AMD Reverses Course on B450 and X470 Support for Zen 3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 19, 2020.

1. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    Just 3 days ago they were shamed into opening their ray tracing library, after initially announcing it as closed source.

When you make your marketing all about creating rage against the competition, you can expect that People leading Red Rebellion won't be all that interested in your Technical explanations...

[​IMG]

Neo Cyrus and bobblunderton like this.
  2. NCC1701D

NCC1701D Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 FE
    This is good news and I had an inkling of suspicion they would walk back on this. It will be a wait and see approach from my end in regards to whether Zen 3 is worth the upgrade from my 3700X. I like AMD, but they aren't the best at launches. I bought my 3700X months after release and they still hadn't ironed out BIOS issues yet.

3. bobblunderton

bobblunderton Master Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 2070 Super 8gb
    "AMD weighted the potential [censored]storm against the challenges (and chip set profit) their team faces"
    HOORAY! Now you don't have to coat your fans so they don't get brown badness all over them, AMD.
    People will be happy with AMD now and I can open up a new metal recycling center for all those disused pitchforks.
    From everything I've heard on the public-facing side of the news, and things I've heard that aren't public (I know some people), there isn't going to be a massive jump again in wattage consumed by newly-introduced high-core-count processors (more than 8 cores).
    2xxx series - up to 8c 16t, 3xxx - up to 16c 32t = big jump & double the cores
    4xxx series - I highly doubt, and have heard nothing relating to the release of more than 16 cores 32 thread processors for mainstream AM4.
    Why?
    Well, maybe I'm just selectively deaf, or this info is kept from board partners at this time. No one that I know has gotten anything from AMD that I know of indicative of any sizeable jump in TDP / Wattages.

So of course we well know if you're going to even attempt to overclock a 12-core or 16-core processor, a budget board (or 'non-enthusiast main-stream board' in this case) is not a good starting point at any rate - whether using intel or AMD chips. You and most others know that the Z or X series boards (product line dependent) are the go-to for a decent overclock and not drastically shortening the life of expected componentry. Plus, you don't really have to overclock anything besides AMD's most budget offerings to get the most out of them, they handle themselves pretty well at stock.

Want to OC? Buy a GOOD solid Z-series or X-series board (depending if AMD or intel again). Skip the A & B-series (and intel Q-series or H-series boards). Leave the B-series boards for the rest of the folks who just want to put the system together and leave it stock (aside of XMP) and enjoy the good value for many years.
    None of this is an attempt at being condescending, etc, nor is there anything to be read 'between the lines'. Just take at face value without emotion.

That said, AMD is going to have less issues with the board manufacturers AND customers with enabling selective support VS just saying 'nope / noper'.
    Ironically, I sent that exact statement onto AMD's Reddit post about it the other day. I hope that's what helped. I said you don't need to give it to everyone, for every board. No one's asking that. We just want it available should we choose to take a budget-friendly path and merely wish to update the CPU and not change boards, invalidating most copies of Windows in the process.
    I presume that's a fair middle ground. That's fair to both consumers and the guys at AMD product development. No one gets barbeque'd or (pitch)forked.

B450/X470 board owners, rest well.

4. kanenas

kanenas Master Guru

GPU:
    6900xt,7800xt.
    this is pbo and that is my 3800x results also the 3950x goes up to 4.73 where is the problem the minus 0.20ghz? Untitled.png

5. chispy

chispy Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090
    I just heard from a little birdie ( My connections in the industry ) that a Beta bios for x370 to support Ryzen 4000 cpus Zen 3 is in the works ;)

6. Mpampis

Mpampis Master Guru

GPU:
    RX 5700 XT 8GB
    That's good news for us using the X370 platform.
    Having to buy a new motherboard would probably prevent X470 owners from buying Zen 3 CPUs, which could probably cause Zen 2 prices not to drop.
    So now, I'll just patiently wait until Zen 2 gets dirt cheap in the autumn, and then I'll replace my Ryzen 1700.

7. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Damn!! the Intel shill army usual suspects were quick to jump into this thread lol.

While this is very good news (assuming BIOS functionality won't be crippled)...
    If anyone has hard evidence AMD stated Zen3 support across AM4, kindly link to it here.
    We'll have to assume MSI, XMG etc have that in abundance for you...or did they jump the gun?

Now...is there something else supposed to be happening tomorrow that might tie into this ;)

8. waltc3

waltc3 Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD 50th Ann 5700XT
    Just do the smart thing and buy x570--or B550. Skip all of the hassle this will entail. Support for B450/X470 will come a good amount of time after the x570, B550 Zen 3 CPUS are launched and shipped, and bios support for Z3 AGESAs will always lag behind such support, just as they have with Zen 2 support in pre-x570 mboards. But if AMD goes the forked bios route they are talking about--how does this not entail buying a new x470/B450 motherboard? What about PCIx4 mode support? If it does, then I cannot see a reason to want to do this at all. Just buy an x570/B550 mboard, instead.

9. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    That ship has already sailed. Read the title.

10. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Its kind of ridiculous for him to raise that question. Just goes to show his AMD fanboyism. Obviously since AMD reversed their decision it means they know they were in the wrong. Not to mention, how many videos have Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed, and such done proving they made statements implying Zen 3 would work for B450 and X470.

11. Agonist

Agonist Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900xtx Black
    Cool, should still be able to use my MSI Gaming Pro X470.
    Wasnt an issue to get a new board.
    Just sell my 2700x, and get a 4700x or what ever and faster ram. Currently on 3000 16GB.

12. Kaleid

Kaleid Ancient Guru

GPU:
    7900xt
    Terrific, might do another upgrade

13. Noisiv

Noisiv Ancient Guru

GPU:
    2070 Super
    yes does it even matter?
    People can slip brand new Zen 3 in their B450/X470 motherboard? Isn't that awesome?
    If I was a lucky x470 owner I'd be thanking to "AMD naysayers" and to "Intel shill army", instead of asking for

"hard evidence AMD stated Zen3 support across AM4"

LOL he still wants hard evidence :D

Loophole35 likes this.
  14. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yeah that's what I did after going for seriously high end and expensive with the last two motherboards. Both Asus Formula Maximus boards I opted to go cheaper this time round with no expectation that I would go beyond the 3700x. Ended up with an MSI B450 mortar for £100. So yeah not really that bothered that it may not have supported Zen 3, as I was never intending to upgrade the CPU on this board anyway.

Of course it's a pleasant surprise still.

15. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Lol.

16. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    In my humble opinion, it doesn't matter. An enthusiast or performance seeker, would really want the pure pciex 4.0 experience with higher clocked ram offered by zen 3 arch and latest mobos. :)

People should just buy a second hand or discounted zen 2 cpu with more cores.

17. moab600

moab600 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY 4090 XLR8 24GB
    It was expected as the backlash was too huge to pull an intel move.

18. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    I'm OK with waiting. In fact. I purchased a 3700X on the first week and my previous sample had one unstable core in P95 max power load. Which became less stable in a later AGESA that was probably more exigent with the Precision Boost voltage/freq curve.
    Waited a few months and in December I ended up doing RMA with an October/November version and this one is better binned and stable.

So for Zen 3, or anything I'd just wait 2-3 months before pulling the trigger, the first batches have more bad samples.

Izi Cheeseborn likes this.
  19. fredgml7

fredgml7 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 7600
    It should be clear now that our behave as customers is key. We should always demand the best (for us) from any company.

Izi Cheeseborn likes this.
  20. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I agree with part of this statement about purchasing an x570 or B550 board because with the B450 and X470 boards once you upgrade the BIOS to the beta Zen3 one you CANNOT roll back.