Rapid Mode causing External Drive issues.

Discussion in 'SSD and HDD storage' started by Blackfyre, May 18, 2020.

1. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    I have the follow:

Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB
    2Tb WD Black
    4Tb Seagate Ironwolf
    4Tb WD External Drive
    4Tb Seagate External Drive

I narrowed down what was causing my issue with the underlined Seagate External Drive. Every single time I enable Rapid Mode for my 860 EVO, the 4Tb Seagate External Drive will not open and I get this error code:
    If I disable Rapid Mode and restart, problem solved. Tested for 1 straight month without using Rapid Mode if the HDD shows any errors or any signs of issues, and nothing. Enable Rapid Mode again on my Samsung SSD (which should have nothing to do with my other drives), and the same issue is back now.

The other way to temporarily solve this problem is have Rapid Mode on, but after every boot, unplug and plug back in the Samsung External Drive to solve this issue.

I hope someone knows of a solution, or why this problem happens with Rapid Mode enabled.

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    the solution is to report it to samsung so they can make a solution.

Blackfyre likes this.
  3. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Yep, will do. Was just wondering if there is a solution out there already, as quick googling hadn't resulted in me finding anything.

4. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Uninstall and install magician software.

Do check your storage controller drivers to see if there is any updated driver as an old driver with the new software may potentially cause an issue.

5. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Had the same issue with 1909 before clean formatting and moving on 2004 around a month ago. So it's not an uninstall / reinstall of the program issue.

As for driver updates, I have an Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER. Drivers are all up to date from Snappy Driver Installer.

Caesar likes this.
  6. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Sounds like you've reached the the i/o limits of what your motherboard can use, how much ram do you have, ive used rapid mode on a previous samsung drive.....think it was an 850 evo 2tb though....it died shortly after but it also used system resources to achieve its speed which i think is your issue, Im assuming you have a usb hd caddy for your external drive...do you use you pc`s front or rear ports, also do you use Asus`s ram disk .

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    Caesar likes this.
  7. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Thanks for the response. I have 16Gb of RAM.

Both external drives are 3.5" and externally powered. Both plugged directly into the motherboard (rear ports).

No I do not uses Asus' RAM disk.

The issue is ONLY with the Seagate 4TB Drive, and only when Rapid Mode is enabled.

If when first powering the PC, I login quickly and go straight into the HDD before Magician boots up in startup, then it also works fine until the next shut down. If I miss the previous step but I unplug it and plug it back in it also works fine. If I turn Rapid Mode OFF, it also works fine without any issues too.

8. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    Motherboard?
    Specs

9. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Its in his 3rd post...Asus MAXIMUS VII RANGER...its a z97 chipset.

Caesar likes this.
  10. The Goose

The Goose Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Rtx3080 SuprimX
    Is your 860evo your boot drive, have you tried just that drive and your external drive running(un plug the rest)

11. Caesar

Caesar Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4070 Gaming X
    So, you are you on Insider build 2004 actually.

Have you installed drivers from board manufacturer websites or from 3rd party ;)crappy driver installer?
    -------------------------------------
    From BIOS :
    USB Configuration> IntelxHCI Mode> Swith from Smart Auto to Auto/Enabled.

Install this: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/do...100-Series-and-Intel-C220-C610-Chipset-Family
    --------------------------------------
    I guess also that you are running at default values in CPU/memory configuration in BIOS.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  12. Blackfyre

Blackfyre Maha Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090
    Memory is on XMP profile. CPU is at a stable 4.6Ghz.

Yes, as you quoted me from earlier. I was on 1909, had this issue with that one external drive and Rapid Mode (it was there from before 1909 days too with Rapid Mode enabled).

I moved to 2004 Insider, and the issue remains. It's not an OS version issue, not something new. I just didn't know it was Rapid Mode that was causing the issue in the past.

Drivers on a 7+ year old motherboard from the manufacturer site for that board will be completely out of date, and most not be optimised for the latest versions of Windows 10.

Drivers from Snappy Driver Installer are not 3rd Party drivers, they are from ASUS, compatible with my board, but from later or different motherboards that use the same chips that have remained updated for longer periods than my product.

For the sake of testing, downloading the drivers from ASUS page for my board for Windows 10 (most of the drivers are from 2015 on that page), they all refuse to install notifying me that I have a newer version of the driver installed already and do not need to downgrade.

Tried to install this and it said it was not compatible with my Operating System. The driver is for Windows 7, not for Windows 10.

Okay thank you for this suggestion. I will try it today and see if I have it on Smart Auto, and change it to Auto/Enabled. Will report back if it does fix the issue.

EDIT: Regarding the final step: It was already on Enabled, change it to Auto, didn't fix the issue with that drive, also tried smart auto. Same outcome. Note that of all the drives, it is only the Seagate External Drive that has this issue with Rapid Mode. Oh and yes, I've tried plugging into different ports at the back too, in case it was that port that had the issue for some reason when Rapid Mode is enabled.

Last edited: May 19, 2020