Download: Radeon Software Adrenalin 2020 Edition 20.4.2 drivers

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon Drivers Section' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, Apr 23, 2020.

1. MyEinsamkeit

MyEinsamkeit Master Guru

GPU:
    Radeon Pro VII 16GB
    My New RX 580 8OC gpu runs nice with these drivers, no problems with no games. Just played Doom eternal nightmare max settings 50-60fps

2. Eastcoasthandle

Eastcoasthandle Guest

GPU:
    Nitro 5700 XT
    Did anyone catch the may 25th 20.4.2 drivers? Dated for release today, May 26th?

3. Jumy

Jumy Member

GPU:
    9700pro to 5900xt
    you can find in amd site for 25May (WHQL?) but avoid this a big step for amd driver, +1 log service
    [​IMG]
    amdlog.inf
    ;
    ; Copyright (c) 2019 AMD
    ;

[Version]
    Signature="$WINDOWS NT$"
    Class=System
    ClassGuid={4D36E97D-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
    Provider=%AMD%

DriverVer=04/29/2020, 20.10.0.0022

CatalogFile=amdlog.cat

[DestinationDirs]
    Drivers_Dir = 12
    Utility_Dir = 11

[SourceDisksNames.x86]
    1 = %DISK_NAME%,,,""

[SourceDisksNames.amd64]
    1 = %DISK_NAME%,,,""

[SourceDisksFiles]
    amdlog.sys = 1,,
    amdlogsr.exe = 1,,

[ControlFlags]
    ExcludeFromSelect=*

[Manufacturer]
    %AMD%=AMDLOG_KM,NTAMD64

[DeviceInstall32]
    ADDDevice = ROOT\AMDLOG\0000,,AMDLOG_RootDevices_Inst

[AMDLOG_RootDevices_Inst]
    HardwareIds = ROOT\AMDLOG

[AMDLOG_KM.NTAMD64]
    %AMDLOG_Desc%=AMDLOG_INSTALL, ROOT\AMDLOG

[AMDLOG_INSTALL]
    CopyFiles=Drivers_Dir, Utility_Dir

[Drivers_Dir]
    amdlog.sys,,,2

[Utility_Dir]
    amdlogsr.exe,,,0x00004000

[AMDLOG_INSTALL.Services]
    AddService = amdlog,0x00000802,amdlog_ServiceInstallSection
    AddService = AMD Log Utility, 0x00000000, amdlogsr_Generic_Service_Inst, amdlogsr_EventLog_Inst

[amdlog_ServiceInstallSection]
    DisplayName = %AMDLOG_svcdesc%
    ServiceType = %SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER%
    StartType = %SERVICE_BOOT_START%
    ErrorControl = %SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL%
    ServiceBinary = %12%\amdlog.sys

[amdlogsr_EventLog_Inst]
    ;AddReg=amdlogsr_EventLog_AddReg

[amdlogsr_Generic_Service_Inst]
    ServiceType = 0x10
    StartType = 2
    ErrorControl = 1
    ServiceBinary = %11%\amdlogsr.exe
    LoadOrderGroup = Event log

[Strings]
    AMD = "AMD"
    AMDLOG_Desc = "AMD LOG"
    SystemClassName = "System devices"
    AMDLOG_svcdesc = "AMD LOG Utility Driver"
    DISK_NAME = "AMD LOG Install Disk"
    SPSVCINST_ASSOCSERVICE = 0x00000002
    SERVICE_KERNEL_DRIVER = 1
    SERVICE_BOOT_START = 0
    SERVICE_AUTO_START = 2
    SERVICE_DEMAND_START = 3
    SERVICE_ERROR_NORMAL = 1
    Thanks AMD for your hard WORK

For Manual install and avoid this service:
    Delete "amdlog" folder
    Open "C0352311.inf" and "U0355311.inf"
    Delete all line "CopyINF = .\amdlog\amdlog.inf"
    :mad:

ps. in my five tests both DDU and AMDCleanupUtility do not remove this service....

Last edited: May 27, 2020
  4. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV

5. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It should just be digitally signed but that new service is definitively a interesting addition, guessing they're upping logging and data collection depending on what that does with the existing data reporting options and utilities already in Radeon Settings, User Experience and the drivers themselves.

