Zen 3-based Ryzen detailed, 16-core model with 4.6GHz boost and rumored 20% IPC increase

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 20, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Embra, Silva, Maddness and 1 other person like this.
  2. Clawedge

Clawedge Guest

GPU:
    Radeon 570
  3. Matt26LFC

Matt26LFC Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 2080Ti
    About what I expected for this one. Not expecting more cores this time around, not that I need them for everyday stuff lol Maybe Zen4 we'll see more cores, which is still insane tbf

CPC_RedDawn likes this.
  4. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    I just wonder if A0 runs at this frequency, how much could increase with the final product?Extra 100-300MHz maybe?
    If the rumoured 15-20% IPC increase is true than the prices will go up crazy.
    Intel will have no answer on these until they come out with their 7nm architecture.

5. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    Highly unlikely, AMD makes massive profits already,but their main goal is a bigger market share. The strategy is to grab as much as possible while Intel struggles, instead of trying to settle down with what they have already gained.

Aura89, Maddness, EspHack and 4 others like this.
  6. Devid

Devid Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX 6800 XT TUF
    Threadripper prices skyrocketed as soon as Intel did not have answer on them.
    I'm affraid same can happen to AM4 platform.
    I wish I wasn't right.
    I believe as you have mentioned the market share will be theirs main goal still.

EspHack, itpro and cryohellinc like this.
  7. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    So not great clock advantages with new arch and improved process.
    Not a big deal for me, i was hoping something like 200 extra mhz

I cross finger for my x470 and a cpu swap in september.

8. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Also today intel 10th gen performance nda uplift, so this may be just strategic infos.

itpro likes this.
  9. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    These are Engineering Samples :p
    4.6Ghz on them is huge thing, Zen 2 ES A0 had 4.2 boost clock.

Mesab67, itpro and cryohellinc like this.
  10. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Damn AMD, stop it. I want to skip this DDR4 thing all alone.

fantaskarsef and itpro like this.

11. Aztec2Step

Aztec2Step Active Member

GPU:
    Pulse RX 6800
    Oh my! My epeen appears to be tingling...

:confused:

itpro likes this.
  12. cryohellinc

cryohellinc Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RX 6750XT/ MAC M1
    It wasn't related to AMD, rather the resalers were to blame. Prices increased due to insanely high demand for Threadripper products, the same goes for Ryzen CPU's. Once the supply was able to catch up prices settled down. At least that was the case locally.

Slap on top of it better IPC and we have a massive performance boost.

Embra, Fediuld and itpro like this.
  13. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    It has better IPC and more threads than all Intel offerings. Still, people will give their soul for half a ghz just epeen reasoning. I need to see power consumption in real world scenarios to decide who is more retard. Amd fanboys or Intel ones. :confused:

14. BuildeR2

BuildeR2 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 4090 TUF OG OC
    This could bode well. I went all out on an X570 board in the hopes that Zen 3 would deliver a CPU that I could sit on for ~5 years, much like I did with my 4770k setup.
    Yeah, I held out on DDR4 as long as I could. Ended up buying some 32GB FlareX B-Die stuff and had a blast tweaking it over the last week, hope for some reasonable resale to somebody still on DDR3 when Zen4/DDR5 are available. Don't be afraid to make the jump right now or with Zen 3, even daily tasks and desktop use saw a massive uptick in responsiveness when I went from 4770k/2400MHz@CL10 to 3600X/3600MHz@CL16.

Really loving it right now and I'm prepared for PCIe 4.0 GPU's and NVMe drives around Christmas this year.

Maddness, Fediuld and sverek like this.
  15. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    Thread ripper prices went down on a per core value. The only 4000 dollar cpu had 4 time the cores count of the old one that costed 999. And performance went up. So no, on Zen2 they were still on the cheap side

Mesab67 and Fediuld like this.

16. Fediuld

Fediuld Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD 5700XT AE
    Define "skyrocketed". 2990WX had "$53" per core and 3960X "$58", while the W-3265 "$140".
    And 3960X is faster than all of them.

So price wise is absolute bargain. And if you do not like TR4 platform, there is still the 3950X.....

Mundosold and Mesab67 like this.
  17. Glottiz

Glottiz Ancient Guru

GPU:
    TUF 3080 OC
    Have none of you learned anything by now? AMD's product rumors are always too optimistic and embellished.

18. illrigger

illrigger Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX 3080
    Despite the concept that AMD is cheaper, they have been price matching Intel performance since Ryzen launched, once you consider the entire platform. They've pushed Intel to make improvements, but from a cost-to-performance standpoint they have very carefully been aligning themselves with what Intel has offered. That's only fair, they should make as much money as they can while driving the market forward.

The big difference is when the platform gets ready for the next gen and stock is being cleared and CPUs end up dropping 25% - that never happened with Intel, as they were more careful to choke supply chains in the last few months before a launch, maintaining their retail pricing.

19. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    It certainly is astounding just how much AMD has undercut Intel on this cost-per-core basis (and by how much Intel have had to cut pricing), and equally astounding just how much these blatant facts are so conveniently forgotten by a...certain predictable subset.

carnivore likes this.
  20. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI

well B450 and zen 3000 is a cheap platform
    compared to intel. You hear just about z390 on intel side, and the smaller chipset arrive so much later and with cheap motherboards, while you can find a lot of fine midrange on the amd platform. Forget x570 of course

Fediuld likes this.