Television Discussion

Discussion in 'The Guru's Pub' started by stereoman, Apr 6, 2019.

1. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    I always slag off SyFy mainly because they keep cancelling good shows but credit where its due... Finally started watching Channel Zero today and I'm only 2 episodes in on S1 and I rather like it! Its not really my kind of show as I've basically given up on the horror genre but there's something about this show that works for me.

2. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Well the sister is running the family business not him which is why the father said to not involve the son in the business. You saw the Italians in their home address him at first as the new boss, then when the sister spoke up she got thrown to the ground as in how dare she talk. But who goes to Italy to deal with the Don? The sister.
    She then used him, by putting him on that ship as an insurance that the shipment would not be touched. This obviously backfired when the grandson mobster is scheming behind his grandfathers back.

Everything about this show reeks of Gomorrah. The camera shots, the use of music, the complete lack of humor, family in-fighting etc.

3. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    Now that i have replaced my old Samsung BD player i can fully enjoy movies without hiccups & sound interruptions again. Started on watching ALL marvel hero movies all over again. Really forgot how good Iron Man 1 was.

4. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800

5. Repo Man

Repo Man Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060Ti
    Just finished The Mandalorian on Disney+ ( yeah yeah late I know, only because the UK is lagging behind a bit ) and I loved the heck out of it! This show is more Star Wars than anything that came after the original trilogy if you ask me. It expands on the cinematic universe while remaining familiar and true to the spirit. It wasn't without a fault but it just felt homely and cozy while being something new and different. Highly recommended, doubly so if you like Star Wars

Angantyr likes this.
  6. Angantyr

Angantyr Master Guru

GPU:
    MSI 2070 Super X
    I'm currently in the process of watching Gangs of London, I'm on episode 6 out of 9 and based on what I've watched so far, I'll fully recommend this show.
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7661390/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_3

It's by Gareth Evans ( The Raid & The Raid 2 ). The show has some amazing choreographed and equally violent fight scenes.

+ one random fight scene

7. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    I didn't go through this whole thread so sorry if someone posted about this already, but has anyone here watched the Harley Quinn animated series? I think it's the best superhero (or villain) thing I've seen since the old Batman TV show (1966).

8. scatman839

scatman839 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    3080, KD55XD800
    Oh yeah it's really good, I keep forgetting to watch it so I probably have 3 episodes by now.

9. Nijohc

Nijohc Master Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 8GB
    Been watching 'Vikings' on amazon prime, enjoyed it but started to go a bit astray after a certain character died, don't know if I'll finish it, just at start of season 6 but not enjoying it as much as I did.

10. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Season 3 of Westworld was a complete waste of time.

11. Redemption80

Redemption80 Guest

GPU:
    GALAX 970/ASUS 970
    Argh, Was considering watching that.

Saying that, I thought season 2 was also a waste of time so expectations were already lowered.

12. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    Rumor is season 3 of Dark will air in June.

13. ShadowDuke

ShadowDuke Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX Radeon RX 6600
    Not a rumor, its been cristal clear latest at the end of season 2 that the 3rd season will start at the beginning of the 3rd cycle on 27th June 2020. (Well ok, a rumor then because its not "official" but stil...it will be aired 27.06.20)

Started to watch "The Vietnam War" a few days ago and already am at episode 7. Man, really great documentation. IMDB #20 btw.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
  14. HeavyHemi

HeavyHemi Guest

GPU:
    GTX1080Ti
    Size_Mick, XP-200 and fantaskarsef like this.
  15. Amaze

Amaze Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus 4070 ti TUF
    There it is

ShadowDuke likes this.

16. XP-200

XP-200 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI Radeon RX 6400
    "The series will follow Pike, Spock, and Number One in the decade before Captain Kirk boarded the U.S.S. Enterprise as they explore new worlds around the galaxy."

Now this is more like it, at last we get the chance to see Pike, the Enterprise and crew before Kirk, why they did not go this route from the start i don't know, pure Star Trek lore with a cherry on top, they can't mess this up, it is almost impossible, The Enterprise, a 5/10 year mission, Pike and crew, and they can go even more Trek lore and also bring in Cap April on screen in the charactors first live outing on the screen.

Size_Mick and fantaskarsef like this.
  17. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Exploring. I hope they keep it true... Explorer episode of the week sounds more like TOS and TNG than the other shows... and that I would so much prefer over any long shot plot line which is just lacking. At least they can have a shot at excellence every week that way.

XP-200 likes this.
  18. Size_Mick

Size_Mick Master Guru

GPU:
    Asus GTX 1070 8GB
    Oh goody, maybe we'll finally get to see what happened (will have happened?) on Rigel VII!

There is room for both episodic content and serialization in any good series, IMO. Of course the problem with serialization on its own is that the ending of the series will define the entire thing. Like with Game of Thrones -- the last season and particularly the last couple of episodes wound up making a lot of us feel like we had wasted a huge amount of time watching that series. Which of course we did, but it wasn't supposed to feel like we did. Incidentally, the IMDB score for the last episode is 4.1 currently.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  19. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    It's quite stupid really and I swear was just setup to be an anti-american slant on cosmology

20. The Laughing Ma

The Laughing Ma Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte 4070ti
    Yup just watched the entire series over two days while recovering from an eye injury. Really enjoyed it hopefully you've seen the movie that the series is based on as it makes the 7th episode so much better. Plus it's got Matt Berry in it so you know it's going to be awesome.

Edit

Damn just found out that BBC I Player has the second series of this show up.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2020