Should be easy enough to tap that down from auto to manual or outright disable it without affecting functionality any but it's another addition without user configuration or opt-in being the default.

EDIT: Well not digitally signed they're all that but an additional WHQL signature on top of the existing one from AMD.

EDIT: Speaking of AMD User Experience it got updated it seems.

From 1950.29.27.421 to 1950.29.27.515

EDIT: Driver date has also changed from April 21st to May 15th and if I'm reading it right there's just one builds difference which makes sense as the driver is just WHQL'd over the prior 20.4.2 driver.

26.20.15029.27016 to 26.20.15029.27017

EDIT: Bunch of Navi Mobile and OEM entries in the INF and the addition of the AMD log driver.
    Nothing too exciting there.
    (5300 to the 5700 in various devices and for the log just a whole lot of additions of CopyINF = .\amdlog\amdlog.inf for this little enhancement.)

OnnA likes this.
  6. OnnA

OnnA Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TiTan RTX Ampere UV
    Installed (WHQL) and played some Games, everything seems fine.
    No need to revert back to 20.3.1 :D

Note:
    If someone have problems with -Profiles not saved-:
    Please run CNext as Admin (we're still in windows 10), it should save then NP.

7. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    Maybe use dynamic scaling to smooth things out? It works very well with AMD cards, better than on Nvidia for some reason (not sure why that is tbh). Drivers seem quite good overall but still having to use afterburner for voltage control because of reset issue with driver. Also with doom eternal exiting the game with hdr on causes the desktop colour to appear over saturated. This used to happen on Nvidia too, hopefully it can be sorted in future driver. The map at least displays correctly, no dark problem.

8. Jhin Bardo

Jhin Bardo New Member

GPU:
    5700 XT
    PrEzi, LocoDiceGR, Passus and 2 others like this.
  9. Krteq

Krteq Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI RTX 3080 WC
    Nice find

10. A.F

A.F Guest

GPU:
    RX5700 XT
    I have really regretted that I have bought the RX5700 XT. Black screen and stutters are happening on a frequent base.

And trying to install this new driver, only results in Windows start crashing.

I have tried to use DDU to remove the old driver, and install the new. I have tried just to update normally, without removing the old driver files, but the same result.

https://ibb.co/HYwrt3w

Next time I'm in the market for a new GPU, it ain't gonna be a Radeon, that's for sure.

11. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Sounds like faulty card or issues with other components.

12. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Hard to say though, post 20.2.2 things have been mostly stable here but the 19.8.x and sporadically after 20.x the GPU was not very stable even for desktop idle usage and there's multiple open issues where stability is still a problem.
    Hardware accelerated web browsers, media playback and software using embedded browser tech like QT or CEF, one of the 20.4.2 WHQL posts on Reddit had to disable it for Discord and there's workarounds for Media Player Classic and it's codec and I'm not sure how things are with MadVR or other modes of video hardware playback.

Multi monitor is also very hit & miss from what I am reading and then there's issues with PCI Express 4.0 on earlier motherboard models plus the connectivity and sensitivity for the card itself from HDMI or DP to the PCI Express or power connectors and a very high sensitivity to memory stability.

Some of this can be tested though without too much problem and part of it might be more on the other components but it still factors in when none of this happens on NVIDIA cards or earlier AMD ones although the amount of outstanding issues for Radeon VII, Vega or even Polaris is still too high.

EDIT: D3D wise some titles are also very prone to driver crashes or black screens although DXVK works and seem to indicate the lower level API code in the drivers at least works well enough plus the wonky performance but that's separate from the stability issues.

RMA can help too though as some users did resolve GPU stability problems by sending back the card so at least some amount of hardware has whatever faults there could be and not just high-load poorly fitted cooling issues resulting in thermal throttling or crashing from just overheating some component. (Some of them are pretty durable though, that amount of heat would be pretty concerning if it goes that badly with poor or faulty cooling on the card.)

EDIT: Then there's sleep mode or hibernation but that's a longer standing issues that also interferes with Radeon Settings or at least Wattman and thinking the card crashed and reverting to default.
    Inability to hold profile settings particularly the fan or voltage can also be a issue but more for the VII than the Navi from what I'm getting. (Unsure on Vega and Polaris here, elevated memory clocks have been a problem and then the lower states on Vega being affected by instability in some drivers as well which might not be entirely fixed.)

The card can work just fine and is great when it does but then there's a number of open issues and unresolved unknowns on why some things happen either performance or stability wise and it's all a mess trying to find what works and what doesn't.

Troubleshooting can be complicated overall on PC but there's so many different results and factors so you basically start with the most likely such as reverting to stock RAM settings to testing that and then moving to say trying different power cable connections from the PSU (And possibly skipping on using those splitter things if at all possible.) and then motherboard settings, registry adjustments or some of the OS functionality and more.

In my case the newer drivers mostly worked, D3D9 and D3D11 can be finicky but stability is 99% there now although performance can be a issue although DXVK mostly resolves the worst framerate drops though it might be trading off a lowered maximum in turn.
    (Or it could just be a net gain it's all kinda weird how this works or doesn't work when it goes bad.)

Not the greatest at explaining, tried a lot of things until the February drivers really turned things around and well it seemed to be mostly a driver issue from that result but could still be something with the hardware only very infrequent or other remaining hard to replicate driver issues with the software other than the more commonly discussed and known open issues that goes from mostly resolved to open and a bit back and forth for whatever reason.
    (Though a lot has also been fixed fully but not everything.)

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  13. JonasBeckman

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    Curious about the VRAM and it's memory controller too, timing tweaks and the 19.7.x driver instability with memory overclocking fixed somewhat in 19.8.x but generally seen a more unstable driver set until 19.9.3 or even 19.12.1 just before Adrenaline 2020
    But that's just speculative, Hynix and Samsung GDDR6 with various specs and timings though running at the same stock speeds and then some of the 5600's used lower speeds which AMD has then boosted through bios updates back to about the same as the 5700 speeds but not guaranteed as I recall it.

So that's a possible source of some of the instability but it's hard to say for sure and the error correction and control on the chip makes it tougher to test, most you might see is a performance decrease from even a mild overclock and then sudden issues or crashes depending on what's going on with the usual binning and variance so some overclock pretty well whether Samsung or Hynix and others not much at all.

Going to be very interesting to see how things fare for the Navi10 refresh cards if they have further changes or revisions to stuff like the GDDR6 or GPU chips or other components and some probably undocumented fixes and general tweaks but that's entirely speculative until these are on the market and can be tested and compared to see if there's more than a higher max speed here.

EDIT: And then being a display driver it's a complicated very complex set of software with code all the way back for D3D9 or before and support for hardware nearing a decade almost in age and a massive amount of profiles and specific settings and all sorts of other things.

Lots of questions and just more guesswork and estimates, hopefully the newer drivers will start closing these issues down properly though. :)

LocoDiceGR likes this.
  14. A.F

A.F Guest

GPU:
    RX5700 XT
    It's a possible explenation, but I find it unlikely, as there have been no problems updating drivers before this version.

15. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Have you tried downgrading to older versions? Sometimes driver updates may expose hidden hardware failures, once i had situation like this with hdmi cable, it wasn't giving image on new drivers but on older was working fine, replaced cable with new one, image was working on all driver versions.

I'm waiting for enterprise trial updated iso to show up, at the moment 1909 is still available. The wait is even more tense as i just received new drive for my OS and i would prefer to do 2004 clean install on a new drive :)

16. A.F

A.F Guest

GPU:
    RX5700 XT
    Yes, when I downgrade to 2.4.2 (not WHQL) everything works as a charm....

17. spectatorx

spectatorx Guest

GPU:
    Radeon RX580 8GB
    Then imo it is a faulty card. RMA or if still in return window, return it.

18. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

RX 5700 XT is the worst card ive ever owned nothing but head aches ive tried every suggestion googled for days nothing helps

Strange Times likes this.
  19. LocoDiceGR

LocoDiceGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 3060 Ti
    My Friend with 5600 XT THICC & 20.3.1 have 0zero problems so far.

He also has a GOLD Psu...if that matters!

20. BlitzTown

BlitzTown Member Guru

I have a
    CORSAIR RMx Series RM850x CP-9020180-NA 850W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Full Modular Power Supply