Backblaze Shares Hard Drive Stats for Q1 2020

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    As of March 31, 2020, Backblaze had 132,339 spinning hard drives in their cloud storage ecosystem spread across four data centers. Of that number, there were 2,380 boot drives and 129,959 data drives....

Backblaze Shares Hard Drive Stats for Q1 2020

2. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I'm pleased they have the HGST HUH728080ALE600 helium drive in the table as I have one, its nice to see how it holds up.
    Unfortunate you cant buy them retail any more, I was lucky to get mine and a later 10 series helium.

My 08 helium series drive runs a lot hotter than the 10 series drive, I wonder if that will impact the failure rate. ie will the 10 series be even more reliable?!
    I need to use a fan on the 08 drive and it still runs hotter than the 10 series without a fan.
    Unfortunately they dont have enough 10 series drives to make the stats tables.

3. jwb1

jwb1 Guest

GPU:
    MSI GTX 2080 Ti
    That's interesting. Helium drives are supposed to run cooler and quieter. I can say the single Seagate Barracuda Pro 12tb drive I have which is helium runs cooler and quieter than my HGST/Toshiba drives.

It looks like Seagate has significantly improved their reliability with newer drives. They are even now offering 5 year warranties. Of course, the Seagates in their chart have higher failures, but they are also running more of them than the other brands.

4. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I bought the 10 series drive first and it runs extremely cool and quiet.
    The 08 series I bought a few months later and was surprised it runs like a normal drive, hotter and a little noisy.
    Perhaps mine has leaked its helium? Its no worse than a standard drive for noise and temp.

5. The Reeferman

The Reeferman Member Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    Sounds plausible. Maybe you can find out what the normal operating temps are and compare them with yours. You kind off already did that with the comparison between your 2 drives. Only the same model would be ideal. I don't know if there is much difference between drives with different number of platters, RPM is the main factor afaik.(beside special gas filled models.)

6. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    I came across this a while back, it took time to locate.
    https://www.backblaze.com/blog/helium-filled-hard-drive-failure-rates/
    They state the Smart 22 value indicates whether the helium has leaked.
    My HUH728080 (He8) drive reports 100 and is not listed as a problem.
    But clicking the Smart 22 link shows above 25 is a fail so it does look like mine is running on normal air.
    Oh well.

However ...
    My HUH721008 (He10) drive also reports 100 and that runs very cool.
    I'm not so certain about this value.

Maybe it works in reverse with 100 meaning 100% helium?
    Which would mean the 728080 drives higher temp is probably normal.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  7. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    I saw the title, thought StarBlazers, got all excited, then realized it is just a hard drive thing and walked away, disappointed. Truth is, their tests are not really relevant anymore since, most who purchase spinners are going to be spending the money on the good stuff, anyways.

8. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    Can you explain what you mean, they use a wide variety of drives including the higher grade helium drives, as mentioned in the posts above.
    Is there another type of good stuff?

9. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    It used to be all about consumer level stuff but now, very little consumer level stuff is sold, anymore. Most are going to be on SAS type drives running in high end work stations and servers, where there is not going to be a garbage drive in site or on site. :)

10. Mufflore

Mufflore Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Aorus 3090 Xtreme
    You said their results are not really relevant any more, but for the readership of sites like Guru they are highly relevant.
    SAS drives see little use in personal machines.

11. k37chup

k37chup Member Guru

GPU:
    Palit 4070
    Watch repair shops, it always Seagate that brings them the most business!

12. Astyanax

Astyanax Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1080ti
    if the seagates are barracuda produced between 2005 and 20012, then sure.