Jensen Huang (NVIDIA CEO) sends another mail to employees on COVID-19, GTC 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 21, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Sounds very Bill Gates "esque"

3. Maddness

Maddness Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080 Aorus Xtreme
    That should help ease a few people's minds who work for them. Staying positive at this time and showing how valued employees are is a good thing.

4. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Good environment, wish more companies were like that.

toyo likes this.

5. ruthan

ruthan Master Guru

GPU:
    G1070 MSI Gaming
    Remember Ageaa and physx? These AI hw for everything could be next bubble.. Same as VR is good enough.

6. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    One infected and all the hell will break loose. Until then he can send imails like this.

7. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    It's the first paragraph that gets me, when this guy is worth $5.8 Billion...
    "Most were living paycheck to paycheck, barely getting by. Some are friends and family."

So this guy has the power/resources/money to help his friends and family get by, but doesn't say he helped them. Seems to be a shitty friend.

GSDragoon likes this.
  8. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    typo

9. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Brit90
    guess you havent heard, but "worth" doesnt equal savings account/cash.
    how much do Bezos and Gates or other multi billionaires have?
    they could easily give +ONE BILLION if they REALLY wanted to help anything.

10. Brit90

Brit90 Member Guru

GPU:
    R390X 8GB
    Yes the old story, "property rich" but "money poor".
    Love how people defend Billionaires...
    I actually do work for a guy who is a billionaire, claims the same thing. Although he just produced $25m for his personal island rebuild...
    I wonder where he got that cash from.... probably his bank account.
    Now he has put all his staff on a 30% pay cut, even though last year he made $28m and he spends about $1m running his island and staff... meh...(glad I'm sub contracted, my prices are firm).

11. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'm not a fan of him but I don't see anything wrong here:
    • We don't know that he hasn't helped family and friends. Nowadays, doing something generous and posting it online often results in making people judge you. Huang already has an over-inflated ego; he doesn't need to make it any bigger by showing off generous deeds
    • He is helping out. He's keeping people employed and from what I recall, he's given raises too.
    • He was speaking on behalf of everyone in his company, not just himself. Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't have a lot of friends, but his employees most certainly do. So, I think it's good he got his employees to consider others. He doesn't owe his employee's friends anything. Just because he's rich, that doesn't mean he's obligated to give away a few hundred million dollars to those in need.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  12. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    I'd say research is taken very seriously, whereas preventative measures and deployment are totally out of control and insufficient. Governments, universities, medical research labs, and corporations are all pitching in to get this over with.

As for ramping up the "T&E" research, everyone can help with that. WCG and rosetta@home are both BOINC projects that anyone can contribute toward, and then there's folding@home.

13. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    So...you email your staff and then the first thing you mention is the f'kin' STOCK MARKET...nice to know what is at the forefront of your mind.

*click*

14. Aura89

Aura89 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    -
    I'm sorry you read what someone posted to their employees and decided to nitpick it and make it a negative...why? Just because he is rich? Jealous much?

What, were you expecting him to tell you his life story and everyone he has or has not helped?

"And because i am a billionaire, i gave 1 million to Jim, and Tammy, and George, and Donald, and Jill, and Toby...but i didnt give any to Jeff, he knows why!"

Like wtf are you expecting or are you just being cynical for the sake of it? You're not helping anyone.

15. Denial

Denial Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA RTX 3080
    I don't see the problem with the letter - even if it's partially marketing.

It's pretty clear that Nvidia treats it's employees right:

https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/NVIDIA-Reviews-E7633.htm

It has one of the highest glass door ratings in tech with Jens constantly rated one of the top CEOs. I went to school (Rochester Institute of Technology) with tons of friends that interned/work there - they all speak well about their experiences.

fry178 and toyo like this.

16. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    He should run for president, shame he cannot. He's smart, understands the plight of the less fortunate, has experience in leading a large enterprise with great success, he's tech savvy and his most controversial behaviors seem to be wearing a leather jacket too often and being meme-friendly when it comes to overselling his products.
    Somebody with a high IQ that is comfortable with science could be a real asset in today's politics of the dumb.

geogan likes this.
  17. fry178

fry178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 2080S WB
    @Brit90
    not defending a billionaire, just someone you personally dont even know (just because you work for ONE doesnt mean ...).
    my point is, there are at least 50 ppl with more money than him. have you complained about them not giving money too?
    the top 10 on this planet have more more money and could easily give more than the next 100, without it making a dent in their pocket.

but yeah, the leather men is ..

18. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    You know who we need for the President? Elon Musk. Things will get real very fast.

19. Dribble

Dribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Geforce 1070
    You joke but he's trump mk 2 in many ways - off his rocker, writes stupid stuff on twitter, but has that "don't give a f*** I'll do it anyway" attitude that American's love and has an evangelical fan base. He would win.

fry178 likes this.
  20. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Well, at least he gets things done. There is a car in a space, heading to Mars right now.