PS5 SSD Is 'Far Ahead' of High-End PCs, Epic Games CEO Says [IGN]

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by Carfax, May 14, 2020.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Let's say that's the case. How expensive will this storage be? With how large the games are these days, they can't really afford to skimp on storage space. Do we actually know the official capacity of the PS5 storage?

EDIT: Ah, I see it's going to be 825gb. Eeeerm, that's like a handful of games. I guess that's alright.

2. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    2060 is well below the performance of the gpu the new consoles will get though - it will be on par with a 2080. But i do agree with you, and prefer pc for the same reason.

3. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    2000 usd PC is faster than the consoles. And once you build it, you are ok for next 7-8 years (until next gen) because now games are primarily designed for the consoles, which means graphically that all of them will be at the same level.
    This is what i did with this gen and previous, i have bought PC hardware that was a bit faster then the consoles, i was ok for years. I was able to play all the games without any problems, and i have had much better experience with games that are important to me (TW3 and KCD). These 2 games on PC work and look better, especially KCD. Not to mention mods, because you know PC is a tool also.

So this buzzword how you must change your PC hardware every year or two is absolute nonsense.
    And btw, you can forget about TFLOPS because it's not just hardware that is important. There is a software, an engine, and not every game is using the same engine and has the same optimization. In fact you have huge discrepancies here.

AsiJu and fantaskarsef like this.
  4. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    You wont be building a complete pc for 2000 usd that has better than a 8 core / 16 thread cpu, 2080 gpu level performance and 1 tb nvme ssd. You could MAYBE get on par, but certainly not better.

The 6 tflops gpu in the xbox one x roughly matches the 6 tflops amd 580 in performance... so no, you can't just "forget" about hardware performance. And even if we did just focus on software, the consoles run much more barebone than pc's, and with games optimized specifically for them, thus usually get more performance out of the hardware.

Passus likes this.

5. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I like this point here: You can upgrade a PC, but there isn't always the need for it. True, these days consoles usually have an additional bump to their performance some years down the road (like "Pro" models for playstation for instance), but then you upgrade along that. And imho, I'm not sure consoles have the advantages they used to have anymore, at least not all of them (driver updates come via OS, they still need to download games these days, games get released in a buggy state on consoles too).

And for the love of all living beings in the universe... I recently learned that you have to pay to play online with certain games (e.g. switch ofc, but also psn / xbox I was told...)... wtf? Is that true @ console players?

6. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    $1986.55 https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ByfYYH

12c/24t
    faster than RTX 2080 GPU
    1TB NVME

Didn't include monitor as you need a TV/monitor for the console too.

7. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Is the pre-owned retail market still a big thing? I don't know as I only recently got back into consoles and every single game played has been from GamePass or EA Access.

I've know people who inthe past played dozens of games a year, but ended up paying very little as they are traded in when the value was still high.

8. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    'murica only prices those.

In denmark the cheapest price for that 2080 super is 6163 dkk, or 901 usd.

https://www.edbpriser.dk/produkt/pny-xlr8-geforce-rtx-2080-super/

Same applies to the rest.

EDIT : but changing your part pick to pretty much any other country than 'murica, and the price is way above 2k usd... in uk the price for those parts would be 2624 usd... not as big a price hike as denmark gets, but still alot higher.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    fantaskarsef likes this.
  9. anxious_f0x

anxious_f0x Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS TUF RTX 4090
    You do have to pay to play online, but that subscription also gives you two free games a month plus discounts on the digital store front.

Personally i'll always have a PlayStation for the exclusive games that I love, then a PC for pretty much anything else.

Sony has done a bit more than just dump an off the shelf NVMe drive into the console is basically what Tim Sweeney is saying, and he's right, currently there isn't any PC NVMe drives that match those speeds on the market but they are coming. Even Sony said they'll be testing upcoming NVMe drives and certifying drives that are fast enough and can be used in the expanded storage slot.

Not really sure why people get so defensive about stuff like this.

boodikon and fantaskarsef like this.
  10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You asked for a rig for $2000. I gave you one.

In the UK, I would tweak it. I would go with a 3700x, still 8c/16t, different motherboard and hey, here we go, a 3700x with 3600mhz CL16 RAM, 1TB NVME drive, 2080 Super, nice case, good motherboard, nice peripherals for £1628. That's $2009 USD. https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/DDKCPn

I had to change some parts as that keyboard I picked in the US build was £200 over here in the UK, but still picked a corsair mechanical keyboard with Cherry MX switches, still have the G502 Hero mouse in there, you could easily save money there.

