Help with GTA 4 (complete edition) CHOPPINESS after about a minute of gameplay

Discussion in 'Games, Gaming & Game-demos' started by oscare30, May 14, 2020.

1. oscare30

oscare30 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    So since the newest update to GTA IV (were The DLC became free and got merged with the main game) I have this odd issue were after about a minute of gameplay the frame rate gets consistently choppy. Its weird....the FPS stays the same but it looks like the game is dropping every other frame! If I go into the game settings and turn the refresh rate down to 59 then the issue goes away ...but then comes back again after about a minute. Rinse repeat...the same result.

Before Rockstar decided to do this update and I was just playing this thru STEAM there was never this issue.

My core specs are as follows EVGA 1080ti with the latest drivers, i7 3770K O.C to 4.3 and 16gigs of ram. The game is installed on a 1TB SSD.

This is the ONLY game I have this issue with

ANYBODY else have this issue??? Any help is really appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    GTA4 is cpu bound, turn your pedestrian sliders down.

3. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    Is not your CPU.

enable steam ingame interface and the problem will disappear.

4. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti

5. Undying

Undying Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX RX6800XT 16GB
    You wont get rid of stuttering even if you upgrade to 9900k. The way its meant to be played.

6. Dragam1337

Dragam1337 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 4090 Gaming OC
    Using g-sync with an fps cap lower than the hz of your monitor fixes this.

7. oscare30

oscare30 Active Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Believe it or not turning ON the STEAM Overlay actually made the problem disappear(Maldo, I actually figured this out before you posted but thank you for the response)....but WHY?

I also have a frame cap in the NVIDIA settings at 60 plus using Nvidia V-Sunc ( In game V sync turned off)

Why the hell is this game coded so badly!

8. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    i remember this game needed a core2quad at 2,4 to run nicely, the first game that actually needed a quad core cpu to run as i remember

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    This game doesn't use multicore at all.

10. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    I couldn t run it with a core2duo back then, so it needs a core2quad as i said...

11. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    lol...no.

12. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    what do u mean? no, i had core2duo and this game wouldn t even load , so don t tell me no..

13. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    i played the entire game on a X6800 core 2 duo and when i upgraded to a Q6600 I gained no increased performance. A friend of mine played the entire game on an E6300 overclocked to 3.4GHz also. I seems this issue might of bee on your end.

14. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    It cannot be that my gpu was the problem...

15. KissSh0t

KissSh0t Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ASUS 3060 OC 12GB
    Has Games For Widows Live been removed from GTA 4 yet?

16. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    I doubt it, the game was programmed with single core CPU's in mind. As at the time CPU's were still focused on the "GHz race" and companies were still just "gluing CPU's together" to make multicore chips and not to forget that Windows XP and Vista didn't really have great multithreading support. Then there is the move to DX10 API from DX9 which was used for yearss which allowed hardware to be pretty damn optimised for it. Then also factor in Games For Windows Live on top as well.

There were too many variables with this game. The performance I got with both of those CPU's wasn't great by any means.

17. ramthegamer

ramthegamer Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac Trinity 3080
    It was the only game i couldn t run on my system:
    Core2duo 3.0
    4gb ram
    Gt8600
    Couldn t run this game at all...

18. Turanis

Turanis Guest

GPU:
    Gigabyte RX500
    Well,do not ask what forum do for you,ask what do you for Forum.
    So,put this in your exec game dir(extract and put all x64 or x32 files).Try this in every game who have low performance.
    https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases

And do not forget to put Shadows on medium-low,because medium+ will depend on cpu,because consoles 30fps,etc.
    And use High Power plan.

Last edited: May 17, 2020
  19. MaLDo

MaLDo Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX1080
    in the first version of the game, there was a constant judder in cinematics that was fixed when open the xbox live ingame panel.

people that discuss cpu or gpu problems are not aware of the problem you was suffering. It’s the game that has problems synchronizing timers. Steam overlay fixes the problem.

20. ant_sh

ant_sh Member

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12gb
    After some research I came to the conclusion that the game itself is not the culprit here and choppiness/stutter is clearly a renderer issue as many people report that enabling steam overlay helped them and – surprise - DXVK works magic on GTA IV, e.g. even translating Direct3D calls to Vulkan is faster and has consistent fps+frametime! So I researched further and found that this crappy legacy D3D/DDraw renderer problem is very common with older games. It is usually solved by:

1. Fixing native Windows D3D9 renderer with DDrawCompat – game looks as intended, gameplay is pretty smooth
    2. Avoiding crappy native renderer altogether and translating output to superior DX11, OpenGL or Vulkan renderers – game looks nearly as intended, gameplay is silky smooth, 3-5 fps may be lost in translation 8) but DXVK method may even yield fps!
    I tried different methods from two groups above with GTA IV and they were the only reliable ones that helped to achieve smooth gameplay and consistent frametime in Algonquin.

So here’s quick-n-dirty method that fixes native D3D renderer

• Install Ultimate ASI Loader (already installed in FitGirl repack)
    • Download dxwrapper, unpack dxwrapper.asi/.ini into GTA IV folder or plugins subfolder
    • Edit dxwrapper.ini
      [Compatibility]
      DDrawCompat = 1
    • ATTENTION: DDrawCompat on multi-core CPU will load 1st core at 100% by default. To load cores evenly the following must be enabled in dxwrapper.ini:
      [DDrawCompat]
      DDrawCompatNoProcAffinity = 1
    • Optionally may enable antialiasing here if it is not already enabled in nVidia/AMD driver settings:
      [d3d9]
      AntiAliasing = 1
    For extensive research of different methods to fix choppiness and stutters in GTA IV see my blog post