perf again :(

16. GamerBoyManuel16

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Btw u just downloaded the installer for 2004 with the media creation tool and did the upgrade manually ?

I haven't played anything either, just watched yt & netflix (using the new edge) without any problems yet (even it's mentioned in the changelog)

17. ninja750

ninja750 Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 REF
    we have to install this drivers before or after the 2004 update?

18. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Used an update assistant from their site. Then it saw there is an update available on 1909.

GamerBoyManuel16 likes this.
  19. GamerBoyManuel16

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    I'll check later today ^^

Undying likes this.
  20. PrEzi

PrEzi Master Guru

GPU:
    XFX MERC310 7900XTX
    I installed the driver on 1909 and then did an upgrade. Works without any issues atm.
    Have not noticed any Black Screens yet, but on the other hand I was using the Workstation a little bit less yesterday.