AMD Confirms Ryzen 4000 ‘Zen 3’ Desktop CPU Compatibility With X570 & B550 Motherboards – No Plans T

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by jwb1, May 7, 2020.

1. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    No point cutting off your nose to spite your face if forward compatibility is the concern.

Hopefully AMD will learn from this. Maybe we'll get lucky and the fan backlash willl force their hand - who knows.

2. Celcius

Celcius Master Guru

GPU:
    Orchid Pro Designer
    I'm asking this in a completely non-adversarial way; how do you envision this proposed AM4+ concept manifesting itself? I admit I'm not sure what that means. Are you saying that motherboards that follow X570 and B550 should accommodate some future processor that has an IMC that will handle both DDR4 and DDR5? (Much like most of the 2nd-generation K10 desktop processors could work with either DDR2 or DDR3.)

For the benefit of those who have, or will, purchase 500-series motherboards, that would be wonderful, but obviously it does nothing to improve the situation for those with older chipsets. Also, that would likely be a motherboard with just two DIMM slots for either memory type. I mean, one can cram 64Gb of DDR4 into just two slots, if necessary, if you can live with the cost.

Unrelated thought... I think it's amazing that if one wanted to, you could actually mount the heatsink/fan supplied with original Socket 754 Athlon 64 on a Socket AM4 motherboard. Probably not a good idea beyond, perhaps, a Bristol Ridge chip, but talk about compatibility...

3. kapu

kapu Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon 7800XT
    I wanted to upgrade to 3300X now from my i5 7600k but i can't :O . So they launched new cpu but there is no mobo to support it ( no one in right mind will buy b450 now).

4. Mundosold

Mundosold Master Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3090 FE
    AMD fanboys are in for a rude awakening when they learn that AMD is just as anticompetitive as Intel. Intel had $1000 Extreme Edition cpus back in the Pentium 4 days. And guess what, once AMD was ahead of Intel, they also had $1000 Athlon FX cpus. Athlon 64 was not some golden age of computing, the chips were expensive and short lived between the period of Prescott and Core.
    I don't have a problem with AMD making money but the idea that they are the kind hearted underdog compared to ruthless Intel is complete fantasy. Same with their GPUs.
    AMD is only cheaper and "nicer" because they lack the dominance in the market for anything else.

5. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Hm the upcoming Zen 3 CPUs should be the last generation using AM4 shouldn't it ?

I initially planned to get a Ryzen 4000 as upgrade for my 1700x by the end of the year - but as i have to get a new mainboard for the same platform as before just at the end of its life.. i'm quite unsure :/

6. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I am purchasing a b450 board only because I don't care about Zen3 since there is little difference in terms of performance.

GamerBoyManuel16 likes this.
  7. GamerBoyManuel16

GamerBoyManuel16 Member Guru

GPU:
    RX 6800 XT
    Yah but i've got an x370 based board with zen 1 + they said they'll support it till 2020
    it's not a big deal for now for me but it's a bit sad, i'll watch the situation and maybe get an 3600 later this year - it will be fine :D

8. Fox2232

Fox2232 Guest

GPU:
    6900XT+AW@240Hz
    Isn't it 2nd time in this thread you wrote this? What makes you believe Zen3 will have smaller IPC or performance per core jump over Zen2, than Zen2 had over Zen1?
    AMD managed to deliver much bigger jump than intel did with any of their Core generations. And they seem to think that they can keep doing that.

9. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    I have seen YouTube Videos about it and read articles about it. They say it is only 10-15%.
    https://ownsnap.com/amd-zen-3-deskt...ce-have-8-core-per-ccx-with-unified-l3-cache/

Last edited: May 13, 2020
  10. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC

11. ManofGod

ManofGod Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro
    LOL! So, show me the anti competitive things AMD has done so far to damage and destroy their competition, illegally? I will wait.........

12. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Interesting. I stand corrected. It seems a much bigger jump than I realize.

ManofGod likes this.
  13. Loophole35

Loophole35 Guest

GPU:
    EVGA 1080ti SC
    Though if you are on ZEN2 or Coffee lake I'd wait for AM5 and DDR5.

14. Fender178

Fender178 Ancient Guru

GPU:
    GTX 1070 | GTX 1060
    Also good point. I am currently on my i7 4790k rig so any upgrade would be huge for me. Like either the 3700x or the Zen3 variant of that.

15. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    One individual calls out the understanding of English words and then falls flat at it themselves. Until means up to. We are in 2020. Until means December 31, 2019 is the last day for consideration. Like I said this thread is a giant troll job by the op. AMD ahs stuck to road map verbatim and now people are shocked at that. Insanity has truly taken over. Just plain sad that people make assumptions and then cannot admit that those assumptions were unfounded to begin with.

16. Valerys

Valerys Master Guru

GPU:
    Gigabyte RTX2080S
    They said they'll support the AM4 socket compatibility through 2020, not up to or until 2020.
    I'd still wait until 4000 series launches and see if there's a real reason to be mad at this news.

17. TiePhiter

TiePhiter Member

GPU:
    Vega 64 LC
    Between AMD calling a CPU refresh "2nd Gen" (This happened, people for some reason allow it and I don't understand why) and them taking away PCIE 4.0 to sell motherboards, and now this new move, again, just to sell more boards..... I have lost a TON of faith in AMD.

I don't care who it was, Motherboard manufacturers, or AMD, the fact is these are artificial limitations. Period.

I had PCIE 4.0 functioning ABSOLUTELY FLAWLESSLY with my 3600 and my Asus Crosshair VI Hero. Both m.2 and first 16x PCIE slot.

Zen 3 would 100% work in all existing AMD boards. As it has been said, this has been left up to Motherboard manufacturers by AMD (Which is no better IMO than making the decision themselves). I'm hoping people are understanding that literally means that Zen 3 IS compatible, they're just not doing it.

I have to admit though, Intel is doing no better with their 10th Gen launch. Absolutely hilarious slides.

18. nick0323

nick0323 Maha Guru

GPU:
    Asus DUAL RTX2060S
    Wow, this thread. This video helped me to understand the issue clearly.

19. Shakey_Jake33

Shakey_Jake33 Guest

GPU:
    GeForce RTX 4070
    Had a few days to think about this. The problem AMD have is they've essentially made Ryzen 4000 a poor investment. For most people on a B series motherboard, investing in a B550 or X570 board which will be depreciated as soon as Ryzen 5000 hits (assuming it will be AM5) just doesn't make sense. Staying put on Ryzen 3000 is more sensible unless you already have an X570 board.

Personally, it's not too bad for me. I have a 2700 and planned to upgrade to a 4000 series but will likely make it a 3900/X instead. Buying a new B550 board won't even be considered because, frankly, what would be the point? Wait for AM5 to upgrade board.

20. Clouseau

Clouseau Ancient Guru

GPU:
    ZOTAC AMP RTX 3070
    If they said through 2020, explain this slide that was issued by them at the launch of the B450 motherboards.

[​IMG]