iD Software to remove Denuvo from Doom Eternal

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 22, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Maddness likes this.
  2. emperorsfist

emperorsfist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    AORUS RTX 3070 8Gb
    A good decision, honestly. Having an anti-cheat running in singleplayer is never going to go well, and the fact that the thing seemingly broke the game for Linux players also didn't help.

RodroG and Brasky like this.
  3. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good news, nevertheless the game is still a disappointment for Doom series.

4. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    My problem with the update was that I was not informed, at the time of sale, that they would drop a kernel level driver on my PC and expect me to install and maintain it if I wish to continue using a game I primarily play in single player. All my requests for refunds got denied and my email to the creators of Denuvo still gone unanswered, so I was going to take all my correspondence and go through small claims court today and file a claim against Valve Corporation.

Happily this won't be necessary anymore, with this upcoming update so I'm happy to wait.

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    How to ruin a great game Bethesda style.

6. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Is it bad? lot of people praised it as a lot of fun.
    What are the negative aspects in your opinion?

7. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    I hope Cryohellinc doesn't mind me stepping in but I think I know what he's talking about, as I had similar thoughts as well. It plays very differently to Doom 2016, which I completed just prior to starting Doom Eternal. Doom Eternal plays a lot more like an arena shooter, back in the days of Quake and Unreal Tournament, with lots of mobility. Parkour is definitely necessary and there are a lot of platforming puzzles in the game as well, which surprised me for a Doom game. Ammo is incredibly scarce as well, so you'll be relying on your chainsaw to fill up your ammo count. Some weapons work well against some demons more than others, so you'll be figuring out what works best. By the end of the game you'll be treating every arena fight like a puzzle. Keep the weak enemies around while focusing on the harder demons, take out vulnerable points on demons to help make it easier, constantly moving, jumping and navigating using the swing bars. Constantly switching weapons to deal with the right demon/situation, dive back into zombies for ammo and health, to go back out at it again.

Personally, I also felt that the soundtrack wasn't as good as Doom 2016, but I may be in the minority.

Is it a bad game? No, it's a good game. Is it a good Doom game? I think so, just some aspects of it were disappointing like I outlined above. I feel it's completely different to Doom 2016 so I wouldn't go in expecting that.

8. Texter

Texter Guest

GPU:
    Club3d GF6800GT 256MB AGP
    Doom Eternal is basically just Portal 3...here come the mob...you...no (portal) gun (yeah Bill Hicks just sprang to mind hehe)

9. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    A lot of people like trash nowadays.

What I don't like about Quake: Eternal-
    -SJW influence
    -microtransactions
    -rainbow fountains
    -season pass
    -"story"
    -"handholding gameplay"

There is a good video about modern games:

Dribble and Solfaur like this.
  10. Richard Nutman

Richard Nutman Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire 7800XT
    I agree, far too restricting on ammo.. and often run out of chainsaw fuel.. I'm just left running around trying to dodge monsters looking for ammo.
    Too much platforming as well.

eGGroLLiO and Solfaur like this.

11. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    Felt so too at the start then i adapted and upgraded gear helped, didnt feel much different from 2016 at that point.

12. mentor07825

mentor07825 Member Guru

GPU:
    Nvidia RTX 3080
    Definitely pumping all your upgrade points in extended ammo helped immensely. After that, the recharge time for your first chainsaw was hardly noticeable.

Richard Nutman likes this.
  13. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    I'm glad they're undoing something that they should never have done in the first place.

sykozis and eGGroLLiO like this.
  14. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    It does not matter....
    as....the protection would have been bypassed sooner or later....by these reverse "engineers".

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Bethesda really have not been able to release video games without something going wrong, a game being sub par, or there being controversy following a games release.... it's like they are making bad decisions on purpose.. it's kind of crazy.

Gandul and Undying like this.

16. Solfaur

Solfaur Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 3080Ti Gaming OC
    What a pointless patch, and by that I mean the initial one, introducing Denuvo. They should have known better and spared themselves (and the players) the whole debacle. At least they weren't stubborn and corrected their mistake, but the damage to their image is done. This and the whole Mick Gordon story, it's just quite a bit of controversy around this game. I bought it on release and liked it, but honestly I liked the 2016 one a lot better, and would have been better off with buying Eternal on sale, as the multiplayer is absolute crap and I'm not the type to play single-player over and over and do speed runs and stuff. I did finish 2016 one 3 times though...

17. Truder

Truder Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6700XT Nitro+

Doom 2016 let me play the game the way I enjoyed it, I could settle on my favourite gun and develop my own style of dealing with enemies, whether I was cautious and kept everything at a distance or got up close with SSG.

Doom Eternal shapes/engineers us to play in a specific way, we're forced to have to use specific weapons for specific enemies (well, not forced but if you use a weapon that is weak against an enemy, you'll find you're out of ammo and have to chainsaw) and the limited ammo pool becomes tedious and annoying, the game introduced what I'd like to call "soft QTEs" quick time events where you have to dodge enemies at specific times or wait for them to flash a weakspot to stagger or deal damage etc. It is very clever in the way that the game has been presented and the method for directing the gameplay does feel at least, organic and natural but nevertheless, it very much feels tedious and laborious once you realise this and find there isn't much alternatives to enjoy the game the way you like.

Solfaur likes this.
  18. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Ok i understand that basically the game is fine, but you expected something else.
    Is not that has bugs or is not fun, is just not what you wanted from a doom game.

What do you mean by SJW influence?

i agree microtransactions are bad in a 70euro game.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Yeah this is indeed a wise move because it effected single player as well by needing the driver installed in order to run the game.

20. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Horrid interface / the above-mentioned rainbows / god awful skins....

I can keep going for a while. Bethesda made a U-turn from the initial game vision, which was more in line with Doom 2016, towards a more pathetic approach.

Oh and how could I forget that awful trailer with rap music? So fitting.