AMD Launches Robot Cache, a video-game marketplace to buy PC games

Discussion in 'Frontpage news' started by Hilbert Hagedoorn, May 13, 2020.

1. Hilbert Hagedoorn

Hilbert Hagedoorn Don Vito Corleone Staff Member

GPU:
    AMD | NVIDIA
    JonasBeckman likes this.
  2. vestibule

vestibule Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Radeon RX6600XT
  3. sverek

sverek Guest

GPU:
    NOVIDIA -0.5GB
    Doesn't sound like a good deal for publishers.

Interesting idea though, but I guess AMD will optimize mining algorithm to benefit AMD CPU/GPU, so they can sell more hardware for mining. Seems shady to me.

4. asturur

asturur Maha Guru

GPU:
    Geforce Gtx 1080TI
    That is not an issue, for me they can also lock mining to their cpu/gpu, is their platform anyway.
    My question is, where is going my cpu power, to do what?
    They are not giving you games for free because you mine a coin that is just to buy/sell games.

Solfaur and Duke Nil like this.

5. Mesab67

Mesab67 Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Some transparency on exact mining use would be wise.

Duke Nil likes this.
  6. moo100times

moo100times Master Guru

GPU:
    295x2 @ stock
    Personally I would prefer a steam key resale market that is less corrupt than G2A.
    Mining may be an interesting concept, but more worried that power costs will exceed game value. Might be worth simply buying crypto directly if AMD is going to enter the mining market and drive prices up?

7. ne0x

ne0x Guest

GPU:
    GTX 1080
    Some research will net you some insights https://www.robotcache.com/blog?post=3687
    Assuming they ain't lying ( right?) Also at the same time, there is still little info on what it is anyways.

Also interesting from the policy:

"
    MININGPOOL REWARDS
    Any rewards earned by you when you access and use our Mining Pool (including any Boosts) will be paid out to you in the equivalent amount of IRON, minus a fifteen percent (15%) Mining Pool fee which will be deducted from your IRON payment. We will deposit your IRON payments directly into your RC Wallet. Please see our IRON Policy for more information about IRON and RC Wallets."

8. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    If they give out the full source code for the entire operation and allow complete and total transparency, then, I will give my judgement.

Until then, I got more than enough questions with no answers, from enough companies; that have terms and conditions that do not allow me to ask questions.

user1, GSDragoon and ne0x like this.
  9. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    If you just use Steam all the bold letters aren't necessary. :p

Solfaur and DocStr4ngelove like this.
  10. DocStr4ngelove

DocStr4ngelove Ancient Guru

GPU:
    MSI 3080TI Ventus3X
    How about just buying the singleplayer campaign of a game like Battlefield V and save the money for the MP part (which is full of bugs and cheaters anyway) ?

Now that would be something.

11. Loobyluggs

Loobyluggs Ancient Guru

GPU:
    RTX 3060 12GB
    EXACTLY !

Solfaur likes this.
  12. jbscotchman

jbscotchman Guest

GPU:
    MSI 1660 Ti Ventus
    I KNOW RIGHT!

Solfaur likes this.
  13. schmidtbag

schmidtbag Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asrock 7700XT
    If you're worried about the mining then don't do it... You aren't obligated or forced to do so.

I personally see this service dying off in a couple years. AMD has commitment problems when it comes to software that isn't revolutionary.

GSDragoon likes this.
  14. Perjantai

Perjantai Member Guru

GPU:
    Asus TUF RTX3080
    Only thing that bugs me on this is the "exchange earn IRON to buy free games". If you mine with your machine and pay for electricity it isn't free..

15. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Exactly what is shady? AMD doesn't own Robot Cache. AMD is simply a tech partner. The mining algorithms aren't controlled by AMD. The algorithms are specific to the cryptocurrency you mine. But yes, AMD has worked out some marketing deal in the hopes of generating more sales. This "IRON" has no real value and outside of Robot Cache is completely useless and worthless.

This "IRON" is nothing but a marketplace currency. It's not a cryptocurrency like Bitcoin. It looks like, should you choose to "opt-in" to mine for Robot Cache, you'll join a "mining pool" with other miners. You'll be mining various cryptocurrency, which Robot Cache will keep. Robot Cache will then pay you in "IRON", their marketplace currency that has no actual value, for mining the cryptocurrency for them. Basically, they stand a chance of getting rich, while incurring minimal long-term cost. Instead, users will incur all of the cost of Robot Cache's potential financial gains.... I can't find an explanation of how they determine how much "IRON" to give you....but I'd assume it's not based off the value of your mining contribution.

AMD has commitment issues in general.....

16. fantaskarsef

fantaskarsef Ancient Guru

GPU:
    4090@H2O
    Mining... yeah right. No thanks, if I wanted this I'd have done it when it brought real money, not dirt cheep digital licenses to play games.

17. itpro

itpro Maha Guru

GPU:
    AMD Testing
    Robot Cache is a revolutionary storefront built upon 3 pillars:
    1) Allow gamers to re-sell their digital game & get 25% back
    2) Blockchain allowed us to be more efficient & give higher % of sales to devs: 95 vs. 70
    3) Opt-in mining feature allows gamers to make money every month https://t.co/0mVOYuHtPP

18. sykozis

sykozis Ancient Guru

GPU:
    Asus RX6700XT
    Problem is, the gamers aren't making money. They're getting a digital currency that is essentially worthless, while Robot Cache keeps whatever is actually mined..... If things go in Robot Cache's favor, gamers/miners get bigger electric bills and Robot Cache gets deeper pockets.....but gamers/miners are never actually reimbursed for the associated cost...

19. vbetts

vbetts Don Vincenzo Staff Member

GPU:
    GTX 1080 Ti
    More or less it's a risk for reward type of situation, in this case reward not being any actual money made unless you're able to sell your games you earned by the risk being using your computer to do the hard work. Honestly, if you're comfortable with the strain on your computer or you even have just a spare little system you don't care much about to earn the currency it's not a horrible deal. You're adding to your electric bill, but this isn't going to tip the scale for your electric bill.