Core i9 10900K Review with benchmarks finds its way to the web in Asia

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 18, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
  2. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    More power hungry than a true HEDT cpu 3950X if it's true, is not an efficient cpu at all for an average home user. Intel needs new tech soon. Even 3900X has 2 cores more, so the power goes to...HZ?

Solfaur likes this.
  3. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    I guess it's pretty much what we expected, no major core/architecture overhaul so slightly better single threaded performance and better multi threaded thanks to the 2 extra cores/4 threads. The power consumption is pretty crazy though, 10 cores/20 threads pulling more wattage than 16 cores... Then again, also expected given the crazy clocks/boost/thermal something boost. Granted, if you're buying one of these and you try to cheap out on cooling, you kind of deserve what you're getting, but what will they recommend for cooling?

And... speaking of embargo, what's the date for it to be lifted? And... Well, we all know from past reviews that Intel has been giving zero f... to the european media, will you be able to get one from usual sorces (motherboard manufactures if I'm not mistaken) even with the whole Covid situation?

4. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    Wednesday the performance embargoes will lift. And I am happy to report we received samples from Intel.

EspHack, RzrTrek, Exodite and 12 others like this.

5. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    If you look at the power numbers, in those benchmarks the intel is 10% faster and is drawing 10% more. Seems fine to me overall.
    I just wonder how they could get so low FPS with those games. fps around 55-65 is not what you want to compare with top tier CPU review.

6. Netherwind

Netherwind Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GB 4090 Gaming OC
    Nice! I'm hoping for a comparison test between an air cooler and an AIO. Not the whole test suite of course, just AIDA64 or something like that.

7. kakiharaFRS

kakiharaFRS Master Guru

GPU:
    KFA2 RTX 3090
    uh 3950x is not a "true HEDT" cpu my current 3960x is one or an Intel 10980XE...what makes an "HEDT" plateform is not the amount of cores, it's the cpu lanes EDIT: and max memory and certainly other things but yeah it's the overall package
    I ran out of lanes several times your sata drives or pci cards disappear at random at boot and when I say disappear, not even the bios sees them, very scary when you don't know what's happening, I rma'ed a thunderbolt 3 that was actually fine I just didn't have enough pcie lanes left to use it >< I also run out of usb bandwith, windows has a pop-up for that "too many usbs please disconnect one" thus I went threadripper, not by choice

other than that not surprised by the cpu placement a 9900k with higher power consumption
    I have zero confidence in the benchmarks tough the borderlands 3 one is unreliable no way you get 115fps at 1440p in ultra/badass
    this game is 90% GPU limited (between a 5ghz or 4ghz clocked 9900k your lose 0,1fps) maybe they lowered to quality to enhance cpu comparisons ?!

can't wait for Guru3d review
    and/or the reviews of the other cpus, more than 8 cores have no point for a gaming pc so I'm more interested in 4-8 cores gaming cpus than a non-hedt 10+ hybrid gaming/work

I can tell you already if those numbers are true (220Watts) you can forget air coolers, most are rated 150W or at best 180W, Noctuas often used are not designed for even 180Watts the 14 and 15 you see everywhere where made for Ryzen 1xxx and 2xxx NOT 3xxx, or Intel 7-8-9 but NOT 10 yes they kind of work...just like 150-180W TDP rated AIO kind of work, the problem when you go above their rated power is that they will be hot all the time, significantly raising either your case temp or radiator/liquid temp on AIOs
    weird how people "forget" to read the specs on coolers when they spend hours comparing fan numbers
    EDIT : there are a few new AIOs rated for more than 180W I believe, unlike Gamer Nexus don't forget that you cannot compare 1:1 an air cooler and AIO, AIOs allow you to either intake fresh outside air (recommended) or exhaust the hot air outside the case (meh you'll be trying to cool the liquid with hot inside case air I tried both ways, aio as intake is 100% superior Bitwit also made a video proving this : front intake mounting had -10°C on CPU temp when using the GPU because of the massive heat generated by the gpu backplate)

Last edited: May 18, 2020
  8. PrMinisterGR

PrMinisterGR Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Inno3D RTX 3090
    It's a bit meh, honestly. I wonder what they do in the background with the cpu architecture to get away from this mess.

EspHack, WalterDasTrevas and itpro like this.
  9. Öhr

Öhr Master Guru

GPU:
    AMD RX 5700XT @ H₂O
    Can't wait the justificatiom for this processor on userbenchmark.com!

Undying likes this.
  10. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    There is a small percentage who give their all for 240hz or even more. You can't truly escape 1080p gaming with frames hunting.

EspHack, RzrTrek and Robbo9999 like this.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    Is it just me, or has intel been riding the coat-tails of the Sandy Bridge architecture for the last 10 years?

It just doesn't appear as if they are doing much with their company at all...am I wrong on this?

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  12. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Since they are selling a lot, it isn't a matter that needs special attention. They do what they need to do to dominate the market with minimal innovation. Risk free approach perhaps?

13. Vmhasegawa

Vmhasegawa Member

GPU:
    Sapphire RX 480 8gb
    Happy to hear it, it was kind of a douche move to ignore the european media and give all attention to US and Asia, really looking forward for a reliable review. I know those leaks are always sketchy, I mean they didn't even follow Intel's embargo, how reliable can they be?

I haven't touched an Intel CPU since... an i5 7400? Not really sure. Everything after has been AMD. Not very thrilled by the 14++++ and the lack of a big architetural overhaul to clear up those security flaws, but we'll see what they were capable with what they have in hands

I think Skylake saw some sort of overhaul or change, nothing too significant but they definitely changed something there. But after Skylake... Yeah I guess not much has changed

14. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Still waiting on Hilbert's review to even form an opinion.

jbscotchman, Mesab67 and Solfaur like this.
  15. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    It is always function of voltage and clock. Comparison would not be so bad at something like fixed 4GHz. But then price point of chip in article would not be attractive at all.

itpro likes this.

16. BReal85

BReal85 Master Guru

GPU:
    Sapph RX 570 4G ITX
    3900X: $410 with less power consumption
    10900K: $488

That's a massive no. And Zen 3 is some months away, which will likely see another 15% IPC boost.

itpro likes this.
  17. metagamer

metagamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus Dual 4070 OC
    3900x obvious choice if you use the cores
    10900k obvious choice for gaming

As for Zen 3, it'll be the last one on AM4+. For me that's a hard pass for that reason.

18. toyo

toyo Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 1070Ti 8G
    Corona render test 3900X vs 10900K, unlisted video:

19. WalterDasTrevas

WalterDasTrevas Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte GTX970 oc
    Another reheated meal. Gold-painted beans do not become magic beans.

20. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Perhaps this will be the first time Intel getting embarrassed after AMD FX-5X/FX-60 (s939/s940) series back in the day, when they couldn't even respond for a while, total pwnage again after 15+ years.