Unreal Engine 5 revealed - Epic Games engine for future generation

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by XenthorX, May 13, 2020.

1. Stormyandcold

Stormyandcold Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX3080ti Founders
    Good demo and decent advert for PS5. However, if this is the best they can come up with (2k30), then, that's not that impressive from a PC gaming perspective.

Stating RTX2070 Super as equivalent also gives PC gamers a ballpark gpu requirement to match PS5 in it's current state.

It's telling me that PC RDNA2.0 is going to be really powerful, but, the consoles didn't get that (RDNA2.0 = 1.5x RTX2080ti?) version of it. Brings expectations back down to earth for PS5 and Series X.

EDIT: The prime limitation is obviously not the speed of the individual components, as it's already reached considerable fidelity with what they're proposing hardware-wise. Storage space is going to really limit what they can offer. I certainly don't see longer playtime/content in games compared to what we've already got. Just better looking.

We might need to look at things a different way, where perhaps prime assets are natively rendered, but, the world data itself is streamed then rendered natively, rather than existing natively on hdd. A hybrid perhaps of native rendering with streaming to overcome storage limitations.

Possibilities like in-game tv/monitors that are actually streaming live content, rather than playback.

It all begs the question of when a game like in Ready Player One would be popular enough to incorporate/integrate with everything else. A kind of Ultimate game of all games.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
    craycray likes this.
  2. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    @PrMinisterGR
    I will say horizon zero dawn, looks amazing in other other places even more so and ran silky smooth for 30 fps game which is rare and that as on base ps4.

PrMinisterGR likes this.
  3. CPC_RedDawn

CPC_RedDawn Ancient Guru

GPU:
    PNY RTX4090
    How is me not being impressed by the demo "taking what I see for granted?" its actually the complete opposite. I was impressed by the textures and that's really it.

I don't take anything for granted when it comes to console game reveals, or tech demo/engine reveals. We have been burnt way too many times before. With stuff like Killzone 2 and that entire year really by Sony. Microsoft using PC footage and passing it off as Xbox gameplay. And of course Epic showing off their engines in the past and games never living up to the "tech demos" like the infamous "Infiltrator demo" games even today look nowhere near that even on PC.

I always take everything I see at conferences and trailers etc, etc with a massive dollop of salt. They are trying to sell you something and they will do anything within their power to get your money.

What amazes me is that people look at this and they DO take it for granted and the casuals are now expecting the next GTA to look like this and be using all 8K textures with CGI movie quality assets. When in reality if you added in A.I, NPC's, Combat, More Animations, Buildings, Cars, and more explosions and particle effects that quality will have to drop somewhere along the line.

I would be more impressed if they came out and said this is only using 25% or lower of the PS5 hardware.... Then I maybe could be more impressed.

4. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Bunch of armchair experts in these forums, as usual.

metagamer and anxious_f0x like this.

5. Venix

Venix Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Rtx 4070 super
    @Stormyandcold hmm 1.5 2080 ti ? The only thing that might made such claim might be the new Xbox the ps5 has the same shader count as the 5700xt that's really close to the 2070s performance wise if you count some ipc gains here and there with a bit lower clocks to keep the ps5 power targets in shane levels the 2070s seems a realistic target. The Xbox on the other hand seems to have a much beefier gpu but 1,5 2080ti seems way too optimistic .

6. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Let's calm down with the insults.

DeskStar likes this.
  7. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    OMFG, I just realised something!

NINTENDO USE UNREAL ENGINE

I can only imagine what this would mean for Zelda...or...Mario Kart, driving though caverns seeing the rocks roll off the side of the track with the wheels narrowly missing the drop.

If that doesn't grab you, how about Metroid Prime?

Nintendo need new hardware and probably have got some plans to replace the Switch soon (it has been nearly 4 years) and Nintendo always said the Switch was NOT a successor to the Wii-U anyway*

Anyways, it's been hard to sleep from my perspective, all this new tech and algorithms for mesh manipulation is potent stuff for my brain :)

Trello

*citation

8. EspHack

EspHack Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ATI/HD5770/1GB
    I'm both happy and sad about this, happy that we finally have this tech, sad that we had to wait all this time to finally start properly utilizing solid drives, thanks to consoles...

now lets hope they actually pack a decent enough rt unit, otherwise thats another crucial feature being nerfed into nothingness for another ten years

9. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    nintendo will never use an external engine for their flagships.

10. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Base PS4 has had some issues maintaining that 30fps. Played the whole game on both systems and is much better on the pro for sure.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    They already use it

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Yoshi is not a flagship title.

13. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Not sure exactly what a flagship title is, but it is a first party title made by Nintendo for their platform from a long line of series and well known characters. I would say it's serious enough.

yasamoka and XenthorX like this.
  14. tsunami231

tsunami231 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    EVGA 1070Ti Black
    yes it does but for most part it dont and from framepacing stand point has almost non cause to me 30 fps game with no framepacing issue is "almost" as good as game that 60fps and that rare thing to happen it took me while to fiqure out HZD wasnt 60fps cause of how good the framepacing was atlest from my experience with it on the base ps4

I sure everything is better on pro infact I know it is as i had one, but the coil whine issue cause the sup par psu sony is put thing them made me returned 4 which span 3 models and pro before i said I rather use my base ps4 cause I wasnt gona be able to deal with it coil whine issue even the current model has the issue.

15. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    rdna2 is looking impressive.

DeskStar likes this.

16. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    That's not an insult. That's an observation.

17. vbetts

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    I'm counting it as an insult. This is not a suggestion either.

18. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
  19. yasamoka

yasamoka Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Zotac RTX 3090
    Count it whatever you like, I was clear in what I said.

20. DeskStar

DeskStar Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 3080Ti/3090FTW
    Never had any issues with either of the PRO's I own except for being damn loud.