Review: Core i5 10600K and Core i9 10900K processors

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2020.

1. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    You can still buy them on amazon and such. But they're not really any good. I'm putting that dude on ignore, he's out of it.

2. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    True if you get it from a Chinese E-tailer selling through Amazon and or Newegg or even AllyExpress. But waiting a long time for delivery and shipping from those places isn't even worth it.

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    Guys where you get those prices :O . In Poland :
    Ryzen 3600X - 225$
    i5-10600k - 353$

THAT IS NOT SMALL difference as some reviewers point. It is actually HUGE. Thats more like 40% .. :O

Turanis, Gandul and itpro like this.
  4. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    That's 58% more.

Just checked Alza.sk the 3600 is 188 EUR, the 10600k not in stock. I'm sure you can do better than 225 EUR in Poland. And you can do better than 353 EUR for the 10600k.

5. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It's too early for checking prices. You pay random money, whatever they ask. We shouldn't form an opinion right now.

6. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    The whole 8000 series was legendary to be honest. And yea the 7970 has aged so well, this is the card that started the "fine wine" saying for AMD. AMD seemed to build GPUs with future tech in mind like Mantle which led to Vulkun and DX12. Whereas Nvidia seemed to focus on what was current leading to their cards ageing quite badly.

Venix likes this.
  7. laimis911

laimis911 Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX1070
    I think more reviews should use Assassins Creed Odyssey as a CPU benchmark. That game kills any CPU . These tested games are way more GPU heavy.

Gandul and Undying like this.
  8. Ricepudding

Ricepudding Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I had two 7970s they were amazing cards for the time. They aged so great as well... Remmeber some of the drivers giving so much extra performance.

But yeah was being a bit over dramatic about the 2080ti performance :p though I don't count DLSS as performance otherwise technically the 2080ti crushes the 1080ti. I did hear about the 40% but this would mean maybe a 80-90% give or take over the 1080ti which considering its two generations apart is quite sad.

That said I hope rumours are a bit wrong and we get even stronger cards, new amd chips do look strong wonder how long till we see consumer models assuming we do, they must be making so many for the consoles. I hear both xbox and sony want at least 1 million consoles by launch so might be a big paper launch for gpus

Venix and CPC_RedDawn like this.
  9. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    It also utilize more cores which would be interesting to see with these 10-12c cpus. Maybe with Valhalla.

Gandul likes this.
  10. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    intelgamer, change your name, you are very defiant for blue team, for no reason. Covid-19 is blue and green it seems. All hail to 7ghz for everyone. All hail to 200fps. Banzai! Banzai! (Ignored for spam.)

@Fender178 Sure it's a headache to buy those, I just state the facts what cpu should be placed into the fight. Availability is another chapter. I stated the tech situation. Fanboys can place even an athlon against i3 and say amd is not for gaming. When you compare cpus, do it right, not blindfolded.

Back on topic, if you see ryzen 2+ vs intel 10series, you get a standard 15-35% more raw processing power under multi-threaded tasks while losing 5-25% gaming performance depending on resolution.

It's win-win situation, whichever you choose to play with, you sacrifice whatever you gain from the other.

11. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    First of all, some of you need to calm down and not be rude.

On topic, I'm very surprised about thermals. That did not go the way everyone expected. For the better though.

anxious_f0x, Venix, Fender178 and 2 others like this.
  12. Andrew LB

Andrew LB Maha Guru

GPU:
    EVGA GTX 1080@2,025
    Last paragraph about prices for motherboards. They start at around $150 usd. Not $250.

13. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    Just read the reviews and it´s pretty much what we expected, only with more cores and (little) higher speeds. The 10900K makes little sense unless someone has lots of money to burn and the 10600K seems to be a very good CPU, but here in Portugal it´s too expensive, it starts at 275€. With the need for a decent board and a good cooler, an Intel system is going to be considerably more expensive than a similar system from AMD that offers pretty much the same performance.

Personally, i have very little interest in this "new" CPUs and unless something happens, i´m going to skip them.

A couple of questions:

- My Asus Z270F gaming cost me 190€, now the Z490f Gaming costs 295€! The boards from AMD are also getting more expensive with each release, why are MBs becoming so expensive lately???

- In the conclusion, Hilbert wrote that the Z490 chipset is going to support 2 generations of CPUs, both released this year, and that next year a new socket is going to released, this means that this socket is only going to last an year???

Anyway, great review Hilbert!

14. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    They're better boards. Z490 boards have better VRM, better heatsinks, better PCBs, integrated IO shields, better connectivity. All these things add up. You can still buy a 200 EUR board and it'll be better than the Z270 Gaming F.

15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    My understanding is that z490 + 1200 will last one year ( as most intel sockets ) but the new cpu that will fit it will also add 4 extra pci express lanes and new cores.
    I m not sure how the pciexpress wiring will work, but this is what i read.

Also the new cpu should be pci express 4.0

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree that it is a tad too late for Intel since AMD has the best bang for the buck CPU right now with the 3600.
    Also I checked the prices of the 3500X of a Newegg Market seller and they want $270 bucks for it. It is so not worth it. You can Get a 3600 and a 3600X cheaper than that. Also the 10600K is cheaper than it. Since the 10600K is smack in the middle of the 3600 and 3600x all 3 of those CPUs are better buy than the 3500x.

17. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    hoped for a miracle it didn't come to pass
    I expected better but it's just a 9900k with too many cores trying to battle for market it has no chance to win
    the motherboards and their insane X570/TRX40 prices without the features add insult to injury

in the words of the great philosopher "game over...game over man !" o_O

Gandul and gerardfraser like this.
  18. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Havn't used OCUK for a very long time since i moved back to Hong Kong, but i agree that OCUK is very overpriced.

19. chainy

chainy Active Member

GPU:
    970gtx
    The i5-10600 KF seems like a winner here for high fps 1080p gaming, Hilbert's sample is just worrying not going over 5ghz ;) Basicly you get a improved i7-8700K for alot less money, if u need more cores or wanna save more money or on a tight budget pick amd!

20. beedoo

beedoo Member Guru

GPU:
    6900XT Liquid Devil
    Slightly underwhelming release really. Would have been more palatable had it worked with existing motherboards, I guess.

That said, at least we can expect a mass of cheap 9900K systems dropping into the second hand market due to the large number of 9900K owners that MUST ONLY HAVE the highest FPS. Now they don't have that - it would be hypocritical to not upgrade...

Last edited: May 21, 2020