AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    It's pretty evident that AMD has been forced to shift - it doesn't make sense for AMD to make Ryzen 4000 a single generation chipset part right before releasing AM5, I doubt that was the plan.

It does make investing in Ryzen 4000 a mistake unless you already have an X570 board though.

2. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Why it doesn't make sense? Theres always the single generation chipset for the last CPU of each socket if they release both the chipset and cpu at the same time. It makes more sense to release Ryzen 4000 as AM4 if it doesn't support DDR5 and having the new socket support DDR5 (if rumor were correct that Zen 4 will support DDR 5)

3. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    What is really to blame is twofold, AMD not specifically stating that chipset support is not the same as socket support and the majority of review sites not using the compatibility slide shown above. Techpowerup and LegitReviews were the only ones to even show this slide. Techpowerup showed this slide in their article about the launch of the B450 motherboards July 31, 2018. LegitReviews showed this slide in an article on April 16, 2019 about compatibility for Matisse, Ryzen2. The fact that Gamers Nexus is not aware of this slide is inexcusable. That video referred to an article from December of 2017 as proof of AMD's deplorable marketing department's failure. Techpowerup's version of the slide showed that it was under embargo until July 31, 2018:
    [​IMG]

It is sad that this really is showcasing failures at all levels not only from AMD themselves but also from review sites that consumers trust. Talk about a situation that is truly fubar.

4. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    The only arguable point is that they have disclaimer at the bottom saying it is subject to change. They did claim you can upgrade the CPU for the same socket without buying a new motherboard, not indicating anything related to the chipset used in the motherboard.

5. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    Also in the fine print it says until 2020...so chipset argument for Ryzen3 is rendered moot.

6. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    I would agree with sentiment in case one is moving from intel.
    But as Zen2 owner, I intend to skip 1st generation of AM5+DDR5 due to expected price point. I know that it will have quite some benefits, but I have quite reasonable system for now.
    If anything, I could buy Zen3 CPU, in case ASRock decides to enable me to use them without some penalty.

And that's thing for AM4 users. Those who will be able to upgrade without buying new MB will have quite good upgrade without spending much.
    And I say that if they deliver ANY compatible CPU after chipset is released, that is better than best they had at time of chipset launch, they managed to deliver on given promise.

It does not state MB will have upgrade CPU every year. It exclusively states ability to upgrade w/o change of MB.
    Which when taken through pure logic will fail only in case AMD releases new AM4 chipset after we get last generation of AM4 CPUs.
    (And from logic point of view, it is not even covered by 2020 end of product development.)

Solution would be simple. AMD does not release any new AM4 chipsets. This way all existing chipsets will have at least one generation of CPUs to upgrade to.
    But hey, what about all those companies producing MBs? Are they not getting their part of pie? No Sorry.
    (No support on older chipsets is of almost no financial benefit for AMD at cost of goodwill. But no support for older chipsets is of great financial benefit to MB makers. And if AMD takes the blame on top of it...)

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    True, but the point is that doesn't really make sense for anybody to invest in Ryzen 4000 unless they already have a compatible motherboard since any new motherboard purchase (say, B550) will have an extremely short life. The whole point of having forward compatibility is to increase the amount of people who can potentially upgrade to new CPUs.

As a result, the potential audience for a Ryzen 4000 is pretty small. Literally just that small subset of enthusiasts who don't already have a decent CPU/motherboard and can't wait until AM5. Or X570 owners.

8. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Yea, well, im planning to upgrade straight to X570 (or X670?) with Zen 4, my CPU and GPU is way outdated. Want to upgrade my PC to play Cyberpunk. Not going to get AM5 / Zen4 since the DDR5 price would be expensive i think

9. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    You'd be a member of that 'small subset' that I talked about, in that case. For most people who already have a B350, B450 or whatever chipset, it maybe makes a little less sense to upgrade.

In my case, I'll upgrade my 2700 to a 3900 at some hypothetical point in time when prices are lower rather than invest in B550/X570 + Ryzen 4000.

10. chanw4

chanw4 Guest

GPU:
    NITRO+ RX6800XT SE
    Yea, im agreeing with you that theres not much incentive to people to upgrade if they already own B350 / B450 / X470 MB.

11. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Another thing that makes little sense to me is 6xx series chipset more importantly x670 why would they make this AM4? The only major benefits of a new chipset is newer tech such as USB4.0 more M.2 ports and more M.2 ontop of other things. Wouldn't this be more beneficial as a AM5 board for Zen4 considering Zen4 is going to be a major release and needs a new board anyway. And also since AMD is moving away from AM4 at the end of this year so this would be a waste in my mind. https://www.tweaktown.com/news/69997/amd-zen-3-600-series-chipset-usb-4-support-late-2020/index.html

I also agree because if it were me I would stick with Zen2 or Zen3 when AM5/DDR5 comes out because you don't know what kind of issues the boards and their BIOSes are going to have. Also Zen1 had memory compatibility issues so there might be a chance that AM5/DDR5 might as well. Also with me I am going with Zen2 because it will be cheaper than when Zen3 launches.

12. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    Because it is best to release a new chipset every year, at least to remain competitive. I sure would not want the 990FX being the top for 5 years type of crap, again. :) They also are giving the OEM's a reason to produce more product and that is always a good thing.

13. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I guess that makes sense.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Here is some insight on why the chipsets below b550 won't support Zen3 (but the chipset is capable of it). Some of you might find it interesting but take it how you will.

15. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    I can say with utmost certainty that most of the limitations cited by steve in that video DO NOT EXIST.

16. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    How do you know? It seems like it to me that you have no idea what you are talking about. He got his information from actual BIOS manufacturers. They know what they are talking about. Steve's information makes sense to me. To quote Anonymous Rep#2 "Regarding community feedback for the BIOS code unless you write BIOS for a living, don't comment on what you don't know."

17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    So, what? Who are to blame? AMD? Manufactures? Both? BIOS itself should get removed from existence and engineers should invent the BIOS2 with support up to X unlimited cpu skus?

18. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    Both, for sure.

Bios is UEFI now, you can boot a chip directly into protected or long mode, the crap steves going on about would only apply to legacy bios / compatibillty mode and starting up first in real mode.

If you think real bios manufacturers would talk directly to a youtuber you're cute.

I've seen the structure inside countless bios roms and know how modular they happen to be, there is nothing about matisse or pre-matisse that would make a difference in how the Bios and its UI as well as optionroms (or signed modules) would be executed once the cpu is already booted (And the AGESA boot code is nowhere near maxing out 8MB's yet)

PS: Bios manufacturers are the likes of award, AMI, Intel and Insyde.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  19. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    You're cute that you didn't watch the video at all and you still talking nonsense.

20. user1

user1 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Mi25/IGP
    no hes not, just look up protected/unreal mode/long mode, steve basically claims that first gen ryzen can only load agesa in some weird memory restricted memory mode, which is kind of ... odd, to say the least, I wonder if it has something to do with the platform security processor(if its true).

not that it really matters, since the problem with bios size has more to do with the fancy graphics and other flashy junk.