Linus Torvalds moved towards AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 26, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra, Turanis and insp1re2600 like this.
  2. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    He gonna miss his smoke/coffee brakes during compile now...

Maddness, anticupidon, user1 and 2 others like this.
  3. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super
    That is a 2200€ CPU and I thought that 3950X was a bit hard to justify as it's a bit over 800€. I wonder what kind of cooling he went with? Those 32 cores will produce quite a bit heat... I have not been following, do compilers actually support 32 cores?

4. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Good one of the computer gods has turned to AMD. Now we just have to wait when Apple realises this too and makes the change from Intel.

anticupidon and vestibule like this.

5. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    If not, they will soon support 64 threads.
    As far as heat goes. Ryzen is great in this department, It clocks reasonably high while being power efficient. Problem is in last few hundreds MHz of achievable clock, where power draw sky-rockets.

vestibule likes this.
  6. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    I want the 3960X but i don't really need it, damn AMD for making such a great processors (can't wait for 4950X).

Turanis likes this.
  7. nevcairiel

nevcairiel Master Guru

GPU:
    Compilers are typically not multi-threaded at all, instead you gain parallelism by compiling several files at the same time, which is only limited by how many files there are in a given unit. And IO, eventually.

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Well they can start a thread per file to compile. Each source file has to become a obj, at least that part is as many thread as you want. Then linking and other things i have no idea.

9. Kaarme

Kaarme Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia 4070 FE
    If he notices it doesn't, he will probably recompile the compiler to make it support all of them. That being said, I don't see why it wouldn't support as much as is available.

10. Tat3

Tat3 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Ti Super

11. Glidefan

Glidefan Don Booze Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | 8600M GS
    Mmm i think they are pushing for custom ARM chips. They have been experimenting for years i think, and now their new entry level laptops will have their arm chip.

Not as simple when it comes to compilers, it's not the same as rendering because in rendering you have the data there waiting to be rendered.
    With a compiler doing its thing, it reads line by line and takes into account what came before it. So you can't have two threads working on the same file, as thread number two won't know what is going on before the line it is starting, as thread number one hasn't gotten there yet.

Perjantai likes this.
  12. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    They are already considering options. In 2018 they have said they want to move away from Intel towards their own designed chips, and in 2019 they were already testing notebooks with Ryzen mobile CPUs. Competition is good for business, opening up new possibilities, as always.

I wonder that Torvalds didn't even rant about Intel this time... but I know he doesn't like Intel's vulnerabilities either (I believe he dropped a comment in that regard last year).

Perjantai and Turanis like this.
  13. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    Compiling is ridiculously easy to parallelize. Back when I was in games we used this tool called Incredibuild, which was like distributed compiling. The whole team installed it, and when you compiled, it used every idle core on the network to compile the code. Typical full rebuild times were slashed to 1/20th the time.

But it's worth pointing out compilers don't use multiple threads, you just run multiple instances of the compiler and the build system assigns each copy a different file to work on. This means you can scale it from 4 cores to 100's of cores really easy. The limit is just disk IO and memory bandwidth.

schmidtbag and Kaarme like this.
  14. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Look at this beauty build,AMD TheadRipper 3970X on MSI Creator TRX40.

Compiling Linux kernel(Arch distro) in 24s.
    (Ooops Intel Core cpus)

anticupidon likes this.
  15. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Linus is very nitpicky and the kind of person to just make his own variations/adaptations when he doesn't like what he has to deal with (this is how Linux itself, as well as git, came to be). Ryzen isn't exactly known to be problem-free; I'm sure he stuck with Intel for so long because it's such a no-fuss platform. Ryzen today is probably stable enough where he feels it is safe to use, but, he's still probably going to find gripes. This is good, because that means he'll probably write his own patches.

Well, he is a millionaire, so I don't think spending that much on a CPU which his entire job revolves around is much of an expense at all.
    As others have pointed out, compiling itself isn't multi-threaded, but modern compilers do readily take advantage of as many cores as you can offer for each file to be compiled (and the Linux kernel has a lot of files). That being said, I'm actually surprised he didn't go for the 3990X, which can compile the whole kernel in about 22 seconds. Even 16c/32t will take over a minute.
    So - I wouldn't consider getting such a CPU if you're not a serious developer, but otherwise it's just about the best choice of a CPU to get if time=money for you.

Noisiv likes this.

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    As far as I know, they are changing, but they are making their own processor.

Perjantai likes this.
  17. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    HIS R9 290
    Sort of - to my knowledge, it's still based on ARM, much like the iPhones and iPads. They seem to be pulling a Windows 8, where they're steadily creeping toward a single unified OS and platform.

18. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    knew I should have bought the 3970x
    guru3d censors my image host for some reason so you will have to get the link in my comments below l1techs video check the gallery link you will see actual wattage on a "real life" computer it's pretty much worst case scenario watts/wise as I have 3 nvme 6 sata 8+usbs water pump custom cooling and way too much rgb
    as long as you don't use one or more gpu it's "okay" around 300-400watts at the psu/socket if you add 100% gpu usage to the mix then you better have an air conditioned room lol to test cooling I did H.265 compression for 9hrs in a 4x5m room there was 35°C inside at the end lol
    Code:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37RP9I3_TBo
    if PBO gives you good performance for your application the power draw and cooling required are incredibly low (PBO basically reduce your cpu watts by half while still giving you good performance...in synthetic benchmarks at least....)
    if PBO reduces your specific workload performance you can revert to manual "overclocking" which in AMD case can be under-clocking/volting and you'll get the same perf or better for less watts
    to say that AMD Ryzen is weird is an understatement I think I'm going to make a video about PBO because no one believes me when I say your temp goes down during a cinebench run lol AMD opened a door to the 4th dimension lol too bad they made a mess of the idle, otherwise the Intel-AMD gap would be even wider

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  19. MegaFalloutFan

MegaFalloutFan Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX4090 24Gb
    Hey, I have an extra one [brand new and sealed], can offer you a discount. Im trying to ebay it but because ebay takes 10% from the sellers + automatically taxes buyers the price is unreasonable, but just trough PayPal it will be cheaper then buying in a store

20. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    here you go
    cinebenchR20 run default settings 66°C 280/470Watts
    cinebenchR20 run PBO 46°C 140/275Watts
    now don't take me for a fool I know this "magic" doesn't come free
    1st the clock goes down some workloads won't like that, some won't care
    2nd as I experienced trying to make this video using aida64 stress test initially the system isn't as stable with PBO (OBS crashed my graphics driver and temporarily corrupted something in my system I had to reboot)
    3rd a synthethic benchmark is what it is, just like asrock and it's prototype 2 slots aqua motherboard, just like volkswagen with it's diesel emissions or like Subaru and it's nurburgring lap record with an engine that was running 8000rpm nonstop as soon as a benchmark becomes a staple of marketing, brands are going to tailor their products to get the best scores even if they need to cheat a little

Last edited: May 26, 2020