New consoles help design the PCs of the future, says Tim Sweeney, the CEO of Epic

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 15, 2020.

1. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    tim moved to opposite land quite a few years ago

2. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Sweeny is comparing apples to oranges.
    Apart from that PC's always have stronger hardware available he also completely ignores that console manufacturers earn from game sales and not the hardware itself.

https://blog.us.playstation.com/202...ls-of-playstation-5-hardware-technical-specs/

Looking at the specs also shows low CPU frequency and RDNA 2 implementation using 16GB shared system memory.
    Nvme PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD that can handle 5GB/s read are available for PC's too, not to forget that they can be setup in raid.
    Btw. didn't Sony claim 9GB/s to start with?
    And how does RAW read translate to random read at given block sizes?

Last edited: May 16, 2020
  3. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I really think the 16GB of GDDR6 that is shared system memory between GPU and the rest of the system combined with how they have probably integrated the 5GB/s SSD into all that.....then this is something that PC's don't have, they don't have this kind of high speed integration between all the different types of storage that is used by the different components, so I think this is a pretty big part of that demo being feasible. I am a bit scared for PC's in this regard, it feels like the whole concept of how a PC is integrated would need to be rethought if it wants to be able to have the same capabilities. This is mainly a hunch of mine based on a bit of knowledge in different areas, but it looks like it could be push for change....but who is gonna change the whole way a PC is integrated just so that it game better, because PC's are not just gaming machines, might not be enough driving force to swing it in that direction.

4. gerardfraser

gerardfraser Guest

GPU:
    R9 290 Crossfire
    I am a PC guy and I would not even let a console enter my domain ,ever. Still the console version of the video looked good ,not enough for me to ever buy a console,even if they were free I would not take it. I get the console guys will love the new gear and hope they have fun with the console.

5. Alessio1989

Alessio1989 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Tim Sweeney simply like to rants, as always. Also, give him a new toy and pay him to play with it, just like Carmack, and he well say it's the best revolutionary thing of the world. Change his toy with a new one and he will rants against the previous.

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Well at least Carmack know what he is talking about unlike Sweeney.

7. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    vader.gif

fantaskarsef and vbetts like this.
  8. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I mean...Epic did create the giant that is Fortnite and also Unreal Engine which is used a lot in many different areas. Hard to say he doesn't know what he's doing no matter what you actually think about the guy.

9. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070
    Last edited: May 17, 2020
  10. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB

11. WhiteLightning

WhiteLightning Don Illuminati Staff Member

GPU:
    Inno3d RTX4070

It could be a elephant right ?! right ?!??

jbscotchman and Loobyluggs like this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    Damn, thats uh... Yea...:(

Loobyluggs likes this.
  13. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    Well, the X570 chipset has a direct path between at least one Nvme to the CPU, so no difference there, plus that AMD surely releases better GPU's for the PC pretty soon.
    As for system shared memory being GDDR6, that will not affect performance a lot, should add less latency, but it is still only 16GB shared memory, so that will require quite some optimization @4K and even more at 8K, we all do know at what cost that comes at.
    Not saying console are bad, in most cases they do actually a lot better than any PC for the same price, besides providing a more stable experience caused by hardware being consistent under their lifespan, at the same time, that consistency is what holds developers back from doing proper pc ports, Microsoft should think a bit about game implementation on Windows, there surely must be a way to make it way more seamless to get console titles to PC and still be able to get the extras that newer gen hardware provides without introducing bad platform clone behavior.

14. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    The developer?
    That is H.R. Giger's artwork, and not even close to some of his more provoking pieces.

15. Robbo9999

Robbo9999 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3080
    I find that X-box footage a lot less technically impressive than the PS5 demo. I'm sure the new CPU power helps, but I still think the most fundamental difference between PC and console in terms of PS5 is that 'totally integrated' storage (SSD) & GDDR6 system, that fact is not getting away from me.
    I still think that whole 'integrated storage/shared GDDR6' system of the PS5 is the main difference and main challenge to PC, but we'll see how it pans out with the next gen from NVidia to see if they can pull off the same feats or better than that PS5 demo. To me it was the shear number of triangles & scene detail that I found impressive, I'm not sure if PC will be able to do that.

16. Corrupt^

Corrupt^ Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Geforce RTX 3090 FE
    I believe next gen consoles could be better if done right, but only for a short period. Eventually PC's will overtake them again and steamroll ahead, simply because PC's change every year, consoles are static for X years.

fantaskarsef likes this.
  17. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    The developer used it, and put it in the trailer.

Issues.

18. Mineria

Mineria Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RTX 3080 Ti
    What exact is the issue with biomechanical reproduction fantasy that is displayed in a horror game appearing in the games trailer?

19. Cyberdyne

Cyberdyne Guest

GPU:
    2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra
    It will be years before devs bother to take advantage of this. Sony themselves will still be limited by the PS4 for a while. Third-party devs will likely never take advantage of it, they also want their games on Xbox and PC. It's like thinking that the CELL processor in the PS3 should mean we are all on IBM CPU's by now. Granted, the PS5 SSD won't be hard to program for like the CELL, but beyond the PS5 shaving off a second of loading time i wouldn't expect anything more.

20. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If I need to explain it to you...

jbscotchman likes this.