Prices in Denmark might be higher but you also earn a lot more and cost of living in general is higher.

EDIT: Here's a build from Denmark, 3700x, solid motherboard, 16gb of fast ram, 1TB NVME, 2080 Super, nice case, good PSU, 13843kr. Which is $2036 USD https://dk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2Y8WL2

Last edited: May 26, 2020

11. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Fair enough. Regardless, that's a 1500 usd premium you are paying for essentially the same performance in games vs the new consoles. Granted, some of it will be made up from games being 20-30% cheaper on pc and not having to pay for live services, but far from all of it... unless you buy an obscene amount of games xD Personally i buy maybe 5-10 games per year, so from an economic standpoint, it really wouldn't make sense for me to go with the pc.

Obviously im just playing the devils advocate here, as i'm obviously a pc gamer myself, and have no intention of changing that... but fact of the matter is that people who are looking to get a good gaming experience on the cheap are better off going with the new consoles, especially if you dont play that many games.

12. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    Good point about paying for online services, completely forgot about that... What's that a month on a PS4? Just checked, £50/year. Let's say it'll be the same on PS5, which I doubt. Over 4 years, that's £200. And yeah, if you only buy one game every other month, it's probably cheaper on PS5.

I'll be getting one on release for sure. But some fair points have been raised and once you buy a couple of games a month, on average, the PC isn't actually more expensive.

13. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    That depends on the pre-owned market being killed off by Covid19 though.

Last I checked PC games have no resale value.

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    No they don't, that's also a good point. But looking at my PS4 game collection, I have 4 discs sat here and about 40 games that I bought on PS Store. Can't sell those :(

Thing is, if you are a gamer who gets 1 or 2 games at a time, plays the hell out of them and then trades them back 2-3 weeks later, you won't spend that much on games. That's so not me though, more of a game assimilator haha.

15. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Ha, pretty much the same here, calmed down recently though.

Checked and some game stores have stopped dealing with pre-owned but I don't see it lasting.
    Ebay etc....now illegal. I'm sure lots of retailers would love that but seems very unlikely.

If your a MP gamer who wants to build a large collection, in the long run PC gaming would be cheaper.

If your a one and done SP gamer then console gaming is cheaper.

16. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    let s agree here on one thing, u will need a console if you play:
    1- racing games, i can never see my self playing Gran tourismo sport or dirt rally while sitting in front of a 27 inch monitor, it will never work for me.
    2- FIFA, u can never ever enjoy fifa on pc, at least that s my point , fifa is meant to be played in front of a 60 inch tv while relaxing on a sofa... add to that the player base, which is a lot more on the consoles.
    so i would say the console it not my primary need, but it is a way to play the games that are meant to be enjoyed while having the player base on them which is a lot more on consoles tbh

17. S.T.A.R.A.C.

S.T.A.R.A.C. Master Guru

GPU:
    HD 7970 3GB WindForce
    Yes i will. PC hardware prices always change, and as you know hardware always gets better.
    And i don't buy hardware just because there is something new. I buy it if i see some game that i like, and my current machine is not capable to play it properly.

This is not PC era anymore where we have had PC exclusives which graphically really pushed everything on higher level, and you were forced to change hardware every year or two.

18. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    I agree with you in the regards of many games simply play and look better on the big screen. That said, these days you can easily hook up a PC to a TV. Sometimes even via wireless display standard, and buying a proper controller for my PC was a revelation. Just saying, that argument alone isn't as bullet proof as I personally thought.

ramthegamer likes this.
  19. 0blivious

0blivious Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7800 XT / 5700 XT
    What are the new consoles expected to cost (and in relation to previous releases)?

I don't see how they're going to have all of this cutting edge, 4k gaming capable tech, and sell it at a price anyone wants to pay. I know they sold them at a loss in the past, but this seems absurd. I have no intention of buying one, just curious.

I am glad they are pushing the envelope though. It will help push PC games further too.

20. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    It will likely be subsidised via PS Plus, Xbox Game Pass, Live subscribers.

I'm not expecting them to make them super cheap like some have suggested, but affordable enough that they don't become a luxury item that a post covid world won't be able to afford.