Is the VRAM on my Vega 56 Sapphire Nitro+ Bad?

Discussion in 'Videocards - AMD Radeon' started by xubeiga, May 8, 2020.

1. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Hi guys! I gotta ask a question here about overclocking on this gpu.

I have a RX Vega 56 Sapphire Nitro+.
    The thing is, i watched a lot of videos on how to overclock this GPU and people with this GPU overclocks its VRAM to something like 900MHZ (or even more).

I learned that the voltage of the vram on this gpu are fixed, on vega 56 is 1.250v and 64 is 1.350v.
    I tried overclocking my gpu vram to 900mhz and it crashes. the games starts to show a lot of artifacts so 900mhz isnt stable on my gpu.
    i found stable to be 830mhz only.
    But why only 830mhz?

Was i really really unlucky on buying a bad unity of this gpu? Or am i doing something wrong?
    How can people OC Vram on this gpu to 900mhz or more and i can only to 830mhz?

2. JonasBeckman

JonasBeckman Ancient Guru

GPU:
    XFX 7900XTX M'310
    It's a Vega 56 so it has less voltage and there's been a practice of doing Vega 64 bios flashing to get the voltage up to the higher amount.
    My own Vega 56 Pulse OC ended up at 850 Mhz from 800 Mhz default although it could perhaps have gone a bit higher.

Also use GPU-Z and check if you have Hynix or Samsung memory, Samsung tends to overclock better whereas Hynix errors out more easily though some users still hit 900 on it but there's a lot of variability here for each GPU and only the Vega 64 is guaranteed be Samsung HBM.

900 - 950 is a nice small boost but not guaranteed, Samsung is also variable but even here with the better binned chips that Vega 64 flash and the extra voltage might be needed to hit 950 or higher and the memory can be sensitive to driver updates and just overall degradation over time if it's pushed too hard such as reports from users being required to lower the initial overclock results from 1100 - 1050 down to 1050 - 1000 or more.

But yeah HBM2 here having at least two separate models and manufacturers, different binning and varying level of quality and thus different overclock results which yes it can vary heavily and some don't overclock much or even at all over defaults and others might degrade over time if pushed too hard despite initially seemingly being stable.

Two separate voltage levels as well and at least back then the way to get the higher Vega 64 voltage used bios flashing which with a dual bios switch and backups is less risky but still a possible risk plus even with the higher voltage there's no guarantee for getting that much further depending on the quality of the HBM2 memory.

Oh and if it's Hynix HBM2 you should avoid the bios flash, it's riskier since the Vega 64's use Samsung modules so that's also a difference and one reason as to why I didn't attempt a bios flash in addition to the general risk of trying to flash the Vega 56 itself. :)

xubeiga and Caesar like this.
  3. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    Thanks for your answer my friend, very detailed! ;)
    I checked on GPU-Z and it is indeed Hynix. Ive read some other people having low overclocks frequencies with Hynix, so i guess i just lost the lottery.
    Unfortunately nothing i can do and the max i can hit is 830mhz but thats fine
    thanks again! ;)

4. Dener de Paula Pereira

Dener de Paula Pereira Member Guru

GPU:
    Vega 56 Pulse
    Will you flash it?
    My vega is a pulse with hynix memory and i'll be able to oc the hbm to 950mhz

5. xubeiga

xubeiga Active Member

GPU:
    Vega 56
    No, i wont flash it for sure