Win10 2004: WDDM 2.7 Support

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Eastcoasthandle, Feb 26, 2020.

1. SAMI

SAMI Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    From the looks of it, it still doesn't allow us to disable the vsync on window mode games, right?

I hate the vsync in window mode. It just prevents tearing but doesn't sync the framerate with the refresh rat. As a result it ends up stuttering randomly. On top of that it has floaty laggy feel to inputs.

2. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

Strange Times likes this.
  3. Yxskaft

Yxskaft Maha Guru

GPU:
    GTX Titan Sli
    And we still don't even know what scenarios the hardware accelerated GPU scheduling actually will benefit, aside from the vague description of "Reduce latency and improve performance" when being able to check the option within Win10 2004.

I had missed this but at least Microsoft has published an official summary of WDDM 2.7 now.
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/wi...w-for-windows-10-display-and-graphics-drivers
    Whereas the previous assumptions floating around seems to have been put together from the various articles on the DirectX blog.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
    Alessio1989 likes this.
  4. Dro1d01

Dro1d01 Member

GPU:
    AD107
    Slightly reduce CPU overhead, GPU driver overhead, APIs overhead.
    Slightly reduce CPU usage.
    Improve input lag.
    Some software algorithms, which were usually executed in <OS - graphic driver> now are now executed on the side GPU hardware and direct to graphics layers.

bobalazs, eGGroLLiO and OnnA like this.

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    I still want to see a reference source claiming al this that is not a social media or a "tech site". GPU schedulers are more specialized and less general purpose than some people think. The only thing I could image some improvements is moving some pre-WDDM 2.0 APIs (e.g.: DirectX 11 graphics) runtime tasks related to memory management to GPU driver to increase parallelism, but honestly I do not know how much a linked list management could improve performance if moved from a runtime thread to a GPU driver thread outside specific bottlenecks scenarios (e.g.: resources overcommitment).

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  6. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Microsoft were supposed to have a blog post up when it released.

7. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
  8. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
  9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    it apparently still misreports mesh shaders as unsupported on Turing/450 drivers.

10. bobalazs

bobalazs Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 4Gb
    That is also a DWM issue, but we are but a minority to demand solutions from MS to that.

SAMI likes this.

11. SAMI

SAMI Guest

GPU:
    GTX 980 Ti
    Yeah it sucks. So we can't even get properly vsynced smooth performance, neither can we get responsive latency for the DWM. And unfortunately many people dont notice the lag or stuttering. So RIP.

By the way, does freesync on window mode get rid of the input lag? Can freesync bypass the DWM?

12. bobalazs

bobalazs Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 4Gb
    By the way, does freesync on window mode get rid of the input lag? Can freesync bypass the DWM?[/QUOTE]
    Freesync can work with vsync on as itis a form of variable sync. It works both windowed and fullscreen mode afaik.

13. bobalazs

bobalazs Guest

GPU:
    RX 480 4Gb
  14. biosdweller

biosdweller Member

GPU:
    Rx 580 8gb
    from wikipedia :
    • Hardware-accelerated GPU scheduling: an additional option in the system settings, which increases the minimum and average fps to reduce latency, requires a minimum version of shader model 6.3 in hardware from the video card. nVidia GeForce has support since the 10th series or later, but AMD Radeon only with the RX 5000th series, Intel removed support in the final drivers.
    • is this true? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Display_Driver_Model#WDDM_2.9

15. MerolaC

MerolaC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AsRock RX 6700XT
    Damn it, that's is probably correct.
    No love for the VEGA, I guess :(

16. biosdweller

biosdweller Member

GPU:
    Rx 580 8gb
    nah i don't think so, afaik not even the 5000 series support hw scheduler rn. imo amd is dropping support for older cards way too fast.. it's making me angry.

17. zheega

zheega Active Member

GPU:
    RX6800XT
    No, no AMD cards support GPU scheduling at the moment. Or, no AMD drivers support it, to be more precise.

18. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
  19. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Bull.

20. Chastity

Chastity Ancient Guru

GPU: