Zen 3-based Ryzen detailed, 16-core model with 4.6GHz boost and rumored 20% IPC increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2020.

1. Silva

Silva Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual RX580 O4G
    Zen 3 will be to me what 2500K was for 8 years. My 2600 seat is only provisory, warming it up for a 4000 CPU!

Fediuld and Aztec2Step like this.
  2. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    My point of view was:
    Ryzen 3950X 16/32 ~£700 in UK
    Threadripper 3970X 32/64 ~ £1900 in UK

Ryzen 3900X 12/24 ~£420
    Threadripper 3960X 24/48 ~ £1200

I do understand that core/price ratio looks cool but on the other hand it does not look that great, at least not to me.

If I was to make market share as smaller/weaker participant of the market I would go lower until it does not hurt the budget.

Don't get me wrong I'm not against AMD, I do like their products as I have got one with 2600X/RX570 etc.
    AMD is still a little bit on the 'down side' compare to Intel when it comes to upgrade or building a new computer for many many user (unfortunately).
    Many of users are not willing to own AMD in their PCs because that is AMD and that's it, only the ones care that know how good AMD is already, not like it used to be before Zen (mostly Zen2 If I may)

AMD should do the same as they do on Server market, selling their products for much cheaper than the big blue and this is the way for gaining users.

3. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    --------------------------

--> Eh...Houston, we have a problem.

I feel the following will be lost on you from the previous post I made...
    It certainly is astounding just how much AMD has undercut Intel on this cost-per-core basis (and by how much Intel have had to cut pricing), and equally astounding just how much these blatant facts are so conveniently forgotten by a...certain predictable subset.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    Fediuld and gerardfraser like this.
  4. Exodite

Exodite Guest

GPU:
    Sapphire Vega 56
    I wouldn't read anything into either the rumored clocks or IPC increases at this point but I have a good feeling for one reason in particular...

The strength of the 3300X, with it's single-CCX design, compared to the 3100 gives an indication that the move to 8-core CCXs might do a lot for tasks that currently aren't all that favorable to the ZEN architecture. With the (rumored?) improvements to the Infinity Fabric as well ZEN3 might well be stronger than expected given it uses a similar process and doesn't have any really obvious design changes (doubling cores/caches etc.).

Fediuld likes this.

5. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    You did? To be honest I went straight from 1st generation i7 970 on Rampage II with DDR3 RAM to a 3900X on X570 Hero VIII with very expensive DDR4 and I did not really notice any difference in general Windows operation at all... it is exactly the same responsiveness. Only speed ups are in processing operations and benchmarks. General day to day stuff with normal programs feels no different.

6. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    well if this rumour is even half as good as they're making it sound it should be a decent upgrade for me even from my 2600.

7. Supertribble

Supertribble Master Guru

GPU:
    Noctua 3070/3080 FE
    This recent talk of BIOS limitations has me questioning my choice of x570 board, and whether MSI can be trusted to deliver a smooth experience. I can't find any solid info about the BIOS spec for the gaming edge wifi. I wish I could go back and get a different board. Not much info at the time on anything other than high end boards. :confused:

8. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I totally agree with you, AMD has already increased core count across the board with the Zen 1, +, and Zen 2. There is no need for more cores in the mainstream segment just yet. Focus on increasing throughput, clockspeed gains, power consumption, and efficiency. Things they can take forward for Zen 4 when they will more than likely increase core count once again.

However, where I think AMD will increase core count once more will be on the low end/entry level area. I expect those 4c/4t APU's to disappear and become 6c/6t chips being the lowest model, then move up to 6c/12t and beyond for the APU market. We already have word on the 4700G being an 8c/16t chip. So it makes sense to finally be done with those 2c and 4c models and make them a thing of the past.

9. Borys

Borys Member Guru

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Gaming X
    This next Zen 8 core will have the multitasking performance of Intel 10 Core with half of TDP with the same gaming performance...
    Goodbye Intel... you have the chance but until now is offering PATHETIC toster and absolete CPUS!
    AMD FOREVER! Until at least a decent cost x performance Intel CPU appears... (will take so much.....+++++ time)

10. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    Actually, so far most of the rumors for each Zen generation has been shockingly accurate. This isn't the days of the FX series, where they would cherry-pick one result from a synthetic test and hold onto it.

However... I do find 20% increase in IPC suspiciously optimistic. I could see a 20% overall performance improvement, but 20% for IPC alone doesn't sound right.

11. H83

H83 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Black 6950XT
    The last time i noticed a noticeable speed improvement when it comes to basic windows stuff was when i bought a SSD because having a faster CPU made no difference at all. Any modern CPU is more than enough for the basic stuff like web surfing or playing music/videos.

12. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Remember when the AMD fans were hoping for 5Ghz based on those rumors?! :rolleyes:

In all seriousness, Zen 3 should bring some increased IPC. Rocket Lake vs Zen 3 should be very interesting. As Rocket Lake is also bringing increased IPC performance.

13. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    Even if half of this rumor would be true, just with 10% IPC increase and NO clock increase at all, this will walk all over Intel "10" series like there's no tomorrow.

Zen 2 R7-3800X already closes the gap to 9900K even in gaming when using fast tuned memory @ 3800Mhz - 1T (1usmus calculator timings with Sam. B-die or Micron E-die - Yes, it's a kind of an overclock, but so is Intel's "multi-core enhancement" where the CPU runs overclocked way beyond it's thermal limit, out of the box).

10900K barely gains anything over 9900K, and already loses to R9-3900X (which is cheaper !!) in pretty much anything else than gaming.

With only 10% added, a very-near future 4900X will be faster than maximum overclocked 10900K, including in games.
    With 20% ?? It will run circles around it.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Unpacking is a lot faster, especially when there are a lot of small files, video rendering is a lot faster, game performance is steady, my 4970K could not keep up with my RTX for 4K gaming, heck even the older 2600K had problems with my previous 1080 for 1440p.
    Kind of comes down to the definition of general operations, doesn't it?
    I found a pretty cheap set of 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 on campaign, spec wise they do as well as a lot of the more expensive sticks, unless you go for lower CL, but then they also start to get really expensive.

15. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Any X570 board should support Zen 3 without issues.

Fediuld likes this.

16. Kool64

Kool64 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070
    At this point the only think that matters is how this rumored increase will affect gaming.

17. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    If 20% ipc gains are true that would be a finishing shot to the skylake line there are no more tricks like lapping the die to get better temps intel will need their next lithography and do not forget eventually we will see what Keller is cooking over there and seeing his previous work ...it is almost doomed to be a keller architecture ...i mean killer :p . I might be a member of the Keller fun club :p

DownwithEA likes this.
  18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    7nm EUV can do higher clockrates thanks to more control over the shaping of gates.

19. geogan

geogan Maha Guru

GPU:
    4080 Gaming OC
    Does the Zen2 3x00 series use a 7nm EUV process on main chiplets?

20. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    no, its 7nm and14nm io

there is no confirmation that zen3 will use euv either.