AMD Reverses Course on B450 and X470 Support for Zen 3

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 19, 2020.

1. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    JonasBeckman, Maddness and mohiuddin like this.
  2. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    So basically, lawsuits diverted.

Silva likes this.
  3. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Is this not what i was saying?

4. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Probably the only reason really they did it. They knew there would be backlash, but once people started digging into their past marketing and statements, and the fact MSI was specifically gearing up their own lawsuit, they really had no choice but to cave.

They don't really want to do this.

Neo Cyrus and jbscotchman like this.

5. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Oh I'm sure MSI had a lot to do with this, especially since the Tomahawk model is the top selling board that guaranteed support for Zen 3.

Silva likes this.
  6. uKER

uKER Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3070 Ti
    I don't see why all the fuss about the BIOS being made available only by request to people buying Zen 3.

The upgrade to Zen 2 was just like this in most B350 motherboards, where they had to remove support for Raven Ridge to make space in the ROM, and if you were on Raven Ridge and flashed a Zen 2 BIOS you'd be left with a dead system, and it would be your fault.

But well, we cannot complain. Well played, AMD. My B450 is looking forward to it.

7. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    Exactly.

jbscotchman likes this.
  8. wavetrex

wavetrex Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ROG RTX 6090 Ultra
    REMOVED, please stop posting unnecessary videos in a discussion forum, thanks.

With all kind of information on how this will /may work, for those that prefer to listen instead of reading.

9. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    probably because it happened before where some consumer have a dead system and complained? Or maybe, just a disclaimer

10. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    AMD really need to sort their PR department. A lot of the flack they get is easily avoidable. Good to see them revert.

Silva likes this.

11. Neo Cyrus

Neo Cyrus Ancient Guru

GPU:
    黃仁勳 stole my 4090
    This is a relief knowing the backlash worked, as in those clowns are paying attention. I'm on an X570 board but that doesn't mean I'm any less infuriated. They made sure B550 was not available so everyone who bought a B450 board was screwed with 0 generational upgrades available if they went through with their BS. I bought a (at least at the time) high end X470 board with my Ryzen 2700 fully expecting support up to Zen 3 since it was heavily implied by AMD and eventually outright stated by MSI (at least for their 32MB ROM boards) since everyone including them obviously were expecting it.

AMD have barely tasted success for a minute and they're already turning into Intel. AMD needs to be more transparent and fire their current marketing department. I didn't need to be lied to and told my 3900X can pull a 4.6GHz turbo when its single core performance even at 4.3GHz is faster than an Intel chip at 5.2GHz outside of games. Stop lying, just talk about the good stuff you have, clowns.

And for the record, physically there is no reason higher end B350 and X370 boards can't support Zen 3 either. But at least cutting off support for those is more understandable due to what a mess it can become. You can bet for non-finalized designs AMD will just change pin count or physical compatibility in some way from now on to prevent having to support older boards. At the very least they'll say ahead of time they're not supported.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    What an exciting news story to start the day. Personally though I bought my B450 board with the iintention of going no higher than a 3700X. I really don't see a smooth transition happening with B450 and Zen 3.

13. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    AMD are pretty famous for doing pretty good and then being their own worst enemy and its usually because of their marketing people.

[​IMG]

I'd like to think they will change because of this, but this isn't the last time this will happen.

itpro likes this.
  14. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    They wanted to pull an intel but after all the negativity they are like "it works now", hah.

Just shows that they at same crap.

itpro likes this.
  15. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    Amd's marketing team some times ....it really impresses me ... when you think they can not screw up more ...they always find a way to prove me wrong and reach new heights of fail .... they really need to work on their marketing

16. Aztec2Step

Aztec2Step Active Member

GPU:
    Pulse RX 6800
    NOICE!!!

My 2700X is now shaking with fear at the thought of losing its cosy X470 home...

mohiuddin, Fediuld, EspHack and 4 others like this.
  17. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

AMD needs to put a choker on Robert.

18. thesebastian

thesebastian Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 Waterblock
    Good news: Some people can upgrade to Zen 3 easily
    Bad News: I was planning on keeping my 3700X LONG TERM. But now there is a chance I end up upgrading it with a Zen 3 one, just for the sake of having the latest gen. So this is bad news for my wallet.

I personally think AMD will sell much more CPUs if they support old motherboards.
    There is much more people that will upgrade the CPU, than the people that was going to upgrade the motherboard+CPU combo.

A LOT of people upgraded from Zen to Zen 2 without changing the motherboard/ram.

AIBs: They can also sell an old motherboard. Because old motherboards don't become obsolete. I bought a B450 ITX from ASRock when Zen 2 was released, and the price was still the same MSRP if not higher.

19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Another good thing about this is how AMD is handling the releasing of the BIOSes for x470 and B450 mobos for Zen3 support is that they having users verify that they did indeed purchase a Zen3 CPU in order for them to access it so no one ends up turning their PC into a paper weight. Also the BIOSes for these boards won't be out right away which could mean they will not have a rocky launch on b450 boards like they did with Zen2.

The board partners should make the update by a board by board basis for B450 because not every board might not be able to support Zen3 as far as stability goes due to not so great VRMs. There are some B450 boards that support 3900/3950x CPUs but can't overclock due to not so great VRMs.

20. icedman

icedman Maha Guru

GPU:
    MSI MECH RX 6750XT
    Well this is a relief for me I plan on swapping my 2600 to either a 4600 or 4700 depending on if the prices drop back to normal. I only payed 220$cad cheapest and best processor I've ever gotten.

olymind1 likes